General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

We need help with pic uploading-a sticky perhaps

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2018, 07:58 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

We need help with pic uploading-a sticky perhaps

OK so here it is.
1. I have resized the pics using the windows resizer for windows. They typically come down to 3-4Kb from 3-4Megs. These are all JEPGS.
2. I select the "manage attachments" tab here
3. I browse the device...my PC. I've tried both drop and drag and uploading directly from files from a folder, no luck...same results, nothing. They can be on a flash drive or in a folder on the PC or on my Driod.
4. The pics appear as they should and then when I click upload...poof into cyberspace they go....(One or multiples it doesn't matter).

Never had a problem before from 2010 to about a few months ago.

Ive tried uploading single compressed pics and multiple compressed....nothing works. No effect.
Im using chrome could this be the problem?
Im not the only one who is having trouble. ALL of this brands websites (Internet Brands) car/trucks all suck the same way. They all changed some format about the same time and all exhibit the same uploading difficulty.
One would think they would send along some info on the update and HOW TO NAVIGATE? Guess they don't teach common sense in cybergeek school!
I've read the threads here and elsewhere on this problem and sometimes it works most of the time it doesn't. Why is it hit and miss? What is this dumbass missing?

Im willing to compose a spoon fed procedure for this once simple now complicated procedure. .I'm offering to write an SOP to put on the stickies. I write Standard Operating Procedures for FDA and DOT. That means spoon fed intuitiveness a caveman will understand.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Pic Upload Prob.docx (2.24 MB, 14 views)
Old December 24th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Administrator

You can update this thread or create a new one. If you go the new route I will make it a sticky.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-pictures.html
Old December 24th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Old School Olds

I have found it is a PITA too. I do the upload and use chrome too. If you hit upload before it says it's ready, then poof, gone.
I have to walk away for about 5 minutes the pics appear and then you can post. Mine seem to come out on the large size
but it does work eventually. I agree that it really does SUCK!
Old December 24th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
I've never used the Manage Attachments tab. I simply click on the picture icon in the menu bar at the top of the Reply to Thread box. It works just like it just did in this post.

Old December 24th, 2018, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've never used the Manage Attachments tab. I simply click on the picture icon in the menu bar at the top of the Reply to Thread box.
Same here. I''ve used the "Manage Attachments" button very rarely, only if I want to upload something that is not a photo, like a pdf file.
Old December 24th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Old School Olds

I did like Joe said and still had to "browse device" and wait about 7 minutes before it would post this pic, go figure.
Old December 24th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I did like Joe said and still had to "browse device" and wait about 7 minutes before it would post this pic, go figure.
I don't know what to tell you. It works for me just fine using Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. No issues with any of the three browsers. I'm using Win10 on a Lenovo Yoga laptop. We do NOT have a particularly speedy internet connection, either.

By the way, I saved your photo to my computer and ran through the insert photo process. It was no problem - took only seconds. I'm guessing the problem is your device or internet provider, not the forum software.

Old December 24th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK that previous response was using Firefox. This one is using Microsoft Edge.

Old December 24th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

One last time with Chrome.

Old December 24th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Old School Olds

It could be the device. It's an older Dell PC, and the wife has worked on it a few times.
Old December 24th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK, back to Firefox now. It took me two tries to post the photo using Chrome, so there is clearly a problem them. I'll alert the Admins.
Old December 24th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Administrator

On chrome single and a multi selection from my device.
Single

Multi

Old December 24th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Administrator

I will say that the sticky Newbie picture thread in my link above could use an update with a more in depth set of directions. Since Steve volunteered...
Old December 24th, 2018, 05:09 PM

Sometimes it works for me sometimes it doesn’t. Definitely isn’t an improvement from the way it used to work. It seems like it was easier with outside picture hosting and using html like the old days.
Old December 24th, 2018, 09:42 PM

I uploaded a couple of pics a few weeks ago with no problem, but when I tried again last week, it kept trying to upload the pics from a few weeks ago, instead of the ones that I wanted this time. I'm using Firefox and "manage attachments."
Old December 25th, 2018, 07:58 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I'll give all this a try tomorrow, fat, full and horizontal from the Xmas glut.

Home computer is an HP, ENVY, Windows 8.1 with "Webroot SecureAnywhere v9.0" and the work PC is an HP Elite book G4.running Windows 10 Pro, (4 months old).
Same difficulties with either PC. This includes using both PCs at home on residential HS internet and the work PC, well, at work with all its high-end firewalls. I do have both chrome and firefox on work PC but never use FF. I'll try the FF to see if it makes a difference...split the dictionary this way.

