General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tranny blew up!

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Tranny blew up!

Hi Guys,

So had a problem with my 68 442 TH400. Took it to the trans shop where it was rebuilt. Long story short the trans disintegrated. They say it needs to be totally rebuilt. The car has less than 1500 miles on it, car show miles not race miles. They claim it didn't have proper lubrication. I took the radiator to a shop and the guy said the trans cooler was full of metal (probably why it was clogged! I bought the 4 core radiator at OPGI probably 5 years ago, new. It ran in the car before I rebuilt everything. They rebuilt the trans and I installed it using royal purple synthetic trans fluid. I am having a real hard time believing that it was the trans cooler and not something they did wrong. These trans are bullet proof.

What do you think?
Old October 9th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I tend to agree with you. All data point to a faulty rebuild.

... But good luck proving it.

- Eric
Old October 9th, 2015, 12:17 PM

One thing... before installing a rebuilt trans, always flush the cooler and the lines thoroughly. They sell flush kits in cans at auto parts stores that will thread onto the trans cooling lines. I've had several top notch builders warn me about this... the coolers are debris collectors when a trans fails, and that debris goes right back into the valve body of the new trans.

A blocked trans cooler will not result in improper lubrication (you can run a trans with the cooler lines blocked off without damage)... but it WILL eventually cause the trans to heat up excessively with street driving, and once the fluid starts breaking down due to temperature, you will get internal trans damage.

It's hard to say what you have there... the chicken or the egg... if you know the cooler was clean and functional when you installed this trans 1500 miles ago, it's likely the trans. If the trans failed 1500 miles ago, you had it rebuilt and reinstalled without cleaning the cooler out to verify flow, it's a possible contributor. Either way, you probably won't be able to prove anything without a forensic teardown by another shop that's independent.

Final comment... if these guys couldn't rebuild a TH400 that would survive on the street, it's time to find a different shop... it doesn't get much easier when it comes to transmissions...
Old October 9th, 2015, 12:55 PM
morgan

Sounds like a bad rebuild to me also which can probably be determined upon breakdown but as eric said good luck trying to get the rebuilder to back it up because he may point to coolwr not flushed and old tranny was at fault...but i wouldnt buy that your cooler was at fault ,no way ... Bad rebuild
Old October 9th, 2015, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys,

Just got a call from the shop they are giving me a HD torque converter and doing all the labor for "free" That being said they still want $1100. (including an external cooler) There was nothing wrong with the transmission when I rebuilt it. I just thought it would be a good idea while doing the engine. I would think I would have felt something if the trans was overheating. It ran fine. I took it to the desert for the Jay Leno shoot when I noticed a problem. It made a dry bearing sound while idling in park and it would slip a little when accelerating. It would hiccup after that once in a while.

I agree with you on being able to prove it and the fact that I installed it doesn't help. These transmissions are bullet proof and just seems a little odd to have catastrophic failure. I would bet the courts would be in my favor if we took that route (which I don't want to) I expressed my extreme displeasure and they are going to run it up the flag pole with the management for a better price.

Stay tuned!
Old October 9th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Administrator

$1100 is about the price to have a quality T400 rebuild, inclusive of a new torque converter, and an inexpensive cooler. What exactly are you getting for free?
Old October 9th, 2015, 01:57 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
$1100 is about the price to have a quality T400 rebuild, inclusive of a new torque converter, and an inexpensive cooler. What exactly are you getting for free?

good will ?
Old October 9th, 2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 442craig
Thanks guys,

Just got a call from the shop they are giving me a HD torque converter and doing all the labor for "free" That being said they still want $1100. (including an external cooler) There was nothing wrong with the transmission when I rebuilt it. I just thought it would be a good idea while doing the engine. I would think I would have felt something if the trans was overheating. It ran fine. I took it to the desert for the Jay Leno shoot when I noticed a problem. It made a dry bearing sound while idling in park and it would slip a little when accelerating. It would hiccup after that once in a while.

I agree with you on being able to prove it and the fact that I installed it doesn't help. These transmissions are bullet proof and just seems a little odd to have catastrophic failure. I would bet the courts would be in my favor if we took that route (which I don't want to) I expressed my extreme displeasure and they are going to run it up the flag pole with the management for a better price.

Stay tuned!
Wow!! I can get a carryout for about $750. What favor are they doing you. My gut feeling is they are taking advantage of you.Not once but twice.
Old October 9th, 2015, 03:54 PM

You're all not making me feel any better.
That is with "free" labor. we will see what comes monday when they call me back!
Old October 9th, 2015, 05:48 PM

Doesn't sound right to me. Mine didn't cost that much to rebuild. Personally I would have a different shop look at it. Check the bbb in your area for complaints against them.
Old October 9th, 2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 442craig
You're all not making me feel any better.
That is with "free" labor. we will see what comes monday when they call me back!
Man i am sorry that you had problems i was just letting you know my cost. I hope it works out for you.
Old October 9th, 2015, 07:17 PM

I think there are more crook transmission guys out there than there are bad engine machine shops... My TH400 rebuild was $750 and included updated sprags and new torque converter. I am lucky because we have a great trustworthy transmission guy near me. He said the Powerglide, TH400 and TH350 are easy money makers for many transmission shops because they are so fast and easy to rebuild compared to many new transmissions.
Old October 10th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Thanks Guys,

Pushing back a little we will see what they come back with on Monday.

I'll keep you posted!
Old October 10th, 2015, 03:28 PM

The second gear sprag probably let go! A lot of shops will try to reduce cost by using old parts. To bad you weren't able to see it open. You may have been able to save some money.
Sean
Old April 12th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pettrix
Here is a list of parts that goes into the 2004R to make it live behind an engine making decent power:

http://extremeautomatics.com/product...romc=17&fromt=

No matter the build. A billet input shaft and billet forward drum are MANDATORY. Otherwise, it's a time bomb and it will eventually fail even on a mild 400HP build.
I think you responded to the wrong thread.
Old April 13th, 2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
One thing... before installing a rebuilt trans, always flush the cooler and the lines thoroughly. They sell flush kits in cans at auto parts stores that will thread onto the trans cooling lines. I've had several top notch builders warn me about this... the coolers are debris collectors when a trans fails, and that debris goes right back into the valve body of the new trans.
The trans shop I do business with always flushes the cooler with any trans overhaul. If the cooler is restricted, the flush machine warns them, so the cooler(s) can be replaced.

For the record...if the cooler was plugged/restricted, it may have caused excessive wear on the crankshaft thrust bearing.

A blocked trans cooler will not result in improper lubrication (you can run a trans with the cooler lines blocked off without damage)... but it WILL eventually cause the trans to heat up excessively with street driving, and once the fluid starts breaking down due to temperature, you will get internal trans damage.
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The fluid coming out of the cooler is piped back inside the trans--THAT is the fluid that lubricates the geartrain. Block the cooler flow, the trans has no lubrication.

Final comment... if these guys couldn't rebuild a TH400 that would survive on the street, it's time to find a different shop... it doesn't get much easier when it comes to transmissions...
Agreed.