General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2014, 04:59 PM

Too good to be true?

found this car on carsforsale.com. Owner emailed me that it was to be paid for by Amazon Payments and would be shipped to my address for 7900.00 total cost. Says they are deployed in Poland and soon to go to Afghanistan. Fast sale desired. Any one else feel like Santa came early? I told them sell it to a local dealer because I cant believe its real. Any thoughts. http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/1972_Oldsmobile_Cutlass/library/?sort=3&page=1
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM

Complete scam. Deployed or not, unless he can send a buddy/brother in law/family member with the title to meet you in person and close the deal, there is no deal to be made other than him laughing all the way to the bank at the gullibility of people on the internet.

... which sucks, because that would have been a nice find.

Last edited by ach1992880; December 9th, 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:14 PM

I was born in the morning but it was not THIS morning. I would not be surprised if some one on here recognizes the pictures as their car. My opinion is that anyone who can afford that car and the property behind it would know to sell it to a local dealer in a pinch rather that take a shellacking on the internet and pay shipping to any location.
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:40 PM

The following is the email I got. If it is legit I will feel like an A hole for doubting a vet but at the same time these days you cant be too careful. I called Amazon.com and they recommended passing on it. This is the email I got... I've just seen your email. I'm emailing you about my 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, that is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained, hasn't been involved in any accident, runs and drives excellent and has a clear title. Everything works: lights, gauges, radio, seats, windows, locks, etc. Has no electrical or mechanical problems, damages, dings, scratches or hidden defects.

I bought it when I was serving in Fort Lewis, WA US Army base and now I am deployed in Warsaw, Poland. It will be delivered from Washington state. I have dropped the price to $7,900 that includes delivery and handling to your address because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell it before December 27th when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team, back to Afghanistan for a year.

I have setup this sale with Amazon Payments so this deal must go through them. The transaction will be managed by Amazon Payments for our own protection as they act as a neutral third part, which means that you will have a 5 days inspection period (starting from the moment when you get it) before committing to buy it. If is not in same condition as I said, you will ship it back on my expense and Amazon Payments will send you a full refund. But I assure you won't be the case.

If you're interested to conclude this purchase in a timely manner email me your Full Name and Shipping Address to open a case with Amazon Payments. They will contact you to explain the entire procedure without any obligation to buy it or fees.

I don't want to offend you, but it is priced for a fast sale so if you intend to apply for a loan or financing please do not reply to this message.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Alison Rosen

P.S.: I have made a photo bucket album: http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/19...?sort=3&page=1
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:44 PM

Sure, payment could be through Amazon Payments, after the car is in your driveway with a signed title in your hand.
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Sounds like well written scam.
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:58 PM

If it is ligitimate, then see if there is someone on here who lives in the tacoma Washington area who could get a look at it for you, If that can't be done by the buyers view then I would walk away.
If it was close to me i would check it out for you.
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:02 PM

Now that I'm on my computer I can see in the photo bucket pics a dent in the pass side fender just above the bumper as well as scratches on the driver side rear quarter. Does not fit the email NO DAMAGE description. Time to contact CARSFORSALE.COM.
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:50 PM

Just found this car on EBAY from 2013. One of the pics on ebay is the same as in the scam add. I sent a message to carsforsale.com on this. Seems I am quite the detective. Saved myself and hopefully others 8000.00
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:56 PM
72Cutlass S

It looks like there is a big anttenna hole in the deck lid.
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:59 PM

On ebay the old seller mentions that. I left a message for him to contact me because some of his pictures are used in this scam.
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice sleuthing. Also add smashed windshield wiper plastic jar in engine compartment. Too bad, if it was a real seller this car is a great looking unit.
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:31 PM

Just talked to the owner who EBAYED this car to Zealand so obviously all doubt is removed that it is a scam. He called me back and confirmed this car was shipped over seas.
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:51 PM

If you have to start a thread 'Too good to be true' asking if its too good to be true, then you answered your own question
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:12 PM

No question

Was warning others. Knew it was a scam. Proved it later.
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:12 PM

Too good to be true?

