General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Visor Mirror Removal ???

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2015 | 12:01 PM

From: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Visor Mirror Removal ???

Can someone tell me how to remove the visor mirror without breaking it, lol... I know someone will say "Very Carefully" ... Thanks in Advance for any replies..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (261.7 KB, 32 views)
Old June 30th, 2015 | 01:38 PM

I have seen two styles of attachment: one is the mirror is glued on (may be aftermarket only) and the other uses a metal backing plate with two "pegs" that plug into "receptacles" in the visor.

My car had the peg/receptacle version but the mirror glass fell off the metal backing plate and I glued the new one back on without removing the plate from the visor, so I have no experience with how to actually get the plate off.

edit: My original with the metal backing plate and pegs had an Olds emblem in the corner. In the picture, yours looks as if it may be the glue-on version as it doesn't look like there's a backing plate.

Peg/receptacle mirror:

Last edited by Fun71; June 30th, 2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old June 30th, 2015 | 01:43 PM

From: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
I can see the two pegs behind the mirror, but I didn't want to pry much more until I knew more about it.
Old July 1st, 2015 | 04:44 PM

I got lucky on both my cars I didn't have to break the glass. My Vista had only the tin plate left on the visor so I could see the plastic pins. I used a pair of small tin snips and cut the tin up close to the pins. Then I could get the tin off, then I pulled out the old pins with a pair of dykes (oops I meant diagonal cutters). Then I put a dab of rtv on the new pins that were in the mirror and put it on. My convertible had glass on it but it had been glued back on and came off the tin easily with a putty knife. So I took the tin off the same way. One thing I would be careful of is always cut the tin headed from the outside in. I accidentally cut the material under the tin when I cut from the pin towards the outside edge because the blade went under the material and I didn't know it. The mirror hid my mistake though. I guess if you cant get the glass of the tin you could break it... May have 7 yrs bad luck....