General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

w30 specs

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2022, 09:48 AM

w30 specs

Is there a Factory OLDSMOBILE Sheet telling u what u got added to the 442 when u ordered a w30 option. Have heard this and that and ---------- but never have seen a Factory thing.

I have a 1971 w30
Old May 8th, 2022, 10:08 AM

The salesman would tell you when you bought it; there would be brochures, and the window sticker would as well. We here like the SPECS booklet, if you google 1971 oldsmobile specs booklet there's a huge scanned pdf with it in the middle of it.

Pictures below. It says (summarized): Special V8, everything Outside Air Induction related, quadrajet, aluminum intake manifold, sport mirrors, certain tires, stripes and badges, less insulation, and manual disc brakes.

I think the quadrajet is a mistake as a 442 got one, so it, by its name, is not an upgrade, although it WAS a different quadrajet internally, I believe.

Old May 8th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

The exact content of RPO W30 varies by year. There are plenty of factory documents that spell out exactly what was included. As Koda points out, the SPECS booklet provides the details, as do the Inspector's Guides for each year, and the associated dealer ordering info sheets. Are you asking about a particular year?
Old May 8th, 2022, 10:36 AM

Old May 8th, 2022, 11:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLDsBARRY
Here ya go. There's no debate about what's standard and what options are or are not available. Any other regular production option not listed here could be ordered.

Old May 9th, 2022, 07:53 AM

All this is great guys BUT!!!!!!!! seems like the given piece of info are missing things O R am i wrong?
U have to understand im the new guy on the block who has just owned a '71 w30 for 6 months.
From what ive pieced together diff between a std 442 and a w30 is or r some of these BS????

W30 Badge
Hood w/ Air Cleaner
Intake Man WINTERS Just for weight?
Heads Larger Valves
Diff and Larger Ext Manifolds
Heaver Sway Bar
Diff Carb
Cam with a longer duration
Diff rear end ratio
OW trans if AUTO
Strips etc
Larger dia exhaust pipe
Diff rear bumper with cutouts
Larger radiator
R E D fender well
Raised letter larger tires
Heavier rear shocks
Interior diff than 442
Alternator lager output
Anything else????????

Is all this true ??????????? or BS. Is there an OLDs sheet that details what u would get ?????????

Last edited by OLDsBARRY; May 9th, 2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old May 9th, 2022, 08:23 AM

Where are you getting your information from ?
Old May 9th, 2022, 09:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

All this is great guys BUT!!!!!!!! seems like the given piece of info are missing things O R am i wrong?
U have to understand im the new guy on the block who has just owned a '71 w30 for 6 months.
From what ive pieced together diff between a std 442 and a w30 is or r some of these BS????

W30 Badge
Hood w/ Air Cleaner
Intake Man WINTERS Just for weight?
Heads Larger Valves
Diff and Larger Ext Manifolds
Heaver Sway Bar
Diff Carb
Cam with a longer duration
Diff rear end ratio
OW trans if AUTO
Strips etc
Larger dia exhaust pipe
Diff rear bumper with cutouts
Larger radiator
R E D fender well
Raised letter larger tires
Heavier rear shocks
Interior diff than 442
Alternator lager output
Anything else????????

Is all this true ??????????? or BS. Is there an OLDs sheet that details what u would get ?????????
I have no idea where you are getting this, but much of it is completely wrong. The differences in the W30 package are exactly what is shown in the document I posted, and nothing else. The PK5 white letter F70-14 tires are shown. The W25 hood and air cleaner are shown. The engine specs are listed in the Engine Assembly Manual, but the valves are the same 2.070"/1.625" intake/exhaust used in every other 442 that year. The heads are H castings, unique to the W30. The cams were P/N 409759 with manual trans, 409691 with AT non-A/C, and 400165 with AT and A/C (this latter cam was also used in every other AT 442 made that year). The G80 anti-spin was included, as shown. D35 sport mirrors were included. Suspension (springs, shocks, sway bars) were exactly the same as on any other 442 that year. Alternator was similarly the same as on any other 442 (larger with A/C, naturally). Why would the higher output engine require a larger alternator? The stripes are called out on the sheet I posted. The OW trans is called out in the Product Information Manual, section 7. I'm sorry, but what exactly are you digging for? Perhaps if you used MORE exclamation points and question marks you might get a different answer?
Old May 9th, 2022, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Where are you getting your information from ?
The items ive listed r what ive picked up from Articles - Forums - What specs i can find -writeups on w30 for sale. Im sure some r true and other BS or SHE SAID HE SAID. Love to c an OLDSMOBILE thing that outlined what u got when u ordered a '71 w30. Seems the 2 piece given in the Thread are missing info.
Old May 9th, 2022, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

The items ive listed r what ive picked up from Articles - Forums - What specs i can find -writeups on w30 for sale. Im sure some r true and other BS or SHE SAID HE SAID. Love to c an OLDSMOBILE thing that outlined what u got when u ordered a '71 w30. Seems the 2 piece given in the Thread are missing info.
I'd love to see people who can write in plain English, but that ship sailed long ago...

Any third party source (articles, websites, forums, and ESPECIALLY sellers) should be taken with a grain of salt. The ONLY reliable source is direct factory documentation. If you care that much, spend the money and buy yourself a high quality copy of the 1971 Product Information Manual (PIM), commonly called the assembly manual. That document is made up of copies of the engineering drawings the factory used to assemble these cars, including part numbers. They will tell you exactly what parts were used and what options were available. Of course, you need to be able to read engineering drawings. These are not intended as marketing materials for the general public. The Inspector's Guide will also list the parts that go along with specific RPO codes. You can buy one of those too if you care to learn the details.
Old May 9th, 2022, 09:36 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Dead horse, Joe.
Old May 9th, 2022, 09:54 AM

Seems like the OP is looking for more "wow" than there actually is.
Old May 9th, 2022, 10:13 AM

Joe P is sharp ! He can interpret this "slanguage" all the young kids use and answer in common words used most people use. Thank you Joe P.
Old May 9th, 2022, 11:03 AM

Thanks for helping a new kid on the block GUYs.

Just trying to weed out the facts and NON facts of a '71 w30

77 years old and have collected cars for 50 + years
Old May 9th, 2022, 11:11 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Here's a true fact for your file: In Canada, W-30s were built with Chevy engines!
Old May 9th, 2022, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Here's a true fact for your file: In Canada, W-30s were built with Chevy engines!
Now see - i didnt know that.
AGAIN thanks for helping The New Kid On The Block understand what 1971 w30 equipment is.
Old May 9th, 2022, 03:06 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Now see - i didnt know that.
AGAIN thanks for helping The New Kid On The Block understand what 1971 w30 equipment is.
That was a joke, Barry. Don't go around telling people that.