General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What the ?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/wa

What the ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...#ht_500wt_1182
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Registered

What the what?

Chebby engine?
Chebby trunk stripes?
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:00 AM

Only problem I'd have with it is the front end's stripes went way too far over , and behind the scoops.

I'm a fan of putting the stripes across the trunk myself.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:14 AM

Isnt that the 8.2 rear end? Factory made, huh? what a cob.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:16 AM

Never mind on the rear end. Too early to count
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Not bad for a project car. It is worth about 15 to 20k less than a restored 442 with build sheet.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:15 AM

I'm don't make a big deal out of how people do their cars. Do your car how ever YOU want.
But that being said... If it is truly a factory 442 (not a clone) it's sad to not have an Olds power plant in the car.
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

This is why you need a clear "vision" for your future with a car you're "restoring."

The distance from stock you make a car should be directly proportionate to how long you're keeping it (i.e. if this guy wasn't in it for the long, LONG term he should've actually restored it rather than "resto-mod" it or whatever the term is at this particular second).

It's true that you should "make it how YOU want it" as a certain sig here proclaims, but I'd add to it "so long as YOU are not looking to sell it for a profit anytime soon."

You can never, ever go wrong with back-to-factory, be it a muscle car or Duesenberg. Sure, there are cases when modern "updates" can make for a better driver, but if you're not the one who'll be driving it, leave it alone.

I think Barrett-Jackson auctions have done the car world--and muscle car world in particular--a great disservice with their focus on over-modded and over-restored vehicles. People see million-dollar Hemis and quarter-million-dollar restomods (I hate that term, BTW) and aim for THAT rather than factory.

[They don't show the days and DAYS of guys getting it in the shorts from pumping cubic dollars into modified, customized, "phantom/clone," etc. cars and getting back just pennies on their dollars vs. guys who just restored or preserved an honest by-the-numbers vehicle.]

And that's the biggest reason why "You'll never get out what you put in" should be message #1 on any vehicle revamp check sheet. Sure, lightning can strike and you can find a guy with your exact taste in mods who offers you gazillions for your "masterpiece."

"But then," as the old Porsche print ads used to say, "you wake up."

Last edited by auto_editor; April 4th, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM

That painter was a striping fool!
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Administrator

It's well worth what he's asking, however again it needs someone to fall in love.
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cratethis
I'm don't make a big deal out of how people do their cars. Do your car how ever YOU want.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by auto_editor
It's true that you should "make it how YOU want it" as a certain sig here proclaims, but I'd add to it "so long as YOU are not looking to sell it for a profit anytime soon."
To each their own.
Modifying brakes, engine, engine bay, interior, paint, anything = custom.

I totally disagree from my opinion. Foose = Custom, Lingenfelter = Custom, Calloway = Custom. All very big $$$
Foose's 68 Cutlass might not be for everyone, but I guarantee it sells for more then any 1968 on this forum.

I get thumbs up everywhere for my hockey striped 442 CLONE with stripes on the trunk. Old and young.
I'm sure there's purists that shake their head, but that's the minority and it's their own opinion they can have.
Younger people just dig the car and don't get caught up in that whole nitpicking detail thing of what came OEM.

If everyone took what came from the Factory, there was no need for Hurst to exist in the 1st place.
Personally......Hurst is the baddest looking factory / custom combined Olds of all time IMO.
Hurst just got a contract with a slew of manufacturers to do it.

Around here alot of people love custom vehicles. It shows creativity and uniqueness.
Local totally customized badass 1971 442 LSX powered beast.
http://www.schwartzperformance.com/p...x?projectid=15

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 5th, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM

Wow!!!! so the Foose 68 will sell for more than any 68 on this forum..wow thats really important!!!

