General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What are your plans for your Oldsmobile(s) after you're gone?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2019, 04:38 AM

I'm glad this old thread got revived. I never looked at it before. You know I never knew anything about, or cared for, Hudsons or Packards. I'm sure a lot of younger people feel that way about Oldsmobiles, Mercurys, Plymouths,and Pontiacs. I am 62 and have thought a lot about what will happen to my Olds. My oldest stepson (there are 2 whom I love dearly) is not a car guy but he says he wants the 71 Cutlass as that is his birth year. I think if he got it he would never use it and it would sit and deteriorate as so many cars do.... I have thought about asking him would he like to buy the car for 1/2 the value as a rhetorical question. For example, when the wife and I are gone, if the car is worth $20,000 would he rather get $10,000 cash or get the car? I am thinking about asking him this question and possibly sell the car when we stop using it. He and his brother will get 1/2 each of our estate so it really works out to them getting a combination of cash or goods.
On another thought, yesterday I went with a friend to see a old guy who has a HO Railroad in his basement. It is cool as hell, very elaborate and I'm sure expensive. He and my buddy are really into this hobby. You can operate the train and pickup and drop off the cars at different locations along the track (power plant, factories, warehouse etc). Well I looked at this huge setup (it takes up 1/2 of his basement) and thought what will happen to it when he passes? If I bought his house the first thing I would want was the train setup to be removed. I'll bet 99% of people would want it gone. My point is "If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand". If you aren't into old cars (or HO trains) you never will be. I guess we should all just enjoy or lives and not worry about what happens after we are gone.
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:32 AM

Nine years later and my thoughts are the same. The forum has had quite a few members pass since this thread was started.
Old May 17th, 2019, 12:53 PM

I've already talked to my kids about this. My 9 y/o son is showing excitement looking forward to helping me rebuilding the SBO in the Cutlass, so he'll likely get that passed to him. My 16 y/o daughter has expressed interest in the T/A, which fits nicely since she'll be learning to drive a MT soon. It'd be nice to keep these in the family for at least another generation.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

My mindset hasnt changed. I love my car and have done alot of work to it but the value in it is the memories and things others could never enjoy they way i did. To 90 percent of people its just a car. Once I'm gone fate will just have to do its job it will either be scrap or live on as someone elses dream. I hope that if someone else takes over they change it and make it theirs.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Nine years later and my thoughts are the same. The forum has had quite a few members pass since this thread was started.
Yeah, same here. Whatever happens to it happens. Hopefully all the tools and whatnot in the garage will go to someone who can use them. My wife is savy enough to sell them or give them away to whomever.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Olds Fever

I have thought about this issue on several occasions... To aide my wife from having to deal with the magnitude of my collection of cars and parts, I have started to downsize... I have just recently sold two of my vehicles and occasionally list parts for sale, especially those that I have multiples of... I also tag and price a lot of items so that she is aware of the value... I comprised a list of personal contacts (in addition to certain family members) that I trust, for her to use when she is ready to liquidate... What remains will become part of my estate and disposition will be made according to my last will and testament... Beyond all of that, I will enjoy it while I still have it...
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:50 AM
same but different

If you want to leave a titled machine to someone, check with your DMV to get a TOD. Transfer on Death. You can check with your bank and other holdings too, if they allow this on your financials. Keeps things simple and quick and out of the courts. State regulations vary.

Estate planning might sound morbid but its a smart move.

If you don't do any planning it can be seen as a dick move. My opinion. Don't let your family have to wade through this process. It ain't pretty nor is it timely.
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:24 AM

I don't have to worry about my cars; I'll be gone. The cars are my hobby - not my family's. They get to figure out what to do with 3 sheds of parts, a few project cars and some Vista Cruisers.
We have 4 sons and, so far, 9 grandkids. If they need the money then hopefully what they sell will help them out.
Old August 16th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Oldscarnut

