General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

WHAT to use on a dash pad - not Armor-All.. why?

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2021, 08:06 AM

WHAT to use on a dash pad - not Armor-All.. why?

Want to keep my original dash pad uncracked, but many say DO NOT use Armor-All... why is that?

What can be used to replace the dried-out plasticizers on vinyl pads that is safe and helps then stay uncracked and soft?
My vinyl seats are also becoming hard and need some help.
Old April 29th, 2021, 09:00 AM

Armorall should not be used because it is said that it replaces the plasticizers and it will be bad if you don't keep applying it.

I have had good success with Vinyl-X.
Old April 29th, 2021, 09:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

The problem with Armor-All and the like is that it outgasses in the sun and coats the inside of your windshield with spooge. I've been unable to remove this film with anything less aggressive than lacquer thinner.
Old April 29th, 2021, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Armorall should not be used...it will be bad if you don't keep applying it..
^^^X2^^^
Once you start using Armor-All you can never stop. If you do stop, the surface deteriorates even faster and worse than it was before you started using the product.
Old April 29th, 2021, 09:41 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Not sure how the ingredients compare to Armor All, it may be the same base ingredients, but this stuff cleans better and looks WAY more natural than armor all. I originally discovered it by contacting Meguiars and asking them what I can use on a vinyl top that doesn't make it look greasy and won't leave streaks on the paint when it gets wet. This product fits the bill. It's now the only thing I use on the vinyl top and all of my interiors.

https://www.meguiars.com/professiona...ioner-m4016-16

Some of the old school guys that I know use and swear by floor wax made for vinyl tile floors. From what I understand there's more of a prep/application process that goes into this. I've personally never tried it, but I've seen it done. I've also seen people use mineral oil as a conditioner. I've never tried that one either.

Last edited by ijasond; April 29th, 2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old April 29th, 2021, 10:16 AM

I have been using Wipe-New for the past few years. I apply it once in the spring and it looks great up through the fall when I put her back in storage.
Old April 29th, 2021, 10:18 AM

It seems that armor all leaves a very greasy/ oily film behind after you use it. I have been using a combination of these lately. I did all of the original soft parts (dash pad, door pads, etc) on my Toro with great success. The only thing is, the stuff they are soaked in wears out pretty quick so you can go through them fast if you are doing a whole interior. After applying, if you notice too much of a film, a microfiber towel evens the surfaces out nicely with a good shine but no oily film left behind. The used up protectant wipes work well under the hood to remove dust from core supports, inner fenders, etc. Included are some interior shots before and after. Obviously I repainted all of the metal parts, but the soft and plastic parts were all done using these.

Before Car had been in storage from 1986-2017 See dash close-up to get an idea of the storage conditions:

After: Dash pads, head rests, door panels, 8-track case, kick panels steering wheel center all restored with these. I coat them every few months to keep them looking good.

Old April 29th, 2021, 10:19 AM

I'm with Koda, Vinyl X, nothing better that I know of. For vinyl roofs, I always used Future floor wax. I use Ragtop on my vinyl 'verts, but I'm not impressed with it. I've tried 303 and I'm not real impressed with that stuff, either. Back in the late 60's, I remember using this tire black stuff on my MT's. It was like shoe polish, like a wax, and it was just killer stuff, and lasted a long time. Now there's a wazillion products to do your tires, and they mostly all suck for one reason or another. Armorall is the worst stuff on the planet. If you don't keep using it your stuff will crack.
Old April 29th, 2021, 11:21 AM

I've used the floor-wax type stuff for years on vinyl tops, NAPA used to make such a product made just for auto tops, but we haven't had a vinyl top car for years, until now.

Have used 303 with great success on our boat seats over the years, the directions say to wipe it off totally after applying so though it will look cleaner it does not leave any kind of sheen at all, but is supposedly the best UV protectant, though it doesn't really enhance the looks any. However it works well protecting the vinyl from drying out and splitting on our pontoon boat, lots of vinyl seats on that thing! I just wonder if any product can effectively replace the plasticizers in the dash pad that out-gas over the years. Dash pads are expensive! We need a plastics specializing organic chemist to consult.

Last edited by holidaysedan; April 29th, 2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old April 29th, 2021, 11:42 AM

Years ago everyone said the Armor ALL would dry out the dash pads and they would crack so I use the Mothers LRV for the dash just the same as Meguires protectant , AND Raggtopp for the Vinyl top, it drys and is not greasy or runny, its made for convertible tops to preserve them, a nice natural shine
Old April 30th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Old(s)GuysRule

Vaseline works well for keeping dash pads from cracking. Sounds kinda messy but just wipe the dash down with a clean rag before you go for a drive. When you get back, slather some more vaseline on it.
Old April 30th, 2021, 12:34 PM

Oh, Vinylx is slick. Don't put it on the wheel or the mats if you're going driving that day.
Old April 30th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Olds Fanatic

I've been using 303 for many years and am happy with the results.

Armor-All is the devil in disguise.
Old April 30th, 2021, 07:17 PM

X2 on Aerospace 303
Old April 30th, 2021, 07:28 PM
72Cutlass S

Both of these products work really well and don’t leave a greasy film.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/search?...l&lang=default