General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Is there really a market for this?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Is there really a market for this?

A "sport coupe conversion kit"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1967-OL...lXK~sM&vxp=mtr
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:08 AM

Either you have a real rusty car, or you love welding.....or possibly both.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:06 PM

Did they ever make a W-30 post? Excuse me for not having a clue about why someone would ever do this.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by m371961
Did they ever make a W-30 post?
Of course they did. And you can't even think about trying to make a "rare" sport coupe clone, because the VINs are different.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM

People don't know and do buy without reading a VIN, and VINs are switched to make rare cars. I just don't know Olds enough to know if it is worth faking it into something it ain't.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Certainly today sellers are pushing the rarity of post coupes. What amazes me after growing up in the 1960s is that post coupes are rare because they were undesirable loss leaders when they were new. Hardtops were MUCH more popular, which is why ten times as many were sold. Yeah, post coupes are lighter, but that number is roughly 100 lbs or so - not the dramatic difference most people think. Changing to aluminum wheels and intake gets you the same thing.

Of course, in today's over-hyped market, sellers will try anything to pump up the value of a sale, thus the newfound interest in "rare" post coupes. I know some people love them. I'm just not one of those.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:51 PM

I was never a post fan either. But hi-po posts by other makers (I think) were more rare. More rare and a market to make one to sell to a public that doesn't care or know if it is real? I frankly don't know. (not smart enough ) Maybe make a "factory special order one of one?"
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Olds Fever

From a restoration standpoint, I can't see why anyone would choose to go that route with all the cutting, welding, & fitting, unless of course you already owned a coupe that needed that type major repair... My current 67 W30 is a post coupe...
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:29 PM

"Here is everything you need to convert your hardtop to a post coupe

will fit 1966 1967 olds cutlass 442 f-85

also included is the glass vent windows and window regulators TINTED GLASS,

Doors are rust free and 1 door has a dent I will charge actual cost of shipping and palleting but it will be listed as pick up only

WELL WORTH THE PRICE when you add up everything separately 2 quarter glass 2 vent windows 2 window regulators 2 door glass 2 vent window glass and 2 solid doors

NOTE: I cut the roof jamb along the top of the door because it is thicker than a regular hardtop jamb , very necessary for this conversion

This biggest challenge to this project would be to cut just what you need from these parts I overcut because it was quicker for me to do so"
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:11 PM

Zero bids, so apparently no market, thank god.
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Administrator

I thought the same thing when they marketed "Pet Rocks", so who knows what fads will catch on or not.
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I thought the same thing when they marketed "Pet Rocks", so who knows what fads will catch on or not.
I actually bought one as a gag gift for a friend. The thing you were paying for wasn't the rock, it was the care and feeding manual that came with it. It was HILARIOUS.
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:41 AM

post coupes make me throw up in my mouth. not really into that whole "poverty" look. Oldsmobiles are supposed to have class, style, options..... not be like a dirt cheap POS chevy.
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think this has to be one of the dumbest ads I have seen on ebay. I will give the guy credit for thinking this up but did he really think people are this stupid. Thankfully they are not.
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think this has to be one of the dumbest ads I have seen on ebay. I will give the guy credit for thinking this up but did he really think people are this stupid. Thankfully they are not.
My gut feeling is that these were the only parts he could salvage from an otherwise very rusty Sport Coupe shell...
Old May 21st, 2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 88 Cutty Classic
post coupes make me throw up in my mouth. not really into that whole "poverty" look. Oldsmobiles are supposed to have class, style, options..... not be like a dirt cheap POS chevy.
To each his own, how boring life would be if we all drove identical cars.

I like the look of both styles.

I happen to think that just about any Olds looks Tuff with a 'B' Pillar and enjoy the Vent Windows as well on the 70-72s. Many OLDs race cars from back in the day featured "B" Pillars when available.
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Since you did not actually grow up with these cars during their heyday, I can understand your issue. With limited exceptions, my personal car appreciation stopped in 73 and feel the same way about most things newer. I'm also not into the options and believe if they don't make the car faster they aren't needed. I'm thankful for the many car brands and body styles to enjoy and appreciate from 73 back.

Originally Posted by Stefano
To each his own, how boring life would be if we all drove identical cars.

I like the look of both styles.

I happen to think that just about any Olds looks Tuff with a 'B' Pillar and enjoy the Vent Windows as well on the 70-72s. Many OLDs race cars from back in the day featured "B" Pillars when available.
I'll add most any brand small to midsized American car with B'pillars, vent windows, and a V8.
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:30 AM

Who would have thought such a thing could be marketed?

My Dad is a hardtop fan, and says the guys with post cars were ridiculed back in his youth:-)

I love post cars, recently sold my Chevelle SS396 to get a B Pillar:-) What I got with the B-Pillar is a W31 :-)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and feel free to pass by my car at a cruise night someday to checkout the hundreds of hard tops :-)

Within the post car lovers club of North America (made that up) I have my own opinion that others don't like, B90 trim makes me happy!!

Great topic!!!

Can't wait till someone gets offended and adds uber drama:-)

Ryan
Old May 21st, 2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan 1969 Chevelle SS396
Who would have thought such a thing could be marketed?

