General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trunk pull down latch 88/98

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Question Trunk pull down latch 88/98

Didn't know where to post this, but I was looking for some assistance with a pull down trunk latch. I hear these were found on 88/98 and of course Cadillacs from GM. I was thinking about adding one to my Cutlass. I'm not trying to make a show car, just wanted something a little different than the usual remote release. I'm thinking I may need to fab a bracket for the pull down to mount, but I'm not sure about the wiring setup? Anyone here familiar with how these wire up? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM

If i remember right they have power full time when the latch touches it acts as a ground
Old June 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by csouth
Didn't know where to post this, but I was looking for some assistance with a pull down trunk latch. I hear these were found on 88/98 and of course Cadillacs from GM. I was thinking about adding one to my Cutlass. I'm not trying to make a show car, just wanted something a little different than the usual remote release. I'm thinking I may need to fab a bracket for the pull down to mount, but I'm not sure about the wiring setup? Anyone here familiar with how these wire up? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Can't help you out with the wiring. If its anything like the electric pull down in my 98, why don't you just go get one from one at the boneyard? Don't know how much you'll have to modify your trunk latching. While you're there, track the wiring back to the source. The solenoid for the trunk release is usually in the trunk too (drivers side on the upper part of the quarter panel. They also have the manual release in case there's no power. Something to think about?
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback. What year is your 98 Allan?
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for the feedback. What year is your 98 Allan?
1995. But the pull down trunk is probably a common part shared by a lot of models and a lot of model years.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM

I think yours is a different model. The one I was looking at was actaully from a 89. It looks like this. I figured having the latch and pull down from the same set would be best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pull down.jpg (12.6 KB, 9 views)
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I think yours is a different model. The one I was looking at was actaully from a 89. It looks like this. I figured having the latch and pull down from the same set would be best
Hey, looks good. Go for it. Let us know how it turns out. You're adding a power trunk release and the pull down... cool. make sure you have the wiring to the trunk release too.