General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

two stroke oil 50:1 for leaf blower

Old February 13th, 2019, 06:47 AM

two stroke oil 50:1 for leaf blower

I do not recall whether or not I added 50:1 oil to the gallon of gas in my gas can....and I want to fill my leaf blower tank. The tank is about half full with gas that does have 50:1 mixed in. Should I, or should I not refill the leaf blower with gas in my can (again, unknown whether oil added).
Old February 13th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Jeff

Well, first of all... it should appear darker than normal gas, even able to see that it's darker in a red plastic can. I always keep a smaller 1 gal can for mixed gas, clearly labeled in black marker.

If you're not sure, I personally wouldn't chance it. Things low on my priority list of wanting to have to do because I did something that I *knew* I shouldn't, is to have to tear apart a two stroke motor to do a new set of rings (and possibly a piston) because I went against my better judgement.

A recent personal example of going against my gut: installing an over-the-range microwave. Stud finder went off a few inches apart. Thought to myself, "That's odd... and quite unlikely that there would be two studs that close together...." Went ahead and drilled anyway without taking 2 minutes to run into the basement to check. Wound up drilling into one of the upstairs bathroom drain pipes. All because I couldn't just take 2 minutes to run downstairs. Wound up causing me 2 hours of time to cut out a section of drywall, fill the small drill hole with putty, wait for it to set up, apply FlexSeal tape, repair drywall, THEN get back to the microwave install.

Last edited by Weezer; February 13th, 2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Grammar Policed myself
Old February 13th, 2019, 08:53 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Put some oil in. then worst case is you have 25:1 two stroke mix.
Put it into your leaf blower, if it has too much oil it will smoke a bit.
Your leaf blower has a simple two stroke engine, the worst that can happen is the plug will get fouled. If you put just gas in you will wreck the crank bearing,

Then mark your gas can 50:1 with indelible marker and add the oil before you fill it with gas next time.

Roger.
Old February 13th, 2019, 10:34 AM

I run premixed 50 to 1 tru fuel in all my 2 stroke lawn stuff. High octane, no ethanol, oil already there, good stuff.
Old February 13th, 2019, 10:43 AM

Too much oil= a little smoke

too little = Weed blower goes TU

BTW
Where do you find leaves this time of year?
Old February 13th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

BTW
Maybe using it for something else? Leaf blowers work excellent for blowing water off a motorcycle. Less water droplets to drip off the motor and primary onto the surfaces that get polished/waxed.
Old February 13th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Olds Fever

On occasion I use a leaf blower to blow the snow off the vehicles... Should say "used to", since all my vehicles are now inside...
Old February 13th, 2019, 03:31 PM

All my newer 2 strokes use 50/1 BUT all my very old 2 strokes use 40/1
about 5 years ago I ruined a 2 year old 2 stroke blower by using just gas, (DUH) - it seized hot but when it cooled it would run fine until HOT then stall out ... but not seize up.
then when it cooled it would run fine until HOT then stall out... but not seize ...

SO - if you ever buy a used 2 stroke - let it run to HOT for a while to be sure about it.

My friend bought a boat with a 2 stroke 115 HP which ran great in the guys yard (cold start) , the guy said he couldn't give a test ride down at the dock in the water (red flag) !
And that motor ran fine until HOT then bogged down to almost stalled ... but when cold ran fine again - continually ... until after about 5 tries later then it seized hard ...
My friend got ripped off ...
Old February 13th, 2019, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
BTW
My yard.
Old February 13th, 2019, 04:21 PM

If the gas is blue, you added the oil!
Old February 14th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Bfg

Leaf blowers have a wide use other than blowing leafs My wife uses it to dust table tops and other dusting chores.

Last edited by Bfg; February 14th, 2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old February 14th, 2019, 05:54 AM

they work awesome for clearing LIGHT snow........driveway, deck......
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
I do not recall whether or not I added 50:1 oil to the gallon of gas in my gas can....and I want to fill my leaf blower tank. The tank is about half full with gas that does have 50:1 mixed in. Should I, or should I not refill the leaf blower with gas in my can (again, unknown whether oil added).
Run it until it goes empty and then add to full. I keep a 1 gal gas mixed with 1 bottle of 2 stroke oil. I have a line trimmer, leaf blower and a snow blower that takes a 2 stroke. I never had a problem adding a 2 stroke fuel if its half empty.
Old February 14th, 2019, 07:38 PM

I use my leaf blower to dry the '57 occasionally, after a wash.
Old February 15th, 2019, 09:25 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

We're all overthinking this. Use the gallon of unknown gas to start a bonfire or clean some parts, go and buy a fresh gallon and add the correct quantity of oil,

Roger.
Old February 15th, 2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
We're all overthinking this. Use the gallon of unknown gas to start a bonfire or clean some parts, go and buy a fresh gallon and add the correct quantity of oil,

Roger.
Ding Ding Ding!!! Use the questionable gas for some other use. Mix it back into a 5 gallon container of gasoline and use it in your lawn mower this summer. If it had 2-cycle oil in it, it will smoke a bit more than usual but not harm anything. Whatever. Get another gallon of fresh fuel and add the appropriate 2-cycle oil. 2-cycle oil in the lawn mower=smoke. No 2-cycle oil in the leaf blower=a new leaf blower. Have your wife do the math!
Old February 15th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by rustyroger

Roger.
Ah.... depends on the quantity. I've seen far too many people try to start a fire with gasoline, with disastrous results. It's simply dangerous due to the flammability of the fumes, which spread out quickly. In reality, 4 to 8oz is the most I would ever pour onto firewood prior to starting a fire.

Instead, just use the gas in your 4 stroke mower as suggested below, and start anew with gas you know for sure you've mixed in your two-smokers.