General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What have you done to your Oldsmobile today

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Human
I replaced the coolant level sensor on my '95 convertible. It took a little less than a half hour, which isn't too bad, considering I'd never done one before. One helpful tool the service manual and YouTube videos fail to mention is a claw hammer. No, I didn't pound it into place; I used it as a lever to press it into place with the flat side of the head.

I also fixed a problem with the driver's door panel, which was loose on the outer edge. After re-positioning the nylon trim pins so they went back into their holes, I found the real source of the problem. The plastic around the screw down in the door pocket had broken away, leaving the screw in place but not contacting the door panel. My initial idea was to find a wide washer with a small hole that I could bend a little to make fit snugly. For such things, I generally go to this giant plastic mixed nut container in which my dad had collected the oddest assortment of screws, nuts, nails angle braces, hinges and stuff I don't even recognize. Fishing through the contents, I found the oddest thing that ended up working perfectly--a penny that had a small hole, drilled slightly off center. Even better, the penny was slightly bent. It may no longer work in a gum ball machine, but with the addition of a slightly longer screw, it's works perfectly for the door panel, which l no longer rattles when I close the door.
...and a penny saved is a penny earned..ha ha...(sorry, couldnt resist)😀
Old October 6th, 2018, 11:41 AM

What do you think guys, can I straighten this out?
Finally got a chance to pull the intake on the 455. I broke a rocker on the #4 Exhaust valve on the way home from Gettysburg. Learned the hard way I should have pulled the intake as well. This is the result of driving 90 miles with it in. Luckily no damage to the lifter or anywhere else. Last time I did a long trip I broke 2 on I think the #3 cylinder. Picked up a set of "Roller Type" rockers from Crane or Comp cams but they set up like a Chevy and didn't want to use them. Summit sells new rockers and bridges and if they are heavier steel I'm going to try those. I have a feeling the pushrods are generic Chevy and the wrong length. Anyone know where I can get Oldsmobile 455 pushrods from? I'll ask Summits Tech Support but I don't want to deal with generic Chevy parts. Unfortunately, never cared much for cross breeding but with parts getting more and more scarce for Oldsmobile I can't blame people for going that route.
Old October 6th, 2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by zeeke
What do you think guys, can I straighten this out?
Finally got a chance to pull the intake on the 455. I broke a rocker on the #4 Exhaust valve on the way home from Gettysburg. Learned the hard way I should have pulled the intake as well. This is the result of driving 90 miles with it in. Luckily no damage to the lifter or anywhere else. Last time I did a long trip I broke 2 on I think the #3 cylinder. Picked up a set of "Roller Type" rockers from Crane or Comp cams but they set up like a Chevy and didn't want to use them. Summit sells new rockers and bridges and if they are heavier steel I'm going to try those. I have a feeling the pushrods are generic Chevy and the wrong length. Anyone know where I can get Oldsmobile 455 pushrods from? I'll ask Summits Tech Support but I don't want to deal with generic Chevy parts. Unfortunately, never cared much for cross breeding but with parts getting more and more scarce for Oldsmobile I can't blame people for going that route.
You can get an adjustable pushrod to measure the length you need, and buy that length, or have them made to fit. You can determine what material you want them made of, how long you want them, and the wall thickness. Did you check your valves for sticking at operating temps, or if your valve springs are binding, or too strong?
Old October 6th, 2018, 03:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your mishap Zeke.if you’re looking to replace the damaged one I have some factory used pushrods let me know the length and I’ll check mine .
Old October 7th, 2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
Sorry to hear about your mishap Zeke.if you’re looking to replace the damaged one I have some factory used pushrods let me know the length and I’ll check mine .
OK thanks.

Fred I had the motor built by a very reputable company because I've always felt intimidated by engine rebuilds. I guess it's time to put the big boy pants on and learn. I have a 350 I'm not sure what I was going to do with, which I removed from the Cutlass. I think it may be a good learning experience to try a rebuild on that. I tried a rebuild on a Ford straight 6 300 when I was about 19 and the results of that led me to let the pro's handle the detail work. Thanks for the tip on the springs. I actually purchased an adjustable rod last year when I bought the new rockers but have no clue how to use it. I hate to say this but Youtube here I come.

