General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

V6 diesel

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

V6 diesel

Forgive the link to an outside site, but WOW! This is very cool in a perverse sort of way:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/olds...ml#post1479884
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You have an offbeat sense of "cool."

But thank you .

- Eric
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:16 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Certainly a nice looking setup, but why go to all that trouble to gain I suspect very little?.
I know modern diesels can have their power output upgraded but I always thought the Olds diesel was near the limit of what the bottom end could handle.

Roger.
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You have an offbeat sense of "cool."
Hey, I DID say "in a perverse sort of way..."

In any case, different interests me. I recently got crapped on over at the AACA Forum for making the statement that 64-72 A-bodies were the 69 Camaros of the Oldsmobile world.
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I recently got crapped on over at the AACA Forum for making the statement that 64-72 A-bodies were the 69 Camaros of the Oldsmobile world.
They're actually way cooler than the 69' Camaro's of the Chevy world.

All we get up here in Canada is the 83-87 Camaro's and Fire Chicken's.

Perhaps i'm biased, but having driven in the Unibodies and such, my Olds feels alot more "solid" and wider on the road.

I could be wrong, but that's my 0.02$ on the chevy world.

Cheers,

Tony
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Certifiable car addict...

I dig it! There's way too few diesels over here compared to Europe. Wish that technology woulf filter over a little better. TONS of Torque!

-Jeff
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Joe, could you post over there for me? If he is getting oil through the lifter, it isn't the problem, but he can increase oiling by drilling a small hole offset from center in the metering plate under each button. I found about .087" diameter to be good. He should make sure the pushrods are sending the oil freely.
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Diesel exhaust smells good!
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Very cool torque monster
Old October 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I recently got crapped on over at the AACA Forum for making the statement that 64-72 A-bodies were the 69 Camaros of the Oldsmobile world.
Heh. You shoulda been with me at the Southeast Old Threshers' Reunion a few years back when I said John Deere was the 69 Camaro of the old tractor world! The Harvester and Ferguson people hooped and hollered, and the JD crowd just glared like they wanted to drag me behind a Johnny Popper. I mean, come on- PINK JD shirts and license plates for teenage redneck girls? Local JD dealer sells a mess of that stuff.

The local Massey-Ferguson dealer is closing after 65 years, and we haven't had a Harvester/Case dealer in years. Kubota and Mahindra have really dented domestic tractor sales here.

##

Again, the Olds Diesel's relative failure can be traced back to being underengineered. The DX block makes a helluva gas racing engine though!

One of those little Diesels showed up at Seven Springs and its clatter was like a Pied Piper to a bunch of rats. There was a herd of people following it to its show spot.

The US needs to embrace Diesel technology for passenger cars more than it has. Only trouble is Diesel fuel would never drop price if that happened.
Old October 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Joe, could you post over there for me? If he is getting oil through the lifter, it isn't the problem, but he can increase oiling by drilling a small hole offset from center in the metering plate under each button. I found about .087" diameter to be good. He should make sure the pushrods are sending the oil freely.
Joe P --- pushrod length could be the issue? There is no logical reason that if oil is coming out the top of the lifter for it to not go on up through the pushrod -- unless the holes arent aligned??

Joe D --- Too bad I dont have HIS problem - eh? I have way too much coming up through the pushrod on mine and need to "undrill" the holes in the lifter plate!! Everyone has a different problem!! LOL !

His little motor would go great im my model T project!!!
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Again, the Olds Diesel's relative failure can be traced back to being underengineered.
If by "underengineered" you mean that GM cheaped out (as usual) and didn't include a water trap in the fuel system, then I agree with you.

One of those little Diesels showed up at Seven Springs and its clatter was like a Pied Piper to a bunch of rats. There was a herd of people following it to its show spot.
Yeah, I was one of them.
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM

hello every on. am one with the motor. after long shot i fix the problem. it seem that the stock lifter design (i reused the stock lifter as they hadn't worn yet at 60k) is different then the seal power designed ones. which have a better oil restrictor design and flow better

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Certainly a nice looking setup, but why go to all that trouble to gain I suspect very little?.
I know modern diesels can have their power output upgraded but I always thought the Olds diesel was near the limit of what the bottom end could handle.

Roger.
i'm going though the trouble for a few reasons. one hot rodding has gone way soft. at his point any monkey can build and make so SB or BB with a little parts matching. two i wanted to know what she could do, and to try something new (including a custom manual trans swap)

my mods should be good to 200 ftlbs @1600 when i finish a better flowing upper intake tube. from there 8-10psi out of a super should give me about 300 ftlbs (or that's the goal) i dont have room for a turbo in the century so a procharger will have to do.

the bottom end i think will hold 400lbs as i know a guy in that has build like mine less the Harland rockers that put down about 300 with 12 psi. he is working on a build with the Harland rocker set up after a valve loss thrash that motor at 40k.

glad you guys like the build.

+1 to 440 old build of the DX 350 blocks.

Last edited by lorddurock; October 20th, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:11 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by lorddurock

i'm going though the trouble for a few reasons. one hot rodding has gone way soft. at his point any monkey can build and make so SB or BB with a little parts matching. two i wanted to know what she could do, and to try something new (including a custom manual trans swap)
The spirit of rodding lives on through you!.

Good luck and please keep us updated with how your project progresses.

Roger.
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:01 AM

Personally, I'd like to see that motor in a Chevette-style body, with Olds-styled grills!
Probably need a 12 bolt[if you put tires on it]+ a 5-speed!!