General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Waddaya think caused this?

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2014, 09:10 PM

Waddaya think caused this?

DSCN0547.jpg

DSCN0548.jpg

A couple years ago I picked up a Craigslist find. It was a 1966 Toro engine that looked really rusty on the outside. But the price was right, so I thought it might be good for parts. I had a request for a 425 short block so I decided to pull the top end off this one to see how it looked inside. The above pictures are what I found under the intake. I pulled the heads and they look OK, a couple valves stuck open, but not a lot of rust. The pistons all look good, and while trying to remove the balancer the engine began to turn over just fine. So.... I wasn't able to pull the timing cover yet but am guessing it jumped time and cylinders fired when they shouldn't have. What do you guys think? About half the pushrods are bent.

John
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:28 PM

looks like they have been moving around a while. loose rockers or too short pushrods perhaps.
Top left second in looks like its been hammered, and if it pushes the rocker from the outer rim it will bottom out bending the rod.
See if im close
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Phantom Phixer

I think you're right about it jumping time.
It probably also needs some valves and maybe a piston or two at least.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; August 26th, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old August 27th, 2014, 12:07 AM

If opened that way without trying to start, i'd say cam jumped time at a high rpm .Nick
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:56 AM

If you have valves stuck open then you likely have valves that are stuck closed. When you crank one with stuck valves it will bend them just like this. I seen it with my own eyes. 4 of the 5 cars i got from that barn find had stuck valves. after three of them bending pushrods I decided to pull the valve covers on the 4th one and lubing up the valves and working them loose before I started it. That was the only one that did not bend them.
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
If you have valves stuck open then you likely have valves that are stuck closed. When you crank one with stuck valves it will bend them just like this. I seen it with my own eyes. 4 of the 5 cars i got from that barn find had stuck valves. after three of them bending pushrods I decided to pull the valve covers on the 4th one and lubing up the valves and working them loose before I started it. That was the only one that did not bend them.
For sure had this happen as well with a 425.
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:14 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by jensenracing77

I had the same with a Mopar slant six as well.

Roger.
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator

It was caused by multiple animate objects trying to occupy the same inanimate space. Pretty ugly inside I bet.