General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Value of originality

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM

The Value of originality

I have been looking for a "driver quality" 69 cutlass convertible for the past 6-8 months. either they sell quickly or they are too far away, or the owners want to much for them... I recently came across an original owner car.

it is a cutlass S convt.. bucket seats, column shift, a/c car
1 repaint in the 80's in its original glade green color. original interior looks like a time capsule. 104,000 miles.. the owner is 96 years old... it is a southern car that has never left the area it was purchased in.. he has warranty card, protecto plate, service records with oil changes etc... it also has been maintained by the same mechanic since purchased new in 1969. that mechanic was 20 then he is now 63... I spoke to him and he told me the motor and transmission are like new. he said floors are solid,frame is perfect.

there are a few "issues"

There is a 3" rust spot on the rear lower quarter panel , in the typical spot, that would def need a patch panel

the power top stopped operating years ago, so he pulled the motor pump so he could manually lower/raise.
the top material is pulling away from the seams at the passenger side frame and will need to be replaced at some point.

the paint could use a real good compounding but def does not need a repaint

car has the original hubcaps( I would need to put Rallye II's on )

his family took the keys away from him and basically wants the car to go to a good home.. we started talking at $11,000 and I said no... now we're at $9850. I have to ship it, so that will add appox $500 to my end cost

if it wasn't for the originality and complete ownership history, I think the value would be lower do to the rust spot, otherwise I think this is a nice car.

Last edited by LI Olds; April 12th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:45 AM

All in all it sounds like a good car and in my book it's a big plus that nobody ever had the chance to mess around with it, being a one owner, one mechanic car!
On the other hand, rust is incalculably, but if it's really just a 3" rust spot won't be a big deal for a good body shop...the question is if the color can be reproduced and if only the area can be painted without attracting negative attention.
Assuming you'd get it for 8750 shipped and your budget is still set at 14k, I'd say you have enough financial scope to fix all the "issues" and more!
Just my 2 cents...
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Randy C.

The fact that it is a convertible is a big plus as well. Hopefully, the owner still has all the original apparatus to operate the top so it can be repaired and re-installed. It sounds like a good buy to me. Like they say at Barrett-Jackson, if the top goes down, the price goes up! And that's what my dad (also a car collector) would always say about convertibles: "The money is in the canvas". I believe it's a winner.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442Aug09b.jpg (63.3 KB, 14 views)
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Since you have been looking you know whats out there and what things have sold for. If it meets your critera then go for it. Even though it has a good maintenance record, 100 thou miles does not a new engine make. A car like this will show its age and problems when started to use regularly. Seams get weak on upholstery, conv tops crack, and mechanical issues arise. Its your decision and get what you want and let us know! I would advise you to look at the conv frame good as they are prone to rot.
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Administrator

I agree with Oldsmaniac, the car will cost you money in the long run. So the choice is yours, do you buy that one and dump another $10k in it over a 3 year period. Or do you find one thats $5k more and has been gone through. Cars are a combination of a personal and business decision.

Most people think with their hearts, not their wallets. I would treat it as a project and way the price in accordance with your skills.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:05 PM

sounds like a decent price for a decent car but do expect there to be more issues period. Always are. But for less than 10k for what sounds like a solid convertible that's not bad. You will spend around 1.2 - 2k for a new top with glass and new motor and hydraulic tubes. Not sure how much the "paper work" matters for a Cutlass. I for one would rather have it but its not like it adds to the price like a pace car or a W30/W31.

I agree with others, you have seen what's out there, don't expect it to be as goos as they say it is but in the end if it drives, a convertible cruising on a beautiful day is worth a bunch to those enjoying it.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Have someone look at it for you, even if you have to pay. Find a local garage and arrange to have it put up on a lift to be inspected. It's small money in the whole scheme of things. You get a completely different perspective when it's up on a lift.

The original ownership isn't going to matter to anyone but you.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:41 PM

been without power again this time 3 days.... why wouldn't original paperwork matter? I for one value original paper work and records, and original paint colors.. I think it would only help the value?
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM

sorry about the power loss, hope all is well. Don't get me wrong, original papers are always valuable but you know what a Cutlass is by its VIN, a W31 or a W30 needs paper work to prove what it is. You can argue that a W30 is a W30 with its matching numbers automatic trans which is W30 specific but there could always be questions. Unfortunately a W30 is worth way more than a Cutlass whether it deserves it or not. Now if you found a Cutlass with a 455 and highly optioned then the paperwork would really help since it was special ordered and the 455 wouldn't show up in the VIN.

I guess what I'm saying is the car sounds like a decent value but don't get caught up in paperwork unless its a W30, W31, W32, Rallye 350 or a pacecar
Old November 11th, 2012, 04:45 PM

this is the passenger side rear quarter. the worst part of the car

IMG_5443.jpg
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm not up on the latest prices, but it sounds like a good solid car you can drive and enjoy now, and the rust can be fixed when you're in the mood. This looks like an excellent candidate to "restore while you drive," which is the way to get maximum fun with minimum annoyance.

I'd lean toward getting it.

- Eric
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Registered Luser

That spot will be much worse than it looks....the outer wheel house, and trunk drop down will also need attention. I agree with what others have said. Pay someone to have it inspected. I would pull the bottom of the rear seat out, also the trunk mat. If those areas come up clean and dry, I'd say that is a pretty good price. I always would rather buy an "honest" car, rather than one that has been painted several times and has gone through several owners....also, if being sold by a dealer, then I start looking for red flags. But you don't need to worry about that in this case. Try posting some pics up.....
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM

some more pictures... 'cause everyone likes pictures

atl1.jpg

trunk
atltrunk.jpg
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM
442=A perfect 10

Originally Posted by LI Olds
some more pictures... 'cause everyone likes pictures

trunk
Nice that the car has the original paperwork, protecto plate and complete maintenance files...a big plus in any situation. It looks like a base Cutlass S Conv.. Are there any options like power windows, AMFM radio, etc.? I woujld be shooting for 5k-6k for a purchase price. You have to leave some room for repairs/resto. These cars typically sell fast and usually are in the 12k to 18k price range so structure your deal accordingly. Get alot of pictures if you can. Just my .02, IMHO. Hope it works out for you.

Regards,

Fred

Last edited by GoodOldsGuy; November 11th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:33 PM
GM Enthusiast

If that's the worst part of the car, it looks like a pretty good deal. Any other pictures?

I would definitely get the car inspected due to how rust prone they were just to be sure. I agree with you about adding Rally wheels. It will definitely make that car pop. Good luck with your decision.
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
If that's the worst part of the car, it looks like a pretty good deal. Any other pictures?

I would definitely get the car inspected due to how rust prone they were just to be sure. I agree with you about adding Rally wheels. It will definitely make that car pop. Good luck with your decision.

he sent me a lot of pictures.. but they are very small when I load them onto photobucket to host them here... I spoke to the mechanic again... so cool that he started servicing this car when he was 18 and now owns the service shop 40+ years later
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by LI Olds
he sent me a lot of pictures..
I am beginning to think that you may not have seen this car in person.

If that is the case, then none of us can provide you with really good guidance, other than to say, "Go look at it!"

I'm afraid that it's hard to get a really good idea of a car, or of the people selling it, without looking at it in person.

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I am beginning to think that you may not have seen this car in person.

If that is the case, then none of us can provide you with really good guidance, other than to say, "Go look at it!"

I'm afraid that it's hard to get a really good idea of a car, or of the people selling it, without looking at it in person.

- Eric

i haven't seen it in person. it is many states away from me.I do have a friend who owns a shop about 45 minutes from where the car is who can go inspect it for me if we get to that point.