Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > General > General Discussion
What are your plans for your Oldsmobile(s) after you're gone? >

What are your plans for your Oldsmobile(s) after you're gone?

General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What are your plans for your Oldsmobile(s) after you're gone?

Old May 17th, 2019, 04:38 AM

I'm glad this old thread got revived. I never looked at it before. You know I never knew anything about, or cared for, Hudsons or Packards. I'm sure a lot of younger people feel that way about Oldsmobiles, Mercurys, Plymouths,and Pontiacs. I am 62 and have thought a lot about what will happen to my Olds. My oldest stepson (there are 2 whom I love dearly) is not a car guy but he says he wants the 71 Cutlass as that is his birth year. I think if he got it he would never use it and it would sit and deteriorate as so many cars do.... I have thought about asking him would he like to buy the car for 1/2 the value as a rhetorical question. For example, when the wife and I are gone, if the car is worth $20,000 would he rather get $10,000 cash or get the car? I am thinking about asking him this question and possibly sell the car when we stop using it. He and his brother will get 1/2 each of our estate so it really works out to them getting a combination of cash or goods.
On another thought, yesterday I went with a friend to see a old guy who has a HO Railroad in his basement. It is cool as hell, very elaborate and I'm sure expensive. He and my buddy are really into this hobby. You can operate the train and pickup and drop off the cars at different locations along the track (power plant, factories, warehouse etc). Well I looked at this huge setup (it takes up 1/2 of his basement) and thought what will happen to it when he passes? If I bought his house the first thing I would want was the train setup to be removed. I'll bet 99% of people would want it gone. My point is "If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand". If you aren't into old cars (or HO trains) you never will be. I guess we should all just enjoy or lives and not worry about what happens after we are gone.
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:32 AM

Nine years later and my thoughts are the same. The forum has had quite a few members pass since this thread was started.
Old May 17th, 2019, 12:53 PM

I've already talked to my kids about this. My 9 y/o son is showing excitement looking forward to helping me rebuilding the SBO in the Cutlass, so he'll likely get that passed to him. My 16 y/o daughter has expressed interest in the T/A, which fits nicely since she'll be learning to drive a MT soon. It'd be nice to keep these in the family for at least another generation.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

My mindset hasnt changed. I love my car and have done alot of work to it but the value in it is the memories and things others could never enjoy they way i did. To 90 percent of people its just a car. Once I'm gone fate will just have to do its job it will either be scrap or live on as someone elses dream. I hope that if someone else takes over they change it and make it theirs.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill View Post
Nine years later and my thoughts are the same. The forum has had quite a few members pass since this thread was started.
Yeah, same here. Whatever happens to it happens. Hopefully all the tools and whatnot in the garage will go to someone who can use them. My wife is savy enough to sell them or give them away to whomever.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Olds Fever

I have thought about this issue on several occasions... To aide my wife from having to deal with the magnitude of my collection of cars and parts, I have started to downsize... I have just recently sold two of my vehicles and occasionally list parts for sale, especially those that I have multiples of... I also tag and price a lot of items so that she is aware of the value... I comprised a list of personal contacts (in addition to certain family members) that I trust, for her to use when she is ready to liquidate... What remains will become part of my estate and disposition will be made according to my last will and testament... Beyond all of that, I will enjoy it while I still have it...
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:50 AM
same but different

If you want to leave a titled machine to someone, check with your DMV to get a TOD. Transfer on Death. You can check with your bank and other holdings too, if they allow this on your financials. Keeps things simple and quick and out of the courts. State regulations vary.

Estate planning might sound morbid but its a smart move.

If you don't do any planning it can be seen as a dick move. My opinion. Don't let your family have to wade through this process. It ain't pretty nor is it timely.
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:24 AM

I don't have to worry about my cars; I'll be gone. The cars are my hobby - not my family's. They get to figure out what to do with 3 sheds of parts, a few project cars and some Vista Cruisers.
We have 4 sons and, so far, 9 grandkids. If they need the money then hopefully what they sell will help them out.