My Dad is a hardtop fan, and says the guys with post cars were ridiculed back in his youth:-)

I love post cars, recently sold my Chevelle SS396 to get a B Pillar:-) What I got with the B-Pillar is a W31 :-)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and feel free to pass by my car at a cruise night someday to checkout the hundreds of hard tops :-)

Within the post car lovers club of North America (made that up) I have my own opinion that others don't like, B90 trim makes me happy!!

Great topic!!!

Can't wait till someone gets offended and adds uber drama:-)

Ryan
X2, I have one
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:26 PM
Administrator

It wasn't the post that brought the wrath of ridicule when I was a kid, it was the 6 cyl with 3 on the tree. There were plenty of post cars out there when I was a kid and they were sweet. From sleepers with poverty caps to full on day 2 street cars.
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:24 PM
344879M363895

It wasn't the post that brought the wrath of ridicule when I was a kid, it was the 6 cyl with 3 on the tree. There were plenty of post cars out there when I was a kid and they were sweet. From sleepers with poverty caps to full on day 2 street cars.
What about the basically powerless 8 cylinder with four doors? How low was that on the desirability list? Or should I just cruise the nursing home with this bad boy?
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:39 PM
Administrator

More door ranked up there just below the 6cyl/3 on the tree cars. My dad tried to surprise me with a more door as a kid. I wouldn't drive it. I went out and bought my own car instead.
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:43 PM
344879M363895

More door ranked up there just below the 6cyl/3 on the tree cars. My dad tried to surprise me with a more door as a kid. I wouldn't drive it. I went out and bought my own car instead.
I ordered the perfect license plate for it the other day. "SLOW"
Old May 21st, 2016, 03:36 PM
Olds Fever

To each his own... I have a post coupe and haven't thrown up in my mouth yet... Must be an age thing... Also, I don't quite get the "poverty look" issue...

This isn't mine, but sure is an excellent look of "poverty" at it's best...

Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:34 AM

i mean i didnt mean to offend everyone who has a post coupe but i was raised by someone who lived in the golden era of muscle cars too. Just like you guys may have your extreme admiration for them i have a deep distain for the look. That doesnt mean i think less of the owner. Im glad my Stage 1 isnt a post. Nothing better than rolling all the windows down taking a cruise.

i'm speaking mostly about the 68-72 A-bodys. It just looks unnatural to me.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:28 AM

i mean i didnt mean to offend everyone who has a post coupe but i was raised by someone who lived in the golden era of muscle cars too. Just like you guys may have your extreme admiration for them i have a deep distain for the look. That doesnt mean i think less of the owner. Im glad my Stage 1 isnt a post. Nothing better than rolling all the windows down taking a cruise.

i'm speaking mostly about the 68-72 A-bodys. It just looks unnatural to me.
:-) Your comment didn't offend me, but it did make me vomit in my mouth a little:-) (please accept the smiley faces as an international symbol for humour)

Everyone has their opinion, makes the world go round:-)

Ryan
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Ryan 1969 Chevelle SS396
:-) Your comment didn't offend me, but it did make me vomit in my mouth a little:-)
And YOU just made coffee come out my nose!
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:48 AM

I also am not a huge fan of the poverty look. I did grow up with the parking lot at my high school full of muscle cars. It was the mid 70's and they were cheap. Most people were buying the new fuel efficient cars and discarding the gas guzzling muscle cars. I bought a 67 442 4 speed car as my first car and yes it was a hardtop, for $450 it had just over 65,000 miles on it. Not long after bought another one for $400. You could get most muscle cars back then for $400-$1000 depending on miles and condition. no body and I mean no body ran poverty caps with painted wheels. We all had some kind of after market wheel. Be it chrome wheels, Cragars, US slots, Keystone Klassics, Appliance 5 spokes, or a little later in the 70's the turbine mags. I took off rally 1 wheels off a 72 442 for a new set of Chrome Coke bottle mags and was so excited when I got them with new T/A radials on them.

I have considered cutting a door opening out like this but with a full quarter and make a body side wall hanging. That is the only use for this I see.

Larry
Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
no body and I mean no body ran poverty caps with painted wheels.
exactly... just like every C2 corvette you see now go down the auction block has the knock off wheels, hardly any of them came with them. they all mostly had rally wheels. My dad even went to the Plymouth Dealership back in the day and bought the factory 15 inch mopar rallys so he didnt have to run the 14s. steel wheels with small hubcaps was embarassing in those days. he swapped those wheels from car to car as he got different ones. He still has those wheels. He dont even have a set a steel wheels for his 440 Six Barrel 69 Road Runner. he runs 15 x 8 magnum 500s.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

exactly... just like every C2 corvette you see now go down the auction block has the knock off wheels,
Don't get me started about W-36 stripes...
Old May 22nd, 2016, 05:52 PM

I always wondered if all hard tops also came in a convertible since so many parts worked on both. That is if you removed the b pillar it would require a lot of redesigning. But if you already make a convertible not as much.
Railguy
Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, post coupes are lighter, but that number is roughly 100 lbs or so - not the dramatic difference most people think. Changing to aluminum wheels and intake gets you the same thing.
I thought it was interesting that the shipping specs for the '68 H/O only list a 10 lb difference between the holiday coupe and sport coupe. Would be interesting to weigh a bare body shell of each body style and see the difference... weighing complete cars is futile, as most have been modified or restored. Has anybody else found any actual data on this?
Old June 13th, 2019, 03:31 PM

mine came factory.