Last edited by zeeke; October 7th, 2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Forward into the Past

I haven't done anything today but over the weekend, I pulled all my junk out of my Aurora to get it ready to sell (or donate to my local public radio station if it doesn't sell by the time the license plate expires in December) and that included a final radio swap. The car came to me with the factory AM/FM/CD/cassette radio but the latter two didn't work so I grabbed an AM/FM/CD/cassette unit out of a Buick at the junk yard. The Buick radio was a plug-and-play installation except the steering wheel controls worked like they do on a Buick (no fan control, temperature control in the wrong place) but I got used to it to the point that I later grabbed the 'correct' radio out of a 2000 Intrigue but never bothered to install it. That radio sat on a shelf until I got the convertible. It was advertised as having a CD player but that turned out to be a non-functioning Sony ten-disc CD changer (turns on but won't read discs) so one of the first things I did to the car was to pull the factory AM/FM/cassette unit and swap in the Intrigue radio. While I was cleaning out the Aurora, I decided to keep the Buick radio, so the convertible's original radio is now in its dash. In some ways, I like the Buick radio a little better than the Oldsmobile radio (six station preset buttons instead of five, 'c&w' tone setting, mute button on radio face and steering wheel, larger display), so I'm debating whether to put it in the convertible. Either way, another goody I found in the Aurora will be going into the convertible whenever I get around to pulling the CD changer out. It's a wired FM modulator that connects to the antenna and will give me the ability to play audio from my phone or an iPod. I'd had it in two previous cars and intended to put it in the Aurora but never got around to it. Another audio possibility would be a JVC head unit I've got sitting on the shelf. It would give me auxiliary audio input without the FM modulator and the ability to play MP3 discs, but I'd lose the steering wheel controls in the process.
Old October 15th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Forward into the Past

I should have been grading papers this afternoon, but instead I decided to tackle a little project on the convertible. The passenger door lock had stopped working except with the key and after a little research, I concluded the likely culprit was the automatic door lock actuator. It turns out it was but it wasn't. That self-contradictory statement will make more sense shortly. I sourced a NOS genuine ACDelco actuator, which arrived a week ago, and finally decided to take the door panel off today to see what was what. It turns out the actuator was fine but the rivets holding it in place had sheared off after 24 years of service (yes, it's a '95 model but it rolled off the line in October '94). The latch mechanism seemed to be in dire need of lubrication so I sprayed it down with Liquid Wrench and that loosened things up nicely. I decided since I was using the rivets that came with the replacement actuator, I'd go ahead and swap it in and put the old actuator aside in case I ever needed it. The swap was very easy and while I had things apart, I replaced several nylon door panel pins that appeared in rough shape and did the same for the driver's door panel. So now the door locks work as they should and the door panels don't rattle as much when I open and close the doors. The driver's door still rattles a bit but it's as good as I can get it without replacing the entire door panel since some crucial bits of plastic are missing.

I also pulled the non-functional CD changer out of the convertible but I didn't feel like putting the FM modulator in. I'll save that for another day.
Old October 20th, 2018, 04:41 AM

Now for a winter nap.

Time now for a winter rest. See you in the spring.
Wayne

Old October 28th, 2018, 05:23 PM

After freaking out a bunch of oncoming drivers the other night, I installed a new dimmer switch and a new plug for it. A twenty five mile drive home with my headlights flickering, flashing and going dark for several seconds at a time, I knew work was needed. A simple job, it was...
Old October 28th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Oldscarnut

I was lazy this weekend as we had winds and rain from Hawaii and it was hard to get started on anything, Since the only thing Oldsmobile I am working on is the engine, I did do some things; painted the heads, water pump, valve covers, and the bolt heads for the intake, heads and timing cover. I also painted the alternator bracket and the timing marks. Next weekend will get the harmonic balancer off and the block onto an engine stand which means I must rent a hoist. the engine is still in the bed of the El Camino. Once lon the stand I will degrease it, mic it and check the bearings etc. If I don't have have to put in pistons and bore, I will still be replacing the bearings and rings. If no Machine work, I will be starting to put it all together around Turkey Day. The only hindrance is cubic dollars!!
Old October 29th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Oldscarnut

They most always are the simplest projects that get kicked down the road. Amazing how easy they are and you wonder why you left it undone for so long! Now you can stay at the swap meets and car events until dusk!

