General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Transmission-Washington to California-Go !

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM

Transmission-Washington to California-Go !

It sounds like cadillackid661 is going to buy my transmission ( 1970 Olds Toro GT TH425 ). I'm going to palletize it and I'm guessing it will weigh about 200+ pounds with torque converter, half shafts, etc. This will be shipped from Seattle to Los Angeles ( general area ) via freight.

Question(s): Anyone in the Seattle or Los Angeles area ever shipped an engine or transmission at this approximate distance. About how much did you pay for shipping and does anyone have a recommendation for a good reliable freight company. What about FedEx or UPS ?

I'm just taking a guess that shipping will be around 200.00 if I deliver the transmission to the carrier. Obviously, if they pick it up it will cost more.

Any ideas from those of you on the westcoast ( California, Oregon and Washington ) or for that matter anywhere else.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:43 AM

Shipping

Last year I shipped an engine to LA but he arranged all the shipping so I don't know the costs. A few years ago I shipped one to Las Vegas and it ran $250-300. The most recent was one to Colorado and I think that was in the $300-350 range but I don't remember for sure. Be sure you drain the transmission fluid from the gearbox and converter, if it leaks and makes a mess the shipping company will probably charge a significant cleanup fee.

Yes, put it on a pallet and secure it well. I used a set of nylon ratchet tie downs from Harbor Freight since I don't have access to a banding machine. Skip UPS and FedEx but look at which trucking company has easy access for you to drop it off at. I suspect it will weigh closer to 300 pounds attached to the pallet, but that's just a guess. The last large item I shipped I put on the pallet and took to a nearby shipper. They used a forklift to take it out of my truck and weigh it, then gave me a shipping quote. That also gave me an exact weight for the complete pallet

Oak Harbor Freight Lines has an office here in town so thats who I go to. Since your near Seattle I suspect you would have several trucking companies that you could use. As I think about it most of the items I've shipped on pallets the buyer arranged shipping so I don't know the costs. If you can get the exact weight and have the delivery address you might be able to call around. That's one more detail, if the buyer can pick it up at their depot rather than them deliver with a lift gate truck you may save some money.
John