Thanks for the input guys. Eric Ill compose something short simple and spoon fed then "PM" it to you(?) for review in order to keep interweb clutter at a min before officially publishing a sticky.
Thanks for looking into the possible Chrome conflicts Joe.
Well get this problem licked once and for all. TX Steve.
Old December 26th, 2018, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Thank you Steve look forward to seeing something.
Old December 26th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Running On Empty

There are many reasons imaging software upload features won't work for some and many websites via some Browsers and via employment of some antivirus (AV) s/w - I won't go into all of them. However, I've been following this thread w/ some interest & I'll post my best guess solution since it 'appears' to be Chrome related. As most know, AV s/w works great - but, not for all applications and websites. As you will notice, CO has a Security Socket Layer (SSL) installed. This can be recognized by the https: within your web browser (instead of the default http. This is a POSITIVE feature of this CO site. Essentially, it means every communication with the CO site must be negotiated by exchanging ONLY secured information based upon a site certificate. There are several areas where the Certificate might fail (I won't go into this here). But, the CO site loads a Certificate onto your device & your Web Browser needs to recognize the Certificate - at which point your device (e.g. PC, etc.) will negotiate information based solely upon a secure communication using the information contained within the Certificate.

ISSUE: What can happen (in simplest terms) is the inability of AV default setup to recognize either the Certificate (for many reasons) or the AV s/w requires the end-user to manage 'exceptions'. Many sites are not setup optimally to negotiate the correct communications with all Browser interfaces because the back-end s/w has default settings parameters instantiated with no exceptions.

Since this 'appears' to be a Chrome (only) related issue, I suggest you attempt the following solution. There have been many Chrome users experiencing the same issue. There can be many reasons for this; yet, the simplest explanation which makes the most sense (to me) is to review the Chrome Browser User Interface settings for Norton toolbar if you are using Norton AV. If you are not using Norton AV, I'd be happy to further my investigation. The juxtaposition of this matter appears to be dependent on the inability to SECURELY negotiate communication between the Web User and the CO site. This may take just a little bit of time to completely resolve. It isn't easy. Try this suggestion first.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...dalone_1_en_us

Old December 26th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Running On Empty

OK so here it is.
1. I have resized the pics using the windows resizer for windows. They typically come down to 3-4Kb from 3-4Megs. These are all JEPGS.
3. I browse the device...my PC. I've tried both drop and drag and uploading directly from files from a folder, no luck...same results, nothing. They can be on a flash drive or in a folder on the PC or on my Driod.
4. The pics appear as they should and then when I click upload...poof into cyberspace they go....(One or multiples it doesn't matter).

Never had a problem before from 2010 to about a few months ago.

Ive tried uploading single compressed pics and multiple compressed....nothing works. No effect.
Im using chrome could this be the problem?
Im not the only one who is having trouble. ALL of this brands websites (Internet Brands) car/trucks all suck the same way. They all changed some format about the same time and all exhibit the same uploading difficulty.
One would think they would send along some info on the update and HOW TO NAVIGATE? Guess they don't teach common sense in cybergeek school!
I've read the threads here and elsewhere on this problem and sometimes it works most of the time it doesn't. Why is it hit and miss? What is this dumbass missing?

Im willing to compose a spoon fed procedure for this once simple now complicated procedure. .I'm offering to write an SOP to put on the stickies. I write Standard Operating Procedures for FDA and DOT. That means spoon fed intuitiveness a caveman will understand.
I reviewed your attached Word document (Pic Upload Prob.docx). Based simply on your screenshots, you appear to be able to negotiate an SSL connection to the front-end of the CO site - the front-end (e.g. https). I have three questions/suggestions:
(1) If you click on the padlock in the upper left-corner of your Chrome Browser, does the breadcrumb reveal any additional information pertaining to a secure connection?
(2) Have you reviewed the following Error (picture below) to ensure you know why you are receiving this Error (upper R-H corner of your Chrome Browser)? If you know what it's about - no biggie. I used to use Chrome, I will never use Chrome - it captures far & above too much end-user information. That is my choice. I also use Ad Blocking s/w (uBlock Origin 1.17.4) & I have no issues whatsoever; yet, again, I do not use Chrome. You may find the Error can provide further information regarding an add-on, extension, etc. which Chrome is unable to negotiate.
(3) Finally, I suggest you attempt the following. I'm writing from a Windows 10 version perspective (but this will apply to all versions of Windows). I just don't recall the location in Apple/Mac:
Note the time on your PC - FIRST! Absolutely critical for a couple reasons. One of which, it must match the time-stamp of the CO website. If you're not negotiating the same time-stamp, most of the time any plug-in negotiations (UPLOADing is a time-sensitive time-stamped negotiation) - make certain your TIME is set correctly. Attempt to perform another UPLOAD to CO (noting the time). I'm assuming the UPLOAD will fail. Next, go to the Windows Event Viewer and examine the Windows Logs> Security events. Are there any errors thrown at the time you attempted the UPLOAD? This may well provide you with the information you need to further decide corrective action. Additionally, you might check the Windows Logs>Application events. Much depends on how events are written to Windows Event Viewer, but it's the best place to begin a review of a possible failed negotiation attempt.

