General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Taking off the