General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Value of a '65 Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2012, 01:52 PM

Value of a '65 Vista Cruiser

Hi, I was wondering how much would an original '65 Vista be worth if it was parted out? There is a wagon I was interested in getting to fix up and the seller had wanted to part it out. It is rust free (except for some bubbling around the rain gutter due to a beat repaint). It has a straight driver side, front bumper that needs some work, and a passenger fender that needs straightened. The motor looks rebuilt (painted blue) and has a jetaway. The interior was overall in good shape and it had AC. The worst part is the tailgate was hit hard and the quarter is messed up. I just want to get an idea of what it would be worth seeing how that corner would take quite some work. Thanks, Wayne

Old July 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Overall Value

This is a tough one because it's subjective. In my humble opinion you would likely get a better dollar value by stripping it and selling the hard to find parts like the glass and various cargo area bits that are VC only. It's a shame it was hit in the rear because the tailgate (of course) and the rear bumper are two of the harder to find wagon only parts.
The front end stuff is a little easier to come by, if you wanted to restore the car. I guess it's relative to what you can get (got?) the car for. I had mine given to me but at the end of the day I decided to sell it to a friend and move on to my coupe project.
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:55 PM

I'd have to agree with Napoleon Solo. Parting out is a crap shoot sometimes. It doesn't help if the rarest parts are hooped. I've wrecked cars that after months, I still had most of the car. I've found other times, the same type car, and stuff sells like hot cakes. All depends who's fixing one up right when you're pulling one apart. I wouldn't buy a car strictly to wreck unless it was really cheap, or you really know your stuff.
Neat car, though. Good luck.
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM

Having had a 65 chevelle 2dr wagon, about the only way I'd part that out is if the rear rail and body panel were unrepairable, and rear gate unobtainable, or if the roof was bent.
Anything else is basic bodywork!
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:36 PM

Hi, Thanks for all the tips. If I was to buy the car it would be to fix up and use as a driver. It looks like something I would want to work on but I'm not sure what is a fair offer? Would $1250 be in the ballpark? It supposedly runs and drives but it will need the tailgate replaced , bumper replaced and quarter repaired. Wayne
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
This is a tough one because it's subjective. In my humble opinion you would likely get a better dollar value by stripping it and selling the hard to find parts like the glass and various cargo area bits that are VC only. It's a shame it was hit in the rear because the tailgate (of course) and the rear bumper are two of the harder to find wagon only parts.
The front end stuff is a little easier to come by, if you wanted to restore the car. I guess it's relative to what you can get (got?) the car for. I had mine given to me but at the end of the day I decided to sell it to a friend and move on to my coupe project.

Tailgates are easy to find, all 64-67 GM A body station wagons share the same tailgate shell. Rear bumper is shared by 64-65 Olds and Buick A body wagons.

Henry
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:47 PM

I know of a tailgate source but I would still have to make the correct trim hole modifications for a '65. I'm pretty sure I could find the parts I need but I estimate its going to cost at least around $400 (including transport costs). I just am not sure how much is a Vista in this condition worth? I'd figure $1250 but am not sure. Wayne
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It really only matters what it's worth to you and the seller.

If both of your numbers are close, you've got a sale.
If he is asking the "correct value" but nobody's willing to pay, the car sits ans rusts to nothing.
If you offer $1200, but he just wants to get rid of it as an eyesore (and his wife hates it), you may have just wasted $700, because he would have taken five bills for it.

- Eric
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:43 AM

It sounds like an interesting car at a fair price. I'd probably take a gamble for $1250. If the motor runs good and the interior is decent, you could take your time looking for parts. Hell, I just spent $500 on a 64 Skylark rag with totally rusted out frame, holes in the floor, rotten roof and interior, and no motor or transmission. It did come with registration at least. I just love it. I wash the moss off it, chase the mice away, lots of fun. Your wagon sounds like a steal. I say if you've got no financial problems, and lots of room at home, just buy it and have fun fixing it up.
Would really like to see interior pics. Be nice to see this car saved. Keep us posted .
Dave
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:24 AM

Doesn't look like that t/g was a virgin anyway!
What color is the interior? A/C? Other options?
DO NOT TAKE IT APART UNTIL A BODY SHOP LOOKS AT IT!!
Might take a minor pull from a frame machine to make it easier!
Where is this wagon? - if you don't want it, I've someone who does.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:54 AM

66 400 is right - all of the A body wagons have the same tailgates so it would make finding one marginally easier. I guess what I was really saying is that wagons in general are more rare. The Buick Sportwagons and VCs are identical from the A pillar back. Personally I wouldn't even blink for $1200.00 Buy it and figure out the next move afterward. Anything is fixable. At the end of the day, a perfect, optioned VC is probably worth 16 - 18 grand. ( anyone agree/disagree? ) So, that gives you 15-16g's to make it nearly perfect without losing any investment. Whaddya think, gang?
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:11 AM

Hey Napoleon,
Absolutely a "must buy" for $1250 or whatever. Don't know about the finished value in this weird economy, but certainly an interesting machine. Did you say you got rid of your Vista, or is it still around?
Honest Dave (honestly)
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:37 AM

Dave,

Don't mean to Jack this thread but I am looking at selling it. One of them had to go so I decided to keep the Royal Mist coupe. I have a friend who expressed interest in the car. He'd be able to get farther faster with the resto than I would. PM sent....