General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wanna See My $28 Interior Job?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Wanna See My $28 Interior Job?

Our new little project had a massive problem! Not just nearly no interior, but what was there (cotton and springs) was so airborne when you drove around that it was impossible to breath or see for all the dust and fluff flying around! No point in trying to clean it up, either. Although I want to get some 'real' upholstery to install, I know that takes several months and it seemed like a waste of money to buy some seat covers. So, I tried a DIY project to get us through the next several months on the cheap!
I think I was successful, see what you think!

The total investment was $26 for two blankets at Ross, plus $2 for heavy duty safety pins. The only other tools needed was a pair of scissors and a black marker to mark where I was going to cut. Now, remember under these blankets, there is almost nothing but springs and fluff, I didn't bother with new foam, so it isn't gonna ever look smooth. Surprisingly the back of the front seat is decent, so it gets to show for a while.

After two hours, I had this finished, and am pretty proud of myself. Now we can drive it and you can actually see the pretty dash, since you don't have to concentrate on the medieval torture rack that the seats were trying to pass for!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7&l=5e32735e48

Kathleen
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Certifiable car addict...

Not bad! Espesially considering the price. Perchance was this car in SE Indiana? I saw a similar one on CL a while ago.

-Jeff
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice job!

Nice car!

- Eric
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM

looks good, also that has to be one of the coolest gauge clusters ever!
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Vera nice
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks! Its awful fuzzy and comfortable, I might have to actually sew this together and put it back on to protect my new seats...whenever that day comes!

Here is a question. I have been looking at interior sites, and would love to have the 'skins' sewn so I can install them. I did this on my '54 88 years back and they were gorgeous, but the company I used doesn't seem to be in business anymore.

Does anyone have a site that they recommend? I also would hate to wait 7 months, which I read one place takes!

Thanks again!
Kathleen
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Oh, and no, this car is not from Indiana, I found it in California...right in my own town! Although I imagine it is gonna be a money pit like most old cars (at least most of mine!), it was nearly as cheap as you can get for a running, registered car around here! We *drove* her home for $2600. I love 4 doors for that! They are so much cheaper and for someone who has kids, grandkids and dogs...pretty darn practical, too!!!!
Old May 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM

I had to look, just out of curiosity.I don't impress easily, but, a damn fine job.

Last edited by Bunser; May 13th, 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old May 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM

I like! Very good job.

If you lived closer to Philly, I would pay you to do my headliner
Old May 14th, 2011, 06:51 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Your homemade seat covers look great for the price,nice work!
Your right about your dash looking great,nice!
Looks like a great car.

btw,that was my first time to ever have anything to do with facebook,lol.
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Redog, I am about to order a headliner today. I will let you know if I did a good enough job to drive to Philly and do yours! LOL!

Bunser, thanks for the compliment! I am not easily impressed either, that was why I took the photos...I was impressed with myself! Still I can't wait for the real thing. And I am still wondering who I should order from...I am going to research that again today, too.

w-30dreamin- sorry to spoil your record of staying away from Facebook!
It is actually the best way to post pics I have found, I just whip them up there at full size out of my camera and ta-da! I can show photos!

Kathleen
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM
442=A perfect 10

Nice Job! Another plus is they will be nice and cool in the hot summer sun and your skin won't stick to them....ouch!

There are a number of companies that supply coverings for autos. A local auto upholstery shop might be of assistance. Hemmings Motor News is a wealth of supplier info also.
I have first hand knowlege and have dealt with Katzkin, Wilcox and Auto interiors of Raleigh.
You might do a search or try:

www.automotiveinteriors.com

Good Luck!

GOG
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Certifiable car addict...

I found this in an older thread. Might help you out since he's on the left coast as well.

http://home.comcast.net/~67merc/

Seems to be very reasonably priced considering the age & work involved in some of these older cars.

-Jeff
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM

sounds like you have to buy the material though and that's just labor cost to rebuild your seats.
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:09 AM

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ I believe that they can do it for you, or you can purchase the correct material and do it yourself or take it to a local trim shop.
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ingenuity at it's best. Sometimes a solution is so in front of us we tend not to see it. Obviously you are someone who understands this concept. Great choice of fabric and color BTW.

I love the way the old tranny selectors have R as the last feature; PNDLR. I've heard lots of horror stories of guys 'slammin' the car into (oooops R) instead of Low.

Last edited by Allan R; May 14th, 2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: political correctness
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ingenuity at it's best. Sometimes a solution is so in front of us we tend not to see it. Obviously you are one of the guys who understands this concept. Great choice of fabric and color BTW.

I love the way the old tranny selectors have R as the last feature; PNDLR. I've heard lots of horror stories of guys 'slammin' the car into (oooops R) instead of Low.
Alan, I think he be a she. So gals may be more appropriate
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I'm a girl. Well, I WAS a girl, back in the day...now I guess I am an olds lady.

As for the fabric and color...purely by chance, so I can't take that compliment! At this time of year Ross (a discount housewares store) has about 12 blankets to choose from. It happened that this color and fabric were the ONLY two of one color in the store. I got the queen and the twin and made do. They just happened to be a good blue!

Thanks for that link GTI Guru, even though it does appear that he has to have your seats to build on, it looks like he has an extremely good price for all that work!

1969w3155, that is a great link. Probably quite a bit out of my price range, but wow...a great resource! They even do custom embossing, which I have never seen before!!
Kathleen
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Alan, I think he be a she. So gals may be more appropriate
D'oh!! my bad, but the intent was not to insult genders; just recognize a talent. My apologies for the oversight.

Jamesbo, if there are 3 Scotsmen walking down the street, how do you know which one is a "MacDonald"?

Easy You check under their kilts. Whoever has the 1/4 pounder is the MacDonald (and that would also be a bona fide way of also knowing that 'he' is not a 'she'!
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:28 PM
One of None W-31

Who needs Legendary or PUI when Kathleen's around. Amazingly well done with the materials that were utilized, and the overall time spent doing the work. The color is also an excellent match!