Old December 26th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
There are many reasons imaging software upload features won't work for some and many websites via some Browsers and via employment of some antivirus (AV) s/w - I won't go into all of them. However, I've been following this thread w/ some interest & I'll post my best guess solution since it 'appears' to be Chrome related.
Excellent post, thanks. FYI, my problem posting a photo using Chrome WAS with Norton AV enabled. I never use Chrome normally, so this hasn't been an issue for me. I'll add that while probably not related to this discussion, I also use AdBlocker Ultimate with Firefox, and that app has it's own set of compatibility issues.
Old December 26th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Administrator

I haven't run Norton any of the paid programs for ages. Some wreak havoc in itself and/or slow down your operating system. Windows Defender seems to run fine but you need to do a manual full scan every now and again. I also use Malwarebytes and CCleaner for a backup and to clean the system periodically and have had no issues for many years.
Old December 26th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

...AdBlocker Ultimate...has it's own set of compatibility issues.
I loaded up AdBlock Ultimate many years ago - chunky, clunky poorly written program.
uBlock - works like a charm.

Old December 27th, 2018, 06:18 AM

I also use AdBlocker Ultimate with Firefox, and that app has it's own set of compatibility issues.
Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I loaded up AdBlock Ultimate many years ago - chunky, clunky poorly written program.
uBlock - works like a charm.
I'll second this. I switched from Adblock to uBlock some months ago, and I've had fewer compatibility issues. I have it installed in both Chrome and Firefox.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jbkeiagm?hl=en
Old December 28th, 2018, 12:05 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

UPDATE...If I use the little tiny font negative 12 ^^^picture Icon above ^^^(mountain with sun) it seems as if my problem has been resolved?
I'm perplexed as to why the manage tab does not do the same thing? But normal humans don't have this within cognitive reach...at least not my dumazz.

Looks like my SOP(standard op procedure) I told ya'll I'd compose just got real simple. Ill let it go a few more times to build confidence before composing
Now to figure out how to manage pictures is the next step. I was unable to delete pictures. Baby steps for this formally simple SOP.
Old December 28th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

UPDATE...If I use the little tiny font negative 12 ^^^picture Icon above ^^^(mountain with sun) it seems as if my problem has been resolved?
As pointed out in Post #4?

Now to figure out how to manage pictures is the next step. I was unable to delete pictures.
Delete them when? When uploading new pictures? After you's uploaded them to a post but before submitting it? Or when quoting a prior post that has unneeded photos in it?

When uploading, if you upload a photo then decide not to use it, simply click on the trashcan icon below the thumbnail in the menu window. Note also that if you have uploaded multiple images in this window, you can drag them around to reorder them. If you want to delete a photo after you have uploaded but before submitting the post (either one you've added or one in a prior post that you quoted) simply click on the photo to highlight it and hit DELETE.

Old December 28th, 2018, 01:09 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thanks, Joe,
The later. It just needs to be performed once then Ill have it stored in the empty void above my shoulders until the improved V2.0 is launched.

" When uploading, if you upload a photo then decide not to use it, simply click on the trashcan icon below the thumbnail in the menu window. Note also that if you have uploaded multiple images in this window, you can drag them around to reorder them. If you want to delete a photo after you have uploaded but before submitting the post (either one you've added or one in a prior post that you quoted) simply click on the photo to highlight it and hit DELETE"<<<<<.Will be added to the SOP....at least my own cliff notes for dummies

New software is not intuitive for me at first, most of the time, neither are iPhones/Droids(better off used as clay pigeons). However, physics, calculus, and a slide rule are. I aged myself. Software is NOT designed by a knuckle-dragging mechanical engineer(me). Advanced users/programmers just assume you have it and were born with it.. Anyone here who plays around with SAP/GSI or OTIS for the FDA knows this all too well. It takes a while to hurtle the learning curve for most....including me on both accounts. Zero intuitiveness you just have to dive in. My grandkids don't have this handicap...evolution.

TX
Steve
Old December 28th, 2018, 01:33 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

[QUOTE=oldcutlass;1143500]On chrome single and a multi selection from my device.
Single

First time I've seen a larger higher quality picture of your car and it looks great!
Old December 28th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Running On Empty

"We need help with pic uploading-a sticky perhaps"

Should read: You need help with pic uploading