General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Turn Signal Issues

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2014 | 06:47 AM

Turn Signal Issues

I have been beating my head against the ground with this one. I have a 71 cutlass supreme and I cant figure out why my right turn signal indicator lights up when the left signal is on, it's just not as bright. When I turn on the right turn signal indicator the left one does not illuminate. Can someone tell me why this is happening?

Also I checked under the dash for the turn signal flasher and there is not one in the holder. Does anyone have a picture of the flasher and flasher connector so I can have an idea of what to look for?

Thanks in advance for your response!!!!!!
Old June 23rd, 2014 | 07:29 AM
Administrator

For the signal stat, just go to the parts store and tell them year, make, model, and they will fix you up. There are 2, one for the 4 ways and 1 for the turn signals.
Old June 23rd, 2014 | 10:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Eric I have a few laying around just need to know what the connection looks like, color code, harness which it is connected with. I have looked at every wire under the dash and I can't find the turn signal flasher (relay) connector.
Old June 23rd, 2014 | 10:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well if you don't have a flasher relay in the fuse block, start by putting one in.

Looks like this and costs less than 5.00

The emergency hazard relay connector should have brown and blue wires and be clipped to the sub dash by the steering column. It's the same 2 prong connector design as the fuse block (each at right angles)

Your dim lights may be a symptom of a bad ground if the flasher doesn't solve your problem. Check the light sockets and the lighting harness grounds.
Old June 24th, 2014 | 11:26 AM

I've found that when something like that happens it's a ground wire.I know it sounds stupid but,when the ground is off or corroded it will pull ground through something else causing it to turn on.Check your grounds.
railguy
Old June 24th, 2014 | 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
I've found that when something like that happens it's a ground wire.I know it sounds stupid but,when the ground is off or corroded it will pull ground through something else causing it to turn on.Check your grounds.
railguy
And...This may sound silly, but make sure you have the correct bulbs in the taillights. I've seen the wrong bulbs cause all kinds of weirdness....
Old July 6th, 2014 | 08:43 AM

I checked all of the grounds and everything was good. I cleaned all the bulb housings and found that the f/r turn signal bulb was not in correctly. Everything is good now thanks for all the advice.
Old July 6th, 2014 | 08:57 AM
Administrator

Glad you found your problem.