General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vehicle History

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2008, 12:43 AM

Vehicle History

Who can I contact to get build history for my 442

Do we even have the ability, like the Pontiac crowd, to get these records
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:03 AM

http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/he...hive/index.jsp

Contact = support@gmmediaarchive.com

Norm
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by FTW65W29
Who can I contact to get build history for my 442

Do we even have the ability, like the Pontiac crowd, to get these records
Unless the car was built or originally sold in Canada (where records were kept independently from GM's records), the answer is unfortunately no. The information does not exist unless you happen to find a build sheet hidden in the car.
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unless the car was built or originally sold in Canada (where records were kept independently from GM's records), the answer is unfortunately no. The information does not exist unless you happen to find a build sheet hidden in the car.
Joe, would you have the contact for the Canadian archives?
Thanks
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:22 PM

VIN Revisted

I went to the local DMV office (Ft. Worth Texas) the other day. I was on a mission to attempt to get the VIN history of the 442. All looked good as I was filling out he request form. That is until she told me that they could only go back 10 years. According to her the state purged its records and nothing was on file exceeding 10 years. So for you Texas owners who have tried or have acquired the history of your ride are there any other resources other than GM or the state?

I know that I am rehashing an issue that I brought up almost 5 years ago!
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by FTW65W29
I went to the local DMV office (Ft. Worth Texas) the other day. I was on a mission to attempt to get the VIN history of the 442. All looked good as I was filling out he request form. That is until she told me that they could only go back 10 years. According to her the state purged its records and nothing was on file exceeding 10 years. So for you Texas owners who have tried or have acquired the history of your ride are there any other resources other than GM or the state?

I know that I am rehashing an issue that I brought up almost 5 years ago!:D
I saw that and was curious about why.. but you answered it. Just an FYI the MV registries here did the same thing. Nothing that goes back any significant amount of time. And the other thing you may run into is that since FOIP legislation has come into effect you may not be able to get a lot of the info you're looking for in terms of previous ownership. Do you have FOIP down there? (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy)

I wish you the best of luck in your quest. If only it had been a car built here or exported here first. I got my GM Canada info from the Vintage Vehicle services several years ago. It had some info I already knew, but nice to see it as it would have been on the window sticker.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I saw that and was curious about why.. but you answered it. Just an FYI the MV registries here did the same thing. Nothing that goes back any significant amount of time. And the other thing you may run into is that since FOIP legislation has come into effect you may not be able to get a lot of the info you're looking for in terms of previous ownership. Do you have FOIP down there? (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy)

I wish you the best of luck in your quest. If only it had been a car built here or exported here first. I got my GM Canada info from the Vintage Vehicle services several years ago. It had some info I already knew, but nice to see it as it would have been on the window sticker.
Unfortunately I may never be able to get the history before I acquired it for the first time in 1987. Too bad as it would have been nice to know where it was originally sold before I bought it. I vaguely remember the guy that I bought it from said he bought from a used car lot in El Paso. "Oh well life goes on"