Who gives a damn! Its ugly as hell and I told Foose this when he was in Orlando Florida 2 years ago. I appreciate the fact he restores old cars but there not the end all be all. Nothing beats the originals in original style or substance. Giant Boom box in the trunk....and giant bling wheels on a (surprise!) Lowered body...yeah sure thats a class act all the way..... I'm sure its a big hit in Mexico though!
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
Wow!!!! so the Foose 68 will sell for more than any 68 on this forum..wow thats really important!!!
Value after customization apparently was important to auto_editor.

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
Giant Boom box in the trunk....and giant bling wheels on a (surprise!) Lowered body...yeah sure thats a class act all the way..... I'm sure its a big hit in Mexico though!
So now you're implying a stereotypical borderline racist comment that
big stereo's, lowered bodies, and bigger rims are for Mexicans only??

Class act.

I suppose Dale Earnhardt Jr's DSE built 70 Camaro which has all of the above
in it as well, means DSE only employ's Mexicans, and Dale must be a pretty white Mexican.

I guess I've been missing out on this astounding logic for years.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 5th, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:42 AM

Well we can't please everyone. This is why I HATE car shows. I was at a little local show at the airport Fly In last year when I overheard a guy looking at my car say "This is a real nice car but the guy ruined it with that engine." I don't know if maybe he thought I had a big block Chev in it or what. My car is just like it was when I bought it except for the engine and wheels. Both of which are in my garage still.I didn't do all the work and spend the money to win a 3.00 trophy. I did it because I like my car.I'm not here to impress anyone. People should just enjoy these cars and not judge em.
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Administrator

The car hobby is called that because it is a hobby, I see nothing wrong with the guy asking the $14500 price for a running/ driving car in that kind of shape. I would venture to guess he still won't recoup what he has in it.

Again for you purists, not every car is worth restoring back to original.
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
This is why I HATE car shows. I was at a little local show at the airport Fly In last year when I overheard a guy looking at my car say
"This is a real nice car but the guy ruined it with that engine."
Those guys crack me up. It's usually the much older guys in their late 40's and up.
The guys that grew up with these cars are usually the biggest critics.

Not saying EVERYONE in that age bracket is that closed minded, but I noticed that's the age bracket most fall in.
The younger generation is just happy to see a classic musclecar on the road as well as the other older more open minded enthusiasts are.
I bought my '70 Olds 442 clone from my Uncle who is 58 years old. He's the one that put the hockey stripes on it and trunk stripes.
He's been into drag racing since he dragged in the 70's too.

Told him I was possibly doing another LSX/T-56 implant and he was like "Now that's cool".

OldCutlass nailed it by saying not every car is WORTH restoring back to OEM.
Dime a dozen Cutlasses most certainly are not. Parts vendors prices increased 200% since 2006 on many parts I noticed.
You saw restored cars prices plummet excruciatingly since 2006, so it's not worth it to many people.

This is also why 98% of the Chevelles you see on the road are cloned SS's.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 6th, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Wow so now Im a racist. Haaa-Haaa!!! Do your history! Thats where those cosmetic idea's came from.

So I'm not implying anything! Those are the facts.

Now go put your original" we are the world" CD in and have a nice day!
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM

GIFSoup
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Wait, I resemble that remark!! However I don't cosider myself OLD just OLDER! My wife says I'm the older of her 2 kids!! Believe me, I'm not closed minded, and I don't believe most on here are. I'm sure you have ideals that you are religeously altruistic towards (you like that, huh), just as some of the ladies and gentlemen here.

I'm an old school, live in the junkyard, die hard hotrodder! To me stock is not necessarily better. I want the car to be for me, I don't really care alot (I do consider it) about resale value! I want something I can drive everyday, rain and snow included!

And yes, I would like to see more young people take the older hotrod hobby vs the rice grinder approach. I also realize that the budgetary / insurance issues, and the practicality of owning an older car makes it very hard for a young person to justify.

As I said earlier thats a fair asking price and seems to be a very nice car for someone!! It's tastefully done, may not match others tastes. So what!!! Theres an *** for every seat!!!!