General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What is this pillar hole for and what clips for vinyl molding?

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM

What is this pillar hole for and what clips for vinyl molding?

My 72 Supreme previously had a vinyl top. I thought the belt moldings on the rear pillars had weld studs with plastic clips to hold this trim here? I realize the hole near the deck lid is for the corner piece that is a bolt through. I can see the welded holes here from inside the trunk compartment. There is an idenitcal hole on the opposite side. They look factory drilled. Why is this additional hole here? I plan on putting the vinyl top back on the car. I have already acquired all the pieces needed. On that same note does anyone know which clips I need. Parts Place is the only one I have found to have these, but they list 3 different sizes and don't differentiate between models or years on these. They show....

Body Green 5/8 X 3/4
Body Clear 3/8 X 5/8
Body large 1/2 X 3/4

It looks to me to be the 1/2" since the width of this molding is slightly bigger than that, but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cutlass_006.jpg (24.2 KB, 26 views)
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Do a search for 70 door margin/gaps. Someone posted a link where you can find the 70 Fisher body book..... I think the hole is for one of those clips that have the stud, similar to the ones used on the ends of the long trim piece that runs along the trunk/back window, as you mentioned. The trim piece that runs on the side of the C post, uses one of the clips with a stud on the end (I think both ends), because short corner trim piece (rear piece) has a tab that slides under the C post side trim. It seems they used the stud type clip/s when two trim piece come together...in some cases...
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Del70 is correct. Were did the studs go?