General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

vintage Oldsmobile radio ad

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM

vintage Oldsmobile radio ad

I came across this today, and I thought I'd make it available here. I think you'll love it.

It's a radio ad for the 1968 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 recorded in January 1968 off of station WKYC in Cleveland. It's in excellent condition. It runs 1 minute, so you'll need Windows Media Player or another program that can play these audio files. If you've already got WMP or another audio program associated with mp3 files, just clicking on the link should start it playing.

Oh for the days when a car could be described as "dolled up" and simply having a vinyl top, whitewall tires, or deluxe wheel discs was enough to sell it. In particular, listen for Oldsmobile's "exclusive instant horn that honks when you squeeze the wheel." (I don't remember that one!)

This is from Oldsmobile's "Youngmobile" advertising campaign, so you'll hear that, too. I hope you enjoy it.

oldsmobile radio ad

Last edited by jaunty75; December 4th, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Hehe... That one left me smiling...
Is anyone else runs across more of these ads, please post the link!

Thanks for sharing!
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Registered

I feel all younged up now!

Pretty cool.

I probably heard that commercial when it originally aired, my mom always listened to WKYC.
I was more of a WIXY 1260 super-radio guy.

Come to think of it....
In '68 when I was 13..
I won tickets on that station to a Playboy Playmates vs. the WIXY DJ's softball game they played before a Saturday Indians game at Cleveland Stadium.
They wore these black skin tight hot pant jumpsuit deal uniforms with white shiny go-go boots.
I had reserved seats close to the field on the third base line and you could see everything very well, I brought binoculars too.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Come to think of it.... In '68 when I was 13..
I won tickets on that station to a Playboy Playmates vs. the WIXY DJ's softball game they played before a Saturday Indians game at Cleveland Stadium. They wore these black skin tight hot pant jumpsuit deal uniforms with white shiny go-go boots. I had reserved seats close to the field on the third base line and you could see everything very well, I brought binoculars too.
This would explain the evolution of ..........Red....Goat!!! I ......have more respect for him now than I ever did!!! Go Redgoat!!! Pass the binocs, I see somethin SHIIINNYY I need a better look see at.....
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Allan R
This would explain the evolution of ..........Red....Goat!!! I ......have more respect for him now than I ever did!!! Go Redgoat!!! Pass the binocs, I see somethin SHIIINNYY I need a better look see at.....

It was a life changing experience.

At the conclusion of that game the announcer said to get up out of your seats and give them a hand and all the guys in the crowd got sheepish looks on their faces and stayed sat.
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Rich from Las Vegas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niafrfGm2fE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsFi44Jy4gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1iEz930dFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo0LtoClLAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WC6g2v6zT8
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Mine makes me feel younger everytime I drive it. I've never heard that one before thanks for sharing. I've found print material for my car and the "Youngsmobile" campaign. You can also find some on You Tube too.
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by FATRATMATT
Mine makes me feel younger everytime I drive it. I've never heard that one before thanks for sharing. I've found print material for my car and the "Youngsmobile" campaign. You can also find some on You Tube too.
I hear ya. Only thing that's a giveaway when I drive mine is the grey beard and white hair But, man it sure takes me back to the day it was new. Thank God my memory hasn't gone on me for that era! I hope I never forget....

Anyway, moving on most of the time I drive my 72, people look at me funny because I have white hair and a gray beard. They think I'm too old to have a nice car like this. Screw em....why I remember just yesterday it seems that i was driving it and I was only??? wth? It must have been a little longer than I remember now..... Funny, thought I just talked to someone about this recently. Going to go down to my favorite Olds dealer and order a new car.......Dad always told me to buy an Olds and you can't go wrong. I think that was a long time ago....
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Great commercial...lol

Seems a little corny by todays standards,but hey,those were the days!

Old December 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Cutlass Lover

Allan R.... always remember.... inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened"!!!!!
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Allan R.... always remember.... inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened"!!!!!
Ok for you to say youngster. Last time I looked you still had a crest of ravens hair!
I still don't know what happened. It's a good thing you reminded me. Now, where the heck did I put my glasses???? I try so hard not to forget what's going on from minute to minute. Oh, there they are, next to my teeth.....can't remember now whether I had supper. Hmmmm, yup, there's stuff still stuck in my teeth ....

Now what were we talking about again????
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Seems a little corny by todays standards
It's a LOT corny by today's standards!

I like the idea of "young-ing" up your car.

Anyone ever seen an Olds with that squeeze-the-steering-wheel-to-blow-the-horn option?
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Allan R

Ok for you to say youngster. Last time I looked you still had a crest of ravens hair!
I still don't know what happened. It's a good thing you reminded me. Now, where the heck did I put my glasses???? I try so hard not to forget what's going on from minute to minute. Oh, there they are, next to my teeth.....can't remember now whether I had supper. Hmmmm, yup, there's stuff still stuck in my teeth ....

Now what were we talking about again????

You are funny!!! Only my hairdresser knows for sure! LOL!! Today's 50 is the new 30 - at least that's what they say! I don't think that applies to eyes and memory, though! I have glasses too, and suffer from CRS... (can't remember shi*)

I'm not short... I'm fun size!!!
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Height challenged, undertall, Smurf size, it all works
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Registered

Talking Dang me, Dang me

Pappy's a pistol I'm a son of a gun...I didn't know girls used that line too???

Hey, Sandy's the only girl around here just Like Smurfette is the only girl in Smurf Village!?
Coincidence!!!?
I smurf not!!.

She'll be smurfing us into smurfing the name of the site to ClassicSmurfmobile.com next.
I thought your skin had a blue tint to it Sandy, Ha!
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Today's 50 is the new 30 - at least that's what they say!
I wanna meet this elusive group called "they" and buy em all a big drink. "They" make me feel like 30 something all over again". My 30's were the most fun I've ever had so I'm looking forward to growing old all over again!!

Fun sized is goooodd!!! Dad always said that it doesn't matter how tall she is, the important thing is do the belly buttons line up? (This isn't a 710 thingy - or Olds Rocket science, so you should get it). Allan R.....you should never take a ........bathroom break when posting.......remember, I can hack into your Puter........"Redgoat".
Either I'm shrinking, or I'm getting wider.....Don't even think of coming near me with a measuring tape!! I useta be tall, dark and "built". But now I'm shorter, heavier, gray & wiser, happier but crumbling....I have all the symptoms of body aches and pains that I get tired of hearing from dem young whippersnappers at work

Edit: WTH? I just hit "Submit Reply" and there's stuff from Redgoat in my post. Everyone, check your security settings . How'd you do that Redgoat???

Last edited by Allan R; December 6th, 2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: computer security at risk???