General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What to do ???? GOLD

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2019, 09:06 PM

What to do ???? GOLD

I was coming back from San Diego on hy 5 in Calif. in my Intrique and stopped at a gas station to get gas and something to eat. This new Chevy Tahoe pulled up while I was getting gas and this guy from India with his wife they didn't speak much English and asked to trade their gold rings for $200 to get back to Las Vegas as he lost his wallet. I did gas his car up like $45 then I went inside to get the $200 but only could get $40 so the guy offered me a bracelet of gold I gave him the $40 and my address and phone number to call. The guy was in a suit and she was dressed up too. Its been two weeks should I wait longer or cash the bracelet for cash. He was going to give me $500 for the $200 cash but never happened just the $45 and $40 cash. What to do ?
Gerald
Old January 20th, 2019, 09:24 PM

Do you need a bridge by any chance......??
Old January 21st, 2019, 05:30 AM

I had a guy try to sell me some Italian leather jackets and some suits one night. Said he had to catch a flight out of LGA (LaGuardia Airport, NYC) back to Italy and he was late for it. I let him pile about 5 suits and 3 jackets into my arms then he told me $500. I said $100 is all I have. He lowered the price a few times and I kept saying $100 is all I have. He finally agreed to the $100. I dropped everything on his car hood and said I'll go get the hundred bucks and by the way LGA doesn't do international flights good luck making the plane. If your going to con at least have your story straight.
Old January 21st, 2019, 09:59 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by zeeke
If your going to con at least have your story straight.
And completely screw with their head just as Zeeke did. LOVE IT! I do this on the phone once a week lately. How do they mask then trunk a perfectly good local phone number from the middle east??
It will never go away as long as bottom-feeder-scumbag humans exist. Might as well have some fun with these giant A-HOLES.
Old January 21st, 2019, 10:09 AM
Administrator

I get phone calls from my own phone number, go figure. Have you at least gone anywhere to verify its even gold?
Old January 21st, 2019, 10:28 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I have some fun when I know guys are approaching me to beg for some spare change.
I beat them to the punch and say "man,I'm glad to see you,I'm low on gas and don't have enough to make it home,can you spare some change or a couple bucks?"
The bewildered look of confusion on their face is priceless!
Old January 21st, 2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Do you need a bridge by any chance......??

NO **** biggest scam on the planet right now..if its real gold, you are prob the luckiest guy on the planet
Old January 21st, 2019, 12:58 PM
Old School Olds

Take them to a jeweler, they will be able to tell you if they are real or not and the value.
If you get lucky and they are real, SELL 'EM.
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:13 PM

Had a friend do this multiple times when we were teens. I would always show up after he made a deal with a scammer.. He was always in it for the fast buck and would always get taken from these people in need (Sarcasm). I laughed at him all the way to the Jeweler one time who said this $800.00 bracelet was " Fake as the day is long and worth $1.00".He was out $100.00 I Still bring it up to him on occasions and have a laugh. When someone comes up to me and needs help like this I always offer to call the police for them, they always move on fast to someone else.

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; January 22nd, 2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:35 PM

Fool me once.... Here's a story of the popular Brooklyn Bridge sale scam, sold many times.

https://curiosity.com/topics/america...ars-curiosity/
Old January 21st, 2019, 03:07 PM

Seems trueblue442 and I think a like. I will go to find out on Tuesday. I'm still only out $90 but it says 14 K.
Gerald
Old January 21st, 2019, 03:28 PM
Old School Olds

Good luck Gerald, let us know how it turns out.
Old January 21st, 2019, 11:03 PM

If its real, then good for you. Its nice when you can help someone. If its not, I wouldn't try to find them to buy enough to hang a shower curtain.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:41 AM

You know, there's a prince in Nigeria that would give you lots of money if only you would send him...

You got took. It happens to everyone at least once. Live and learn.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
Seems trueblue442 and I think a like. I will go to find out on Tuesday. I'm still only out $90 but it says 14 K.
Gerald
My brother and son both are jewelers. If the item is marked 14K it has to be authentic by law. If it is marked and not 14K that is a federal offense. Don't know how you would locate the seller now to charge them.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 05:33 AM

You got taken, dont feel too bad just watch your stuff. Your a good man and thats what they took advantage of.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by chip-powell
You know, there's a prince in Nigeria that would give you lots of money if only you would send him...

You got took. It happens to everyone at least once. Live and learn.

Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:36 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Talking

So much great knowledge in this group and I have so much respect for so many members here that are willing to share but...
it really surprises me that a post like this about Geralds gold adventure can get more activity then if someone posts pics of their Oldsmobile.
Yet in the new member forum I see so many comments saying post pics,we love pics here.

Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:56 AM
Old School Olds

Old January 22nd, 2019, 08:06 AM

talkin bout.... Dog dats sum blings yall!

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; January 22nd, 2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 08:21 AM
delete

Originally Posted by edzolz
My brother and son both are jewelers. If the item is marked 14K it has to be authentic by law. If it is marked and not 14K that is a federal offense. Don't know how you would locate the seller now to charge them.
Man, these scammers just don't respect the law
Old January 22nd, 2019, 09:01 AM
Jeff

Ouch, you got taken.