Last edited by Chuck Cole; October 29th, 2018 at 04:24 PM. Reason: duplicated
Old October 30th, 2018, 09:39 AM
delete

Getting ready to end the season, gave it a good wash and cleaned/conditioned the seats. I tried a new cleaner Mother's VLR. I thought it would make it really pop but it was just OK. I'll use it until we get the 1st snow but haven't washed it in a while. Still need to take care of some odds & ends
Old October 30th, 2018, 04:04 PM

seat bellts

Just completed the removal, clean up and dying of the belts. I also cleaned up all the buckles. They look brand new after the dye job, except for the white GM parts label that are now black. After cleaning the buckles I painted the plastic and put a light coat of Lithium on the moving parts. They look like I just bought them and now the belts are easily adjustable. I used RIT dye and added some vinegar for a deep color.
Old November 12th, 2018, 09:23 AM
delete

Got it out for the 1st time in weeks. Cold in NY. Got it up to operating temperature and filled the tank and added Stabil. Season is pretty much over in NY.
1st time in ages I don't really have any winter plans for it.
Old November 12th, 2018, 10:03 AM

Just went out Friday evening and stored mine for winter. Cannot wait for April to come already.
Old November 12th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Oldscarnut

Talking Grommets

I did a lot of prep and painting of the little engine parts, bolt heads, valve covers, water pump, water outlet. I installed the valve cover breather grommets too! When you can't get the big things done, it is nice to work on other little things that will eventually be needed and will add to the finished quality, A few weeks ago I painted the heads. When I can, and soon, I will rent a hoist and get the engine onto the stand, then empty it for the machine shop. I was able to disassemble it enough to realize I have no harmonic balancer. It had a sold 330 one. More for my long list. Even doing most of the work myself, the engine is going to cost a total of $2500-$3000, which I was trying to avoid by NOT buying a crate engine. "The best laid plans.." At least I will know the parts are new and correct and the build was done tight. The costs have added months to my chores as I have to spread them out. It has not pushed the reupholstery, dash and headliner off the calendar and a few other upgrades I was hoping to afford. I'm not sure I will ever finish it, but the Winter is long in Washington State!
Old November 13th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Changed engine oil and filter on my 65 as well as flushed the coolant system using the block drains. Also managed to short the dipstick to the terminal on the fender, which was unprotected at the time (lesson learned). Dipstick got red hot, but didn't melt before I could finally disconnect the battery. Anyone know if the dipstick is now at a higher risk of breaking off inside the crankcase?
Thanks!
Old November 14th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Installed a Fabcraft posi unit in my 61
Old November 14th, 2018, 09:10 AM

Took my Supreme out for a drive. Haven't had 'er out in a week and I needed my fix😀
Old November 15th, 2018, 09:25 AM

Gave it a big hug before I went into work.
Old December 10th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Forward into the Past

I bid my '95 Aurora farewell on Saturday. I donated it to the local public radio station and the people from the auction came and got it just ahead of the snow. Seeing it towed off like that was a little bittersweet but it was time. I just hope I don't see it on a U-Pull-It yard in a few months. That would really suck. Now to get Dad's Silhouette sold so I can fully reclaim my driveway...
Old December 10th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Oldscarnut

Cool 68 350 engine Project

I finally took the giant step of getting the engine out of the bed of my '80 El Camino. For those who have not seen my posts, I purchased a very nice '68 Olds 350 and will rebuiild it and upgrade it to W-31 Automatic specs. Having rebuilt several 350/400/455 and always having a soft spot for Olds, I wanted to take the easier route to a V8 than a SBC. You just never see an 80's ElCo with a SBC, cowl hood and Camaro wheels So mine gets a rumbly Olds V-8, mostly because I love Olds, and also because I have a TH-350 with B-O-P pattern in the car. The Olds will replace a breathless oil dripper Buick evenfire hahaha 3.8 V-6. Lots of upgrades will be happening, but I will still run points, coil and Q-jet carb. I am not making a street-strip racer. I just want some rumble and punch on pump gas.

This weekend I rented a hoist so I could get the engine on a stand. I have already reworked the heads with bigger valves and hardened seats. The Cam is being built now. This weekend I will empty the block for the machine shop, and when its done, will begin building. It will be balanced and blueprinted as Dr. Olds did it. I plan on taking pics as I build, not disassembly, so nothing to show you yet but a Gold Block. I already have boxes and boxes of parts, gaskets and bolts. This is going to be an every day driver but mostly intended to go to swap meets and car shows (not enter). If I had more time and money, I would swap the front clip for an 80 Cutlass so that it would be representative, but you have to draw the line somewhere, right? Olds should have made this as a Diablo, Hombre, Mule, Bravado, Firenza, Alero, or something not already used in Spanish....uhhhh why Olds used Spanish is beyond me!! like ummm REO Speedpickup.
Old December 10th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Oldscarnut