After I'm Gone

Let me see...well first of all I'm not going! Okay so I will probably quit driving before I go as I can't imagine a scenario for me where both happen at once! I have two son, #1 is 32 and has never shown any interest in my Oldsmobiles or other restorations. He likes Fast and Furious cars more than muscle car era and he had some difficulty obeying traffic laws. I don't think he lusts after my tools or toys. #2 Son is 13. He shows a little more interest in "classic cars", but does not like to get dirty and greasy and listen to my tyrades when the freakin bolt just spins. The timing may be better for him to get my car while he's still in high school, but the Muscle Car should not be trusted to a teen who lives on winding back roads. My wife at 4'11" cannot get close enough to the pedals. She also cannot master the cold start of a 68 engine. She might need pedal extensions to even set the choke, and if it is hard to start one time, it would have a for sale sign on it. I'm afraid no one in my immediate family has what it takes to maintain a car that needs maintenance and constant tinkering. I ALWAYS loved to tinker. My dad said my cars were supertuned better than any race car. I was always adjusting and timing and tweaking. I don't like the brakes for people who never had the old style power brakes, and El Caminos are light in the rear which would make them treacherous for the inexperienced. I suspect, if I am able to find a buyer, it will be sold and the money divided. If I go before the car, I will find a contact to help them find the right buyer. It is important to me that the years of toil is for someone who appreciates the work and the condition and will take it to the next person without chopping it, putting a freaking LS engine, 20 inch rims and a GD Cowl Hood. If I wanted to ruin the car I could have done that for half the cost, but I wanted a cruiser, typical of a GM Muscle Car, with manners, and not in your face graphics and bling. That does it...as I said, I am not going!

Last edited by Chuck Cole; September 23rd, 2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old August 16th, 2019, 07:07 PM

Imo. If a car gets chopped up ,20's and an LS then it is what it is. Once we are gone we cant control it. The big reason many kids don't wanna get into the hobby is because guys are too traditional. I'm 30 and got into this in high school and have had had to deal with that adversity of bringing in a different element of youth to it while somewhat keeping it old school. The young guys want what young guys had in the 70's fix up a 400 dollar car and make it something that is your creation , custom paint , wheels, built engines. Same concept different era. After all our cars in scrap aint worth anything . It's only worth what someone is willing to pay or what its worth to the individual which really isnt anything because we all value things differently. Sorry to get off subject but in this thread there is many things being said which is a big issue in the hobby and why no younger generation wants to do it. Young guys back then had no restrictions so why should we restrict the cars now. It takes the youth element out of it which is ironic . End of rant sorry .
Old August 16th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Oldscarnut

It's why I said I am not going. I don't want to control anyone. Their car and tastes is theirs. I just have my taste and opinion for MY OWN car. I'm all for creative, but not on the classics. There are plenty of cars that are worth zip in a junk yard until they are given a new chance. I chose my project because a V6 Buick El Camino is not too rare, parts are available and they are affordable and there are a lot of variations that can come. So MINE is what you say it is, only from a 70's -80's point of view. I went backward for simplicity and affordability and it is where ALL of my experience is. I applaud those who can afford better brakes, more reliable, better MPG, but all those things cost more, and require a whole different set of skills. and technology that has its own set of faults. I happen to believe that it is important to keep some cars exactly like they were brand new so that future generations can see them as they were. Cars are not made to be in museums, they are made to be driven. We still need Model T's and A's on the road. Those restored ones have their place too. Hot Rods did essentially what you are talking about. I liked Hot Rods even. I am pretty sure I was writing about my car when I am done. If I have a choice, it will remain as it is today. The next guy may do with it what he wants as it will no longer be mine to control. It goes to scrap then!
Old August 16th, 2019, 10:26 PM

Again its just a thought ., but in some.of these threads like this topic you find many of the reason why younger guys dont do this aspect of the car hobby . That's all im getting at.

Last edited by coppercutlass; August 16th, 2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old August 18th, 2019, 09:03 AM

My Grandson will get both of my Vintage cars. The first is a body off restoration 66 Cutlass I have had since 1975 and a fully restored 1928 Model A Ford that was my dad's car and has been in the family since 1962. I tell him, if you don't want or can't maintain them, sell them and use the money for something important, don't just waste it.
Old August 18th, 2019, 07:47 PM

I'll never understand why people won't get a Will drawn up by a lawyer who specializes in Wills. They can make suggestions as to what to do with things, and put everything in the correct legal language. And tons of parts are useless if the heirs don't know what they are, what they are worth, and how to go about finding a buyer. I had an ex uncle who left a house literally FULL of antiques, and more than half of it was given away or thrown out. They filled 3 full sized dumpsters. Instead of leaving a fortune to his kids, he left a big headache, and a badly neglected home that was almost given away due to it's condition of containing a HOARD for decades. If you want to do your heirs a big favor, have your wishes in the correct legal writing, not a hand written note, give away or sell large collections before you're too old to do anything about them, and keep things as simple as possible. In other words, PLAN for your demise, just like you plan for other things like moving and retirement, none of us live forever.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 04:23 AM