Reminds me of the time a skinny white girl came up to me at a gas station. Her gait was like she was poppin' 'n lockin'. I shooed her away quickly, wasn't too mean about it. In hindsight, I should've yelled, "HEY... MY FIRST CRACKHEAD!"
Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:11 PM

Went looking for a pawn store to find out what it is worth. Both were closed so Wed. i'll go out of town to Stockton to find one.
Gerald
Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:34 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

If it is real,you will probably get a better price from a family owned jeweler then a pawn shop.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 08:53 PM

I thought you were kidding, Gerald! Of course you got taken. If it's marked 14k then it has to be 14k? Are you kidding me? You never heard of fake Rolex watches, fake Uggs, fake Coach pocketbooks, Fake NFL jerseys, hats, etc., fake Ray Ban, Oakley, or Maui Jim sunglasses? The list goes on and on. Hopefully not, but odds are you got "tooked"!
Old January 23rd, 2019, 10:14 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I thought you were kidding, Gerald! Of course you got taken. If it's marked 14k then it has to be 14k? Are you kidding me? You never heard of fake Rolex watches, fake Uggs, fake Coach pocketbooks, Fake NFL jerseys, hats, etc., fake Ray Ban, Oakley, or Maui Jim sunglasses? The list goes on and on. Hopefully not, but odds are you got "tooked"!
I forget which comic it was... "That's not a Rolex... that's a BOLEX!"
Old January 24th, 2019, 09:34 AM

Yep China isn't bound by our laws, they counterfeit everything. I could care less about an overpriced Louie Vuitton bag, but when you counterfeit Square D circuit breakers your talking a life hazard and the guy who installs these perfect counterfeits is responsible. Now that's where things go sideways. So 14K counterfeit jewelry, yep I can see that. Here in NY you can walk down Canal Street in down town NYC and there's plenty of "authentic" goods being sold at a 10th of the price. Buyer beware! As my mother has always told me "if a deal is to good to be true then it's not a deal." I've seen countless scams invented on these city streets over the years.
Old January 24th, 2019, 04:02 PM

Sure looks good. But FAKE SCAM...I'm just glad I didn't have $200 to give away. He was going all up and down Calif. selling his fake stuff.
Gerald
Old January 24th, 2019, 04:36 PM

Sorry to hear that Gerald. Gypsies maybe, maybe just scammers. Years ago when I worked in gas stations, gas was like 20-30 cents a gallon. They would give us a roll of quarters with a quarter on each end and a pipe filled with sand in the middle. Fill their tank 1/2 full for 2.50-3.00 for 10 gallons. Then we would give them 7.00 in change. They would just go up and down the coast like that. It's alway's something.....
Old January 24th, 2019, 04:45 PM

I really believe in karma. They will get theirs
Old January 24th, 2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
I really believe in karma. They will get theirs
Ya, you bet they will get theirs if someone gives it to them. Karma takes way to long, I'm in favor of the expedited way.... That's just the way I roll.... Tedd
Old January 24th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Ya, you bet they will get theirs if someone gives it to them. Karma takes way to long, I'm in favor of the expedited way.... That's just the way I roll.... Tedd
I fell the same way Ted.

Gerald sorry you got taken, it happens to the best of us sometimes. They bank on good people who don't have their twisted outlook on life.
Old January 24th, 2019, 09:37 PM

If I did do the $200 I was going to get his truck lic and a pic of his driver lic. too. that might scare him off. Or maybe it was fake too.
Off to work on my 65 442 I'm putting together. A win win on the 65 442.
Gerald
Old January 25th, 2019, 04:20 AM

It was prob a rental paid for in cash. They put some decent clothes on to look the part and make a weekend out of scamming people and then move on to the next phishing spot.
Really makes you lose faith in humanity. Its hard to trust anyone these days.
Old January 25th, 2019, 04:38 AM

A few years back, I pulled in to the parking lot of the Columbus (Ohio) Fish Market, ready for a good meal on the company dime. A couple in the lot told me that their car had broken down, that they were broke, and needed money for a place to stay. Looked like a scam until I saw a stream of smoking green coolant flowing from underneath their car. I gave 'em 20 bucks. If it was a scam, they still deserved the money for doing it so well.
Old January 25th, 2019, 05:35 AM

They just hit you up for money there in the parking lot? That's almost obscene.
Old January 25th, 2019, 01:23 PM

I told the wife I found it and had it checked but she likes it anyway. Go figure.
Gerald
Old January 27th, 2019, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
I told the wife I found it and had it checked but she likes it anyway. Go figure.
Gerald
Well that's worth the 100 bucks right there.

Around the country you run into people in need, some just down on there luck, some just mentally stuck in a bad place and some just crack heads. When they beg for money my response is "what do you need money for?" If they tell me to get something to eat I walk them to the nearest fast food place and buy them what they want. As for scammers I just mess with them until they realize they are being messed with.

Went to a Ranger (hockey) game in Fla a few years back for my friends 50th. About 12 of us went. I shut down the drink for about 2 years so I was the cab driver. One of my divorced friends made a connection with a local boat show girl (both of them are nuts so it was a good match). Anyway, while dropping off 2 guys at the fishing dock I hit the 7-11 for some "protection". Walking in I was approached by a local beach bum and he asked if I'd buy him something to eat. Well after a sandwich, apple and a large slushie I said "you kidding bro? did you forget desert?" He started to explain himself and I gave him the whatever and told the girl to ring it up. When see was done I dropped the condoms on the counter and said "these too!" The guys eyes opened wider than the front door and I said "what? your thought the meal was free bro?" The cashier busted out laughing I took my change and left.
Old January 27th, 2019, 01:51 PM

Guy prob almost threw up what you just bought him.....maybe?
That is funny tho
Old January 27th, 2019, 03:39 PM

Awe Damn I looked that bad last winter Scrappie?

Quick Reply: What to do ???? GOLD