General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

vin inspection man comming on sunday

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:10 PM

vin inspection man comming on sunday

so i picked up this 66 delta convertible and of course no title. so have to do a vin verfication with local police man. he needs to see 3 locations of vin idenification points. one is the tag in door, one (he says) is the trim tag, and i guess is the frame stamp. is this right ? and where might a guy start to look for this stamp ? appreciate ant help thanks
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
morgan

When i took a truck to MVD for a VIN verification they used the one on the dash because it was the only one on the truck... In your case it should be pretty much the same,old cars dont have 3 different locations
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:04 AM
72 Olds CS

I've read one here that a bodies had a frame stamp near the drivers rear wheel arch...I think on the top of the frame.....there was a pic posted on here w the exact location I'm going from memory
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:54 AM
morgan

The MVD is coming to you??...guess they do things different in Colorado. anyway I cant see an inspector climbing all over the place looking for VIN'S on a 66 Delta,its not like your car is on the top 10 stolen cars list... anyway good luck
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:13 AM

When I went to register my '67 Delta and my '73 wagon here in New Mexico, they wanted to see the VIN in two places. One was the obvious one on the dash of the '73 or the door hinge post of the '67, and the other was what they DMV lady (I took the cars there--no one came to my house) the "Nader" sticker, more formally called the "Federal Certification Sticker" or something like that. This is the little sticker on the driver's door edge, and it has the VIN, date of manufacture, etc. Of course, neither of these were on my cars. She was going to send me to the highway patrol to have them verify the VIN, but then she did a little research and discovered that both of my cars pre-dated the Nader sticker requirement, so this step could be skipped. I was lucky.

Here's an interesting read on this, at least from the New Mexico side of things.

Tales from the DMV and nader sticker hell

http://www.ruidosonews.com/ruidoso-o...r-sticker-hell

Interestingly, in this story, he talks about how the highway patrol does the VIN check only one day a month. That was his county, and he was lucky. I discovered here that, if I had actually needed highway patrol verification, the local office was so backed up that, when I called in June, the earliest appointment they could give me was in October.
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:19 AM

I had the VIN checked for a 66 in NV and NM and both places they just looked at the door jamb. If big cars are like F85s of the mid 60s, the VIN is on the top horizontal of the frame. It will be somewhere from under the driver's door back along that straight section, and again on the straight section behind the left wheel. A strong light and a mirror on a stick "might" enable you to see it if there isn't too much dirt on the frame. It was stamped both places by hand with a roller machine, thinking that one of the two at least would be legible. The VIN isn't complete, it will not have the initial part with the model number.
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I had the VIN checked for a 66 in NV and NM and both places they just looked at the door jamb.
It's good to see that they were aware that there was no door sticker in 1966.

There may very well be a VIN stamped on the frame or elsewhere, but, unfortunately, the DMV office people are not going to get down on their back and crawl under the car to look for it. If your car should have one of these stickers, and it's missing, you will likely have to go to the highway patrol or sheriff's office or whoever does it in your state to have the VIN verified. This is an annoying, time-consuming extra step.
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Nothing fun will ever happen involving the lawmen, the government, and the insurance agents. It's their job to build cases against you.

I replaced the doors on my car because they were rusting on the bottoms, with doors from 2 other vehicles.
Now, if the law came by, they would give me crap because my car has 3 vin numbers.

I keep the original door and trunk stickers in a box in the trunk, just in case, but didn't swap them over. I think the whole thing is stupid.
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Randy C.

The door sticker wasn't a requirement until the 1970 model year. For a '68 or '69 they can use the VIN derivative stamp on the engine block and the VIN derivative stamp on the transmission case if the block and case are original to the car. Before '68, I don't know what else they could use except the VIN tag. The VIN is stamped into the frame as well (on top, behind the driver side wheel opening), but it is next to impossible to see.

Randy C.

PS: I had to get the VIN verified on my '68 back in 2007 because our very own Dept of Licensing in Washington State made a mistake on it years ago (they used a "B" where an "8" should be). The inspector didn't know where to look for other VIN locations. I tried to tell him but he didn't listen. But, in the end (and I know he didn't look at the VIN derivative on the block, nor did he get down on the ground to see the VIN derivative on the transmission case (both original to the car)), they corrected it anyway. Sometimes I think a lot of these requirements are just a bunch of fluff.

Last edited by rcorrigan5; January 24th, 2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: got some more info to add
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Oh, the helpful ads at the bottom of the page!

http://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/...-your-vin.html

"Every car has a unique 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) filled with important details. The VIN is like the Social Security number for your car. It is used when you register your car, buy insurance, and when your car is in the shop for repairs -- to help order the right parts for your car. The police use it to identify your vehicle if it's been stolen.
...It would be nice to know what those mysterious numbers mean, wouldn't it? Aside from amazing your family and friends with your car knowledge, you also need VINs to get a CARFAX report on a used car so that you can find out about its history before you buy it.
...Look on the upper left side of your dash — you should see an important-looking badge with 17 numbers on it. You can also find your VIN on the doorjamb sticker on the driver's side. Here's how the numbers break down...."
======================
Evidently, no cars were made prior to 1981 then.
Let's see... 344678M100001 - the fabled '68 H/O convert perhaps?
13 characters.

Durrrr.
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM

thanks guys ill look even if mister inspector dont, just in case. colorado is pretty cool from what i have heard, they call it inlure of a bond title. with it you need a notirized bill of sale, a certified vin inspection, ($20) and a $11 dolar fee to have a title search done. the only thing is they may issue a builders title, a salvage tile, or no title at all all up to the state hounchoes to decide the fate of the car and our lives, and of course we are all car theves until proven inicent.
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:18 PM

I know, while trying to sell a '70 LS6 a couple of years ago, there's a few ways I wasn't aware of to verify serial numbers on a original car - but don't know if applies to all.
We had to remove the heater box cover and take a picture of the numbers stamped there, which were the last 6.
The most unusual, IMO, were the last 6 stamped on the quarters, under the trunk weatherstrip!
Also on the axle housing, passenger side, facing the rear.
Don't know if this'll help you though -
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:43 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I know, while trying to sell a '70 LS6 a couple of years ago, there's a few ways I wasn't aware of to verify serial numbers on a original car - but don't know if applies to all.
We had to remove the heater box cover and take a picture of the numbers stamped there, which were the last 6.
The most unusual, IMO, were the last 6 stamped on the quarters, under the trunk weatherstrip!
Also on the axle housing, passenger side, facing the rear.
Don't know if this'll help you though -
think positive starr ...doubt anyone is going to make you dissasmble your fenders engine and rear end with parts laying all over the street while an inspector has his magnafying glass out...this inspector is probably just going to look in a few places and look at the dash and make sure nothing is tamperd with and that will be that