Unfortunately our cars may be illegal to drive one day in the not too distant future if the radicals get their way (as they fly around lecturing people about "climate change"). To most people with common sense our old cars are a tiny insignificant drop in the bucket of overall pollution, but others see us, or anyone that drives, as corporate polluters.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 09:50 AM
Oldscarnut

I live in one of the states where radical views are the mainstream. It is more than tiresome to see them spend trillions on mass transit all the while forcing people further and further from the cities because the taxes climb so fast and property values with them. I hope some day cooler heads will prevail, and that old stand-by live and let live returns. Some seem to think it is their job to think for the rest of us, and on some issues they want diversity to rule but don't ever disagree with them, because only they can think diversely! I'm glad when I see what is going on that I won't be here when the next civil war begins!
Old September 23rd, 2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 72442conv
Don't know, and I am not too concerned with the car. I have no kids and no one to leave it to. Hopefully I will recognize when I have become too old and sell it to someone that will appreciate it. Anyone that pays what these cars are worth today will probably treat it well and appreciate it.

I will tell you a cautionary tale, to those that leave cars and parts and do not get rid of them while they still can. My best friend many decades ago was a hardcore Chevy guy. He has at least 5-6 Camaros, some beautiful cars and others in different stages of restoration, and had a collection of parts that was enviable. Stuff you collect when you were young in the 70's and it was cheap and no one wanted it... Tons of BB and small block heads, complete engines, including tri-power 427's, 396/375's, 350 LT1's, 327/350, 454's... Had a convertible pace car, a real 396/375 car a 1970 Z28 etc... He got killed in a hold up one night coming in from the street races in one of his 69 Camaros. Next day and for the following weeks a bunch of friends and family went in to the garage and started raiding it, a ton of the good stuff was taken by family and friends never to be seen again. His wife, now a widow, with a 5 year old girl was never given anything by any of these thieves... It was heart breaking.... Obviously my buddy had no idea he was going to die, and he was young, but if you are getting ahead in years try to start getting rid of the over stock and get it to others that will use it and appreciate it. If you die and it is just left there, it may not be pretty, and a lot of it may end up in the garbage, by those that do not care and/or do not know...
Very sad and so true. When my uncle died, his son had a dumpster brought up and sold it all for $20/ton. We managed to save a bunch of specialty tools and a bunch of brass out of the bin but the rest, garbage.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 03:14 PM
Oldscarnut

Old October 6th, 2019, 09:53 AM

Used to be a couple guys from Holland, that would come by my shop and buy up 70's and 80's, old, Mercedes diesels to resell. Apparently there are now restrictions or bans on same said vehicles. I forget what they were trying to buy now.
The global-warming scammers are out for nothing BUT MONEY...for THEMSELVES. Petulant little children demanding we all bow down to their perversions.
Well, I'm old ( over half a century ) , somewhat educated, have half a brain and am not easily manipulated into believing utter idiocy as the truth. I've noticed, for instance, that the loudest tantrum throwers possess so much money that all of the restrictions they wish to impose on the likes of my ilk will not have one iota of a restriction on THEIR LIVES as they spew more pollutants on one jaunt than I will have in the entirety of my days on the planet.
But hey, what do I know?
Old October 6th, 2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by davebw31
Kennybill: My car is NOT damaged nor is it a driver. The RE Olds Museum is NOT a private museum. It is held in trust with a board of directors. If you saw my car you would understand WHY they would not sell it!
Please excuse me, but in my esteemed ( not opinion the VERY PURPOSE OF "A CAR" was that it was to be DRIVEN.
Perhaps this is your "safe queen"-what guys I know refer to their mint, UNFIRED firearms?
Still...
But hey, what do I know?
Maybe it has 14 miles on it and not a speck of dust...
Old October 6th, 2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Cole
I live in one of the states where radical views are the mainstream. It is more than tiresome to see them spend trillions on mass transit all the while forcing people further and further from the cities because the taxes climb so fast and property values with them. I hope some day cooler heads will prevail, and that old stand-by live and let live returns. Some seem to think it is their job to think for the rest of us, and on some issues they want diversity to rule but don't ever disagree with them, because only they can think diversely! I'm glad when I see what is going on that I won't be here when the next civil war begins!
Right. I like the FACT that you can own and possess certain Class II suppressors...but you can't USE THEM in WA!
Have to travel to OR shoots.

What a joke.
Old October 6th, 2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Cole
Right. I like the FACT that you can own and possess certain Class II suppressors...but you can't USE THEM in WA!
Have to travel to OR shoots.

What a joke.