General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What was attached to the defroster door?

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2016 | 11:46 AM

What was attached to the defroster door?

This weekend I restored the heater box assembly. Taking pictures throughout the process. When I got to this part all I seen was staples and what was once left behind stuck between them.
What was it? After some inspection I am assuming it had to be some sort of flap seal maybe?
If any of you know and have a picture of what it was supposed to be and what it looked like installed, I can fashion something to take its place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0820161455.jpg (1.58 MB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
0820161456.jpg (1.63 MB, 34 views)
Old August 23rd, 2016 | 05:58 AM

On my '68 non-A/C, it was a slab of dense foamy rubber - 1/8"+ thick. When I restored mine I left it alone. I bought a rebuild/reseal kit, but the kit material was not as dense as the OEM and mine was in good shape, so I left the original in. Sorry, don't have a pic handy.

Last edited by Indy_68_S; August 23rd, 2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2016 | 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
On my '68 non-A/C, it was a slab of dense foamy rubber - 1/8"+ thick. When I restored mine I left it alone. I bought a rebuild/reseal kit, but the kit material was not as dense as the OEM and mine was in good shape, so I left the original in. Sorry, don't have a pic handy.
Was it the full size of the door? and did any of it hang over the end to sell off the space when its in the full open position?

Where did you get your reseal kit from? I see OPGI sells it for about $30. mine has AC. If the reseal kit comes with it I'll have to see what I can do.

Thanks for the reply!
Old August 23rd, 2016 | 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by AJFink
Was it the full size of the door? and did any of it hang over the end to sell off the space when its in the full open position?
Oddly, no. While the width was exactly the same as the flapper piece, my pad/seal actually only covered about 2/3-3/4 of the defrost grates. Pad/seal was positioned closer to the hinge/pivot leaving the 'far' end uncovered. Looked like it was made this way but I don't know if it was intentional.

Where did you get your reseal kit from? I see OPGI sells it for about $30. mine has AC. If the reseal kit comes with it I'll have to see what I can do.
Don't remember. It was the commonly available kit. Seems like everyone sells basically the same thing. Google "chevelle heater box reseal kit".
Old August 24th, 2016 | 08:46 AM

Oddly, no. While the width was exactly the same as the flapper piece, my pad/seal actually only covered about 2/3-3/4 of the defrost grates. Pad/seal was positioned closer to the hinge/pivot leaving the 'far' end uncovered. Looked like it was made this way but I don't know if it was intentional.

Don't remember. It was the commonly available kit. Seems like everyone sells basically the same thing. Google "chevelle heater box reseal kit".

Indy
I have another question. Go back and look at my pictures, on the one you will notice a screw is installed to keep the door from completely closing off the grill. Did yours have this? and was the foam seal on the grill side or the opposite side to seal it in the full open position?
Old August 24th, 2016 | 09:00 AM

I think I see the screw you're referring to. It's toward the flapper pivot and the flapper door is against it, right ?

I don't know why the screw would be there. Door needs to close completely to close off defroster & seal should press against grates. Mine's non-A/C and looks a bit different and there's nothing preventing full closure of the door.

On mine, seal is on grate side to seal off grate area when closed.
Old August 24th, 2016 | 09:11 AM

I think I see the screw you're referring to. It's toward the flapper pivot and the flapper door is against it, right ?

I don't know why the screw would be there. Door needs to close completely to close off defroster & seal should press against grates. Mine's non-A/C and looks a bit different and there's nothing preventing full closure of the door.

On mine, seal is on grate side to seal off grate area when closed.

I'm sorry looks like it was out when I took the picture, but at the end of the flapper you will see the hole. Any way sounds like I'll just leave it out and put the foam on the grill side.

Thank you for the help on this.
Old August 24th, 2016 | 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by AJFink
..Any way sounds like I'll just leave it out and put the foam on the grill side....
Not sure about 'just leaving it out'.
Even if it wasn't holding anything, you don't want to end up with a mysterious whistle once you have everything reinstalled. Maybe shorter screw or door should be closed when installing screw ??
Old August 24th, 2016 | 10:08 AM

Not sure about 'just leaving it out'.
Even if it wasn't holding anything, you don't want to end up with a mysterious whistle once you have everything reinstalled. Maybe shorter screw or door should be closed when installing screw ??

Maybe right this is a 72 so things could have change, this may have some R&D involved to find out why it was installed. Maybe someone out there with a 72 with AC can help answer.
This Forum has been really good at figuring things out like this.