General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What Option was this for?

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What Option was this for?

Tuesday I was cleaning the garage and moving 30 boxes of Cutlass parts to the shed - I need the space soon for winter. I can't believe how many neat parts I've accumulated over the years! One of the items I carted out was a 1970-72 lower dash panel. (this is the part that has the radio/AC heater escutcheons etc.)

Anyway, I was checking it out because I need to cut the hole in my dash for the factory Cruise Control. This lower dash was obviously from a ragtop and was cut appropriately. When I turned over the dash, I noticed that on the right side (next to the radio cutout) there is ANOTHER factory cutout area for what looks like another dash switch. Does anyone know what this would have been intended for? My best guess is that these cars were designed to originally have a power antenna. It could work out nicely for me because my car will have 2 rear window defoggers. One will be the forced air, and the other is the rear defog on glass. I could put the other defogger next to the radio, or beside the cruise; just haven't decided which way to go. I would obviously have to get a trim plate made for 'Defog'. There are local companies that can do this for me.

I'll get a pic tomorrow. Anyone else notice this cutout area on their lower dash?
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:08 AM

Ejection seat button!!
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Possibly power antenna - - -
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
This might have been a forethought for just that, but the pwr ant was never an option on that year.
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
That's what it's for in a 68 & 69
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:19 AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
allan gauges.jpg (47.8 KB, 144 views)
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Oldsdruid

Cruise, Night-Watch, conv top or power antenna are the only things that come to mind and those were almost always on LH side of dash. I've never seen a car with a switch between the radio and HVAC control. Remote RH mirror was still a few years in the future.

Defog switches were always incorporated into the HVAC faceplate- dealer jobs came with appropriate faceplate in the kit, that had to be changed out.
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Always room for one more

What about the power rear window on a wagon?

Mike
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
This might have been a forethought for just that, but the pwr ant was never an option on that year.
That was my thinking too. Do you know if there was a power ant option in the 69 that might have foreshadowed this to the design of the 70 dash?

Not there Tony, it is to the right of the radio. I'll get a pic later and post it so you can see what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Cruise, Night-Watch, conv top or power antenna are the only things that come to mind and those were almost always on LH side of dash. I've never seen a car with a switch between the radio and HVAC control. Remote RH mirror was still a few years in the future.

Defog switches were always incorporated into the HVAC faceplate- dealer jobs came with appropriate faceplate in the kit, that had to be changed out.
Exactly. And the night watch was mounted down below the lower dash - screwed to the metal sub frame, next to the T44 hood lock option. Defog switches as noted, with one exception - you didn't always have to replace the escutcheon plate; some dealers would install a simple rocker switch to control the rear (blower type) defogger. If it was an electric rear defog on glass, yes the escutcheon plate would be changed along with adding a special harness, relay and rear glass.

Originally Posted by slantflat
What about the power rear window on a wagon?
Mike
Hi Mike! The rear power window on a wagon was also on the left side of the steering column. There was room for it since the only other option at the time was Cruise.

I was thinking about drilling it out and putting a spare rocker switch there labelled "Security"
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Oldsdruid

68-69 power antenna, conv top and wagon rear window switches were located above the radio.

No idea what kind of switch would have gone in that location.
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Nothing in the assembly manual that hints to it either
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mystery Option pics

Ok, just got in and have pics
Everyone's familiar with the backside of the left dash. This dash was cut from the factory for a vert

Front side of same section

Now, for the mystery option: Here's the backside of the dash - to the right side of the radio (from the front) Because of it's location I think it was originally going to be a switch for a power antenna. I plan to cut out the area and use it with a switch - possibly label it "Security" or " Ejector".

And the front looks just like you'd expect any Cutlass dash to look like

I was planning to use this dash as a practice unit for mine. Or it will replace mine if it turns out really nice. Will have to change its color though. This one is probably the same as Lady's. (sans Cruise). I know the radio holes have been overcut - the guy who sold me this told me it was, but not seriously enough to be a problem. Some JB Weld will patch it back to new condition if I need to.
Attached Images
IMG_1892.jpg (71.3 KB, 85 views)
IMG_1893.jpg (71.8 KB, 84 views)
IMG_1894.jpg (68.2 KB, 83 views)
IMG_1895.jpg (74.9 KB, 81 views)
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Allan R

Now, for the mystery option: Here's the backside of the dash - to the right side of the radio (from the front) Because of it's location I think it was originally going to be a switch for a power antenna. I plan to cut out the area and use it with a switch - possibly label it "Security" or " Ejector".

And the front looks just like you'd expect any Cutlass dash to look like

I was planning to use this dash as a practice unit for mine. Or it will replace mine if it turns out really nice. Will have to change its color though. This one is probably the same as Lady's. (sans Cruise). I know the radio holes have been overcut - the guy who sold me this told me it was, but not seriously enough to be a problem. Some JB Weld will patch it back to new condition if I need to.
Allan, I may be blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, but I don't see that as a cutout location. It may be an attachment point for something, or it may simple be something to aid in the manufacture of the plastic piece.

However, if it were a switch location, everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room here. Look at an owners manual. It will tell you if there is a switch location there.
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:31 AM

That is the same type of arrangement as for the CRUISE switch (between the TOP and WIPER switches). Guides are there (only half on one side), as well as the screw holes.
BUT, looking closely, it would have to have a different bezel, because that lower dash mountin stud would prevent cutting the same way as for the TOP or CRUISE switches.
Allan, check fit a switch there before cutting.