I had a 95 Aurora and I felt the same way when the leasing company came to get it after my 36 months of love. It always had a check engine light come on after 2 hours or so of 65+ freeway driving....only then and the first stop and a key off reset and it went for weeks without happening again. Since I was the 2nd leasor, it was not on warranty for me and I could not afford to watch them chase a phantom light. That car was the best Olds Olds ever made I think but the radical styling kept it hard to sell. I am sure it was quicker than my 442 with the 5 speed and higher revs. Put it in low and punch it with shifts at the rev limiter...what a great car! I only once got it over 125 and it felt like it was trying to lift off!
Old December 11th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Installed a set of Cadillac 4 note horns on my 61 88....to replace the harbor freight air horn it had when I bought it.
Old December 13th, 2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by KQQLCAT
Installed a Fabcraft posi unit in my 61

What gear did you end up running? You have a four speed, correct? How does she run?
Old December 14th, 2018, 05:34 AM
Old School Olds

Took mine for an inspection and registered it for 2019. It had been out since September.
Old December 14th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Registered Thread Killer

My son found me this complete, unmolested, 1956 88 2 door Holiday coupe last weekend. 324ci 4bbl, with Hydramatic, Power steering and Power brakes with Title.

I have an awesome son.

Old December 14th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Not today, but this week. Got the cars cleaned, registered, and tucked into the garage. Replaced the dead power brake booster in the Olds and have brakes again.

Diggin the Coopers with the black wall out.

Old December 14th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass

Diggin the Coopers with the black wall out.

They look great on your car.

Old December 14th, 2018, 05:33 PM

After much deliberation and research, I ordered a Covercraft Noah car cover. It was custom made and it arrived today 😀. Had to leave work early to beat the rain. Got it put on and it fits great and looks good. Now to see how it does against the elements. We're supposed to get rain this weekend, so I'll let you all know how it goes😀
Old December 16th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Running On Empty

Removed engine mounts, hoisted engine, removed (OE) oil pan, cleaned oil pan, pulled oil pump, removed (on a floor creeper) gasket material from block. Front & Rear oil pan gasket material (rubber) was hard as a rock. Enough fun for a Sunday morning.
Old December 16th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Oldscarnut

Now with the engine on the stand, I started to disassembly. I removed the oil pan, oil plugs, oil filter assembly, and freeze plugs. I am on the crank bolt now and waiting for some answers to my question before I seek out a breaker bar about 9 feet long. The dumb previous owner put a solid balancer from a 330 on my 68 350 so I am a little worried it is on too hard. No hurry though...I can't get it to the machine shop until my new harmonic balancer arrives. I think it is in Santa's Sleigh!
Old December 16th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Phantom Phixer

Old December 16th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Phantom Phixer

Got my engine in the frame today .

Old December 16th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Phantom Phixer

I WANNA HEAR IT RUN !
Old December 16th, 2018, 05:54 PM

Outside of St. Louis Mo. Temp was 54 degrees. Took my 65 out for a good hour drive,window down and listening to tunes on radio. Nice peaceful day. Bassinguy
Old December 17th, 2018, 08:15 AM
delete

Originally Posted by 72455
After much deliberation and research, I ordered a Covercraft Noah car cover. It was custom made and it arrived today 😀. Had to leave work early to beat the rain. Got it put on and it fits great and looks good. Now to see how it does against the elements. We're supposed to get rain this weekend, so I'll let you all know how it goes😀
I have one but for indoor storage. Its still pretty stiff but feels soft on the inside. I'm thinking about taking it to the laundromat & running it through the machines.
Old December 17th, 2018, 08:18 AM
delete

LI has been cold windy and rainy but no real snow. There is a lot of debris in the streets from leaves and crap. I'm pretty much done for the season. Topped off the tires and parked the car in the garage backwards so I can get to the hood. I have a really crappy one car garage. Charged the battery and pulled the cable.
Immediately after pulling the cable remembered that there are Christmas gifts in the trunk. Was able to squeeze back there and get to them so no harm no foul.
Old December 17th, 2018, 10:50 AM

I brought mine to work today...55 degrees and sunny...great cruising weather😀
Old December 17th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Oldscarnut

The '67 Looks great! I wonder how you keep only cars in your garage? I have a wife who packs things in all around mine so that getting to work on it, or heaven forbid, take it for a drive is always a minor cleanup first. I am guilty of marathon work sessions that leaves me too tired to clean and stow the tools correctly so on top of them always being in the way, I cannot find the one wrench/socket I need. If I had my way, the shelving in my garage would disappear as it invites stacking stuff! I also share space with my wife's Astra, a lawn tractor, lawn mower and two big *** trash cans, so it is always a ballet of moving stuff to get to work on the car. I used to wonder who needed 3 garage doors...but I can make an argument for that now. If I didn't have the project, the MINI and Saturn would fit nicely, but then where would I spend all my money and free time?

Quick Reply: What have you done to your Oldsmobile today