General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Used flat tappet cam with new lifters?

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2016, 04:12 AM

Used flat tappet cam with new lifters?

I had a machinist check the cam when pulled to make sure it was not damaged. His results were that the cam was not damaged and is fine. I'm reusing this cam but along with a set of new lifters. I understand the mate of the lobes with the lifters from before. But with less than 500 miles on the cam, it should mate with the new lifters as long as i do a correct break in?

Last edited by Cpriester123; November 6th, 2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:22 AM

Why not! I would like to know if there is a reason. My opinion go for it. I have a cam that i intend to use that way unless someone like EFI can shed some light why i shouldn't.
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Administrator

There is nothing wrong with breaking in a used cam with new lifters. Coat the lobes and lifter bases with a good moly lube. I use this:

Old November 6th, 2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Why not! I would like to know if there is a reason. My opinion go for it. I have a cam that i intend to use that way unless someone like EFI can shed some light why i shouldn't.
Well I spent about an hour online researching forums from all over. From the hot rod forums to engine building forums and there were mixed opinions and experiences so I figured I would ask my Olds enthusiasts lol

Last edited by Cpriester123; November 6th, 2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old November 6th, 2016, 06:41 AM

[I]And with these current cam specs I was wondering if I should go with a bigger cam due to my set up. But i would hate to waste 140.00 and keep the cam out to sit somewhere with less than 500miles on it because I dont know anyone wanting a used cam. But im still debating with my setup: 🤔🤔<br/>350 bored .068 <br/>Custom forged flat tops from (Mark EFI)<br/>Performer RPM Intake <br/>750 Slayer Carb <br/>#5 Heads milled .010 (1.995 intake)<br/>2.78 factory gears but changing to a Posi soon with different ratio.
350TH with B&M kit and 2000 stall

Last edited by Cpriester123; November 6th, 2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old November 6th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Certainly I am not saying that lifters should not be kept matched to the cam if used lifters are being reused and that cam lube not be used. I would do both. However I do remember back in the 60's we used to buy and trade SBC camshafts all the time. Nobody used can lube and paid any attention to keeping the lifters matched. We never did the 15 minute cam breaking either. I don't remember anybody having a camshaft going flat.
Old November 6th, 2016, 10:12 AM

New lifters on a used cam is fine. This is what has always been recommended for a used cam in a different block
Old November 6th, 2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cpriester123

[I]And with these current cam specs I was wondering if I should go with a bigger cam due to my set up. But i would hate to waste 140.00 and keep the cam out to sit somewhere with less than 500miles on it because I dont know anyone wanting a used cam. But im still debating with my setup: 🤔🤔<br/>350 bored .068 <br/>Custom forged flat tops from (Mark EFI)<br/>Performer RPM Intake <br/>750 Slayer Carb <br/>#5 Heads milled .010 (1.995 intake)<br/>2.78 factory gears but changing to a Posi soon with different ratio.
350TH with B&M kit and 2000 stall
Why not get with Mark and find out what is correct for your build and gear plan up grade. Then if mark give you a different cam call out sell this one problem solved and use the cash towards a new cam if necessary.
Old November 7th, 2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Certainly I am not saying that lifters should not be kept matched to the cam if used lifters are being reused and that cam lube not be used. I would do both. However I do remember back in the 60's we used to buy and trade SBC camshafts all the time. Nobody used can lube and paid any attention to keeping the lifters matched. We never did the 15 minute cam breaking either. I don't remember anybody having a camshaft going flat.
We did this too. I remember trading an 098 Duntov for a 30-30 and running used lifters on both. Also ran hydraulic lifters on the 098 at some point. Never lost a cam or block doing this. I ran a 30-30 cam in a 283 bored .060 with 265 power pack heads in my 61 Vette, small Rochester 4-Jet carb (modified) and turned 13.08 at Green Valley.
Old November 7th, 2016, 06:06 PM

If your using a flat tappet lifter . What's wrong with the old ones? Their not hydraulic are they? Or is a flat tappet just not a roller.
I am going to re place a couple lifters and was thinking of re building the lifter that way I can have the same lifter on the same lobe. Is that not possible?
Railguy
Old November 7th, 2016, 07:31 PM

Flat tappet in this case means as you said, just not a roller. His is still hydraulic lifters. There are also adjustable mechanical flat tappets; again, just not a roller.

As far as rebuilding lifters about the most you can do is disassemble and clean them or swap in a spring or retainer from another one if it is broken. The plungers are usually not swapped out.

If the bottom is worn out/concave, they are done.
Old November 7th, 2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Flat tappet in this case means as you said, just not a roller. His is still hydraulic lifters. There are also adjustable mechanical flat tappets; again, just not a roller.

As far as rebuilding lifters about the most you can do is disassemble and clean them or swap in a spring or retainer from another one if it is broken. The plungers are usually not swapped out.

If the bottom is worn out/concave, they are done.
But if a lifter is collapsed wouldn't it be better to buy a new set the same as the old ones and swap out the insides.
Railguy
Old November 8th, 2016, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Railguy
But if a lifter is collapsed wouldn't it be better to buy a new set the same as the old ones and swap out the insides.
Railguy
When a lifter collapses it is usually from build up of vanish. Yes you can rebuild a collapsed lifter if the spring is to weak. It does not make sense to buy a new set of lifter to repair used ones.Just put in the new ones.If the bottom of the lifter has a low area the lifter is no good.Sugar bear point that out.