This version of scam has been around for at least half-dozen years. I first experienced it maybe 5-6 yrs ago when I spotted an ad for a '69 Boss 429 Mustang for something like $15K. Knowing what these cars bring on the open market, I knew immediately something wasn't right. Story was this gal's dad had bought the car for her on her 16th birthday (give me a break...what dad would buy their daughter a torque monster like that for her 16th birthday?). Well, she had to relocate to England and the car was in a storage facility in Florida and she needed to get rid of it. Implication here was that she was a gal who had no idea what the car was worth...hence, the very low price. Since she lived in England, she wouldn't be available to meet for an inspection. She would, however, agree to half down and pay shipping. If it wasn't as described and to your liking, she'd arrange return shipping and refund the money. Instead of Amazon, she wanted to run this through e-Bay. There had been a rash of online scams at the time (on both e-Bay and Craigslist) and I couldn't resist playing this low-life by feigning an interest in buying it. They even provided a phone number; which, when I looked up the prefix, would have been a number in something like Slovakia rather than England. I strung them along for a couple weeks building up their hopes of getting a big payoff...then, responded by telling them I had contacted the Federal authorities in charge of internet theft (made that one up!) and they would be following up with them.

Thought this type of scam had run it's course...but, apparently not. Looks like the new twist is playing on people's sympathies with our Vets. As we've all heard our entire lives...if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Glad you had your "radar" up and questioned it.
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:00 PM

Does this ring a bell

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:26:43 +0000
Subject: Re: Vehicle Inquiry - Carsforsale.com - 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT

Hello,

I've just seen your email. I'm emailing you about my 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT, that is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained, hasn't been involved in any accident, runs and drives excellent and has a clear title. Everything works: lights, gauges, radio, seats, windows, locks, etc. Has no electrical or mechanical problems, damages, dings, scratches or hidden defects.

I bought it when I was serving in Fort Lewis, WA US Army base and now I am deployed in Warsaw, Poland. It will be delivered from Washington state. I have dropped the price to $2,450 that includes delivery and handling to your address because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell it before February 27th when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team, back to Afghanistan for a year.

I have setup this sale with Amazon Payments so this deal must go through them. The transaction will be managed by Amazon Payments for our own protection as they act as a neutral third part, which means that you will have a 5 days inspection period (starting from the moment when you get it) before committing to buy it. If is not in same condition as I said, you will ship it back on my expense and Amazon Payments will send you a full refund. But I assure you won't be the case.

If you're interested to conclude this purchase in a timely manner email me your Full Name and Shipping Address to open a case with Amazon Payments. They will contact you to explain the entire procedure without any obligation to buy it or fees.

I don't want to offend you, but it is priced for a fast sale so if you intend to apply for a loan or financing please do not reply to this message.

Alison Rosen

P.S.: I have made a photo bucket album: http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/1978Ford_Bronco/library/?sort=3&page=1
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:21 PM

photobucket, both links:

Sorry, an unexpected error occurred.

The stilted English is a good clue that the scammer is not a native speaker. Not all such folks are scammers, but by far most scammers use English like that.

PS there is no old car on which "everything" works.
.=================================================

Subject: Re: Vehicle Inquiry - Carsforsale.com - 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT

Hello,

I've just seen your email. I'm emailing you about my 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT, that is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained, hasn't been involved in any accident, runs and drives excellent and has a clear title. Everything works: lights, gauges, radio, seats, windows, locks, etc. Has no electrical or mechanical problems, damages, dings, scratches or hidden defects.

I bought it when I was serving in Fort Lewis, WA US Army base and now I am deployed in Warsaw, Poland. It will be delivered from Washington state. I have dropped the price to $2,450 that includes delivery and handling to your address because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell it before February 27th when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team, back to Afghanistan for a year.

Alison Rosen

P.S.: I have made a photo bucket album: http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/19...?sort=3&page=1
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Administrator

At least they have good grammar.
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:52 PM

Must conclude this purchase in a timely manner. (Amazon Payments). They will confirm these are Scams. Any time the English is suspect it is a scam. I say always do your home work.
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:34 AM

More from the same scam artist!!

a.r19777@comcast.net
Vehicle Inquiry - Carsforsale.com - 1966 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class 230SL Convertible

Hello,

I've just seen your email. I'm emailing you about my 1966 Mercedes-Benz 230SL Convertible, that is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained, hasn't been involved in any accident, runs and drives excellent and has a clear title. Everything works: lights, gauges, radio, seats, windows, locks, etc. Has no electrical or mechanical problems, damages, dings, scratches or hidden defects.

I bought it when I was serving in Fort Lewis, WA US Army base and now I am deployed in Poland. It will be delivered from Washington state. I have dropped the price to $15,000 that includes delivery and handling to your address because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell it before February 27th when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team, back to Afghanistan for a year.

Alison Rosen

P.S.: I have made a photo bucket album: http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/19...?sort=3&page=1
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:40 AM

And the story continues...

The car is at our Military Logistic Department in Fort Lewis, WA Army base. Since the car is in a military base with no access you can’t go there and take it only the Logistic Department can deliver it because the car is in their custody. They will deliver it to your home .

Because I can't do this transaction personally I have setup this sale with Amazon Payments so this deal must go through them. They will keep your money into a non-interest bearing trust account, so that you can see the vehicle before committing to buy and to eliminate any problems you have 5 days to inspect. The five days starting from the time you receive the vehicle. If you decide not to keep Amazon Payments will refund your money and shipping back will be my concern. But I assure you won't be the case.

Please let me know if you are still interested.
Thank you,
Alison
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:33 PM

Alison Rosen seems to own a lot of nice cars.
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:34 PM

Here it goes again

Hello,

I've just seen your email. I'm emailing you about my 2006 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Sport, that is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained, hasn't been involved in any accident, runs and drives excellent and has a clear title. Everything works: lights, gauges, radio, seats, windows, locks, etc. Has no electrical or mechanical problems, damages, dings, scratches or hidden defects.

I bought it when I was serving in Fort Lewis, WA US Army base and now I am deployed in Poland. It will be delivered from Washington state. I have dropped the price to $7,000 that includes delivery and handling to your address because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell it before February 27th when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team, back to Afghanistan for a year.

Alison Rosen

P.S.: I have made a photo bucket album: http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/LA...?sort=3&page=1
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:36 PM

I reply

Ok I understand but the lovely car is listed at $4,300 on carsforsale.com I know it's a great vehicle and I'm a serious buyer really would love to take care of that beautiful vehicle. The most I can come up with in this window of opportunity is $5,000. Can we make a deal?

Last edited by IKONIK; January 31st, 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:38 PM

And they just go keep it the same

The car is at our Military Logistic Department in Fort Lewis, WA Army base. Since the car is in a military base with no access you can’t go there and take it only the Logistic Department can deliver it because the car is in their custody. They will deliver it to your home .

Because I can't do this transaction personally I have setup this sale with Amazon Payments so this deal must go through them. They will keep your money into a non-interest bearing trust account, so that you can see the vehicle before committing to buy and to eliminate any problems you have 5 days to inspect. The five days starting from the time you receive the vehicle. If you decide not to keep Amazon Payments will refund your money and shipping back will be my concern. But I assure you won't be the case.

Please let me know if you are still interested.
Thank you,
Alison
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:39 PM

Then they say

I accept your offer of $5000. Alison
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:41 PM

I wonder if she'd take Monopoly money? She'd still be getting the best of the deal.
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:41 PM

I go on and say

Ok how do we finish this transaction?
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:42 PM

Like they stated before

If you want to buy it please email me your full name and address for delivery so I can initiate the transaction through Amazon Payments. After that they will contact you with all necessary information about this transaction(terms, buyer protection, payment instructions, invoice, etc.).

Thank you,
Alison
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:44 PM

So I said

Oh I can't go on amazon and buy it through PayPal

(I'm awaiting a reply now)