General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What is this Glass jar in my 1955 Olds

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2019, 02:26 PM

What is this Glass jar in my 1955 Olds

I'm learning about my car, & I noticed this empty glass Jar, I don't think its a (Charcoal Cannister) because all the ones I see is black & also its the holes are not going to the engine it's going through the car itself, can anyone tell me what this is? whats its purpose?

Old June 29th, 2019, 02:31 PM

Windshield washer fluid reservoir??? Transmission vent with catch-can???

Trace the hoses until you see what they connect to.

Look in the service manual for info (assumes that this is a GM part, not an aftermarket "add-on".)

[Edit]First photo: Is that control arm bushing pushed completely out-of-position?[/Edit]

Last edited by Schurkey; June 29th, 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old June 29th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, it's the windshield washer jar. It would have been obvious if the decal were still in place.

Old June 29th, 2019, 03:27 PM

I was about to say that is some beautiful home brewed work there....but GM actually used a jar. Nice.
Old June 29th, 2019, 04:19 PM

Ah, it looked like a portable moonshine still to me. Moonshine, washer fluid, not really much difference, right?
Old June 29th, 2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Moonshine, washer fluid, not really much difference, right?
None, once you're already blind.
Old June 29th, 2019, 07:16 PM

If not cracked the jugs/ jars are getting to be about a fifty dollar Item, if the pump works another fifty bucks (doubtful it works) but there are kits a viable from Fusick. The other line goes to the wiper motor The rout of the vacuum lines start at the fuel pump and go to one side of the jug out the other side then to the fire wall and into the underside of the dash. Stops at the wiper switch, see the spring loaded button on the switch? That operates the squirters From there it goes to the wiper nozzles/ squirters. It's kinda a bitch to change the old leaky vacuum lines but doable..... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; June 29th, 2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old February 17th, 2020, 07:55 PM

Resurrecting this one.

Pushed the button for the fluid today and presumably washer fluid started leaking on my foot. Wipers barely function so I think I'll take the opportunity to go through everything. Looks like I'll be replacing the vacuum lines that come from at least the washer jug/pump (along with a washer pump rebuild kit from Fusick). I'd like to give this a shot before converting to electric.

I've mapped out the steel vacuum line starting on the right side of the fuel pump (closest to engine) that connects to the rubber pvc line (about 12") and then to the passenger side intake on the wiper motor. I assume this is the line I would take off to try the mystery/brake fluid trick to get the rubber seal lubricated? I noticed the nut connecting this line to the fuel pump is a bit loose, so I'll tighten that and check vacuum before I get too crazy.

The rubber vacuum line in the middle of the wiper motor that goes into the firewall directly--is this the line that is attached under the dash to the "vacuum" line on the washer pump? Where exactly is this connection under the dash? Having trouble following that. Do both the fluid/vacuum lines from the reservoir into the firewall connect to the same spot under the dash?

Any idea what size these vacuum lines are?
Old February 18th, 2020, 03:46 AM

Love that old school technology, plain, simple, no f****n computer!!!
Old February 18th, 2020, 08:38 AM

Before I answer your connection issues first figure out if you are going with electric wipers or not. The reason is the valve for the squirters (chrome button in the center) also is the on and off switch for the wipers. If you go electric the wiper switch is altered from a vacuum to mechanical and you lose your squarters.That is if you go with the Newport system others may be different, It's the best in my opinion and what I have used for five or six years with no issues

For me going electric was a blessing and allowed me to travel in some pretty nasty weather with confidence. The vacuum wipers were always a crap shoot and often dangerous..... Let me know which way your going and if you go with the Newport system there are a few tips I know that will help in the install that will help make it easy.... Tedd
Old February 19th, 2020, 06:56 PM

I want to at least tighten everything down and oil up the motor to see if I can get enough vacuum. I know the wiper motor was rebuilt by Fusick in 2004, so would like to give that a shot first. Either way the washer fluid lines will need to be replaced I think.

Last edited by jcormier89; February 20th, 2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2020, 10:14 AM

Fusick also sells a rebuild kit and there is a big spring in there that gets rusty and breaks. '55 Ninety Eight Holiday.
I had fun fixing mine. The hardest part was replacing the lines to the squirters under the dash.
When everything is right, they work quite well.
BTW, some are vacuum operated, so there is no foot pedal.