General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Transporting my Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
My co-pilot for 30 years

Transporting my Oldsmobile

Greetings fellow Oldsmobile fans,
Relocating from Omaha to Vegas, used a broker (based on research from these threads) as well as other recommendations. Has anyone encountered the statement in the contract which translates to..."the quote we gave you may not be final..you may have to pay the shipper more....and there's nothing you can do about that".?
Is this a normal (standard)? Never shipped a car and can't seem to make sense of it. Any help from others who've shipped before would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Olds fanatic

I'm not familiar with that clause, but if I may, allow me to offer you some advice. You should make sure to be there when they are loading your car and make sure you have good documentation (i.e. pictures) of every inch of your car's condition prior to being loaded. You then need to make sure to look over the car carefully on the other end when it gets unloaded.

I've shipped cars many times and have only had a problem once but it will cost me. The last shipper clearly had a red car rubbing up against my rear bumper on my 70 Cutlass during transport. There is damage to my bumper and my deck lid. I tried to fight this and get them to pay but I was unsuccessful. The car was loaded during a heavy rain and was pretty dirty when unloaded. I did not notice the damage until several weeks later. Good luck on your move.
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sounds to me like you pay the broker to find a shipper for you,then pay the shipper to ship for you.
Cut out the middle man and screw the broker,go directly to a shipper.
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

why not find a local to drive you and your car to your new location. pay him x amount on the miles plus an extra fee for the drive . I had a guy at the a local gas station asking me how much to tow a car thinking that was what i did for work . I explained to him i was towing my car to the race track . he asked me if i was intrested he shot me a price and i agreed . talk to local drag racers with nice enclosed trailers who would take less than a transporter but be happy with what you pay and you can probably ride with em and make sure everything is right .
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:08 PM

I used these guys to ship mine from Kansas to Massachusetts. Since it was a convertible I had them put it on the upper deck and it think it cost right around $1100

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM

x2 i went straight to shipper and made one payment and had no problems after shipment.
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM

i shipped mine from socal to nc for 800 dollars but that was six years ago, i got a quote from das auto shipper from nc to socal for 1000 since im trying to move back that a good price.
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM
2 '66 98's

I've had two cars shipped in the last couple of years and the final price was known before the cars were picked up. I used a broker both times but all they did was find me a carrier who was going to be in the area at the time I required. They put me in touch with the carrier and all final arrangements were made with him. I was satisfied both times. Open trailer. No damage. No problem. First from NJ to Calif. Last time, Louisiana to NJ.
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:27 PM

Who is moving your personal belongings? Ask them for a quote. If DIY, pull a flatbed behind the truck.
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Who is moving your personal belongings? Ask them for a quote. If DIY, pull a flatbed behind the truck.
This is something worth looking into. My brother moved twice, with his Z-28 stacked on an upper shelf inside the moving van itself. They had to load/unload it at the yard, but picked the car up and delivered it to his house.
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:52 AM

I have used fedex ground transport twice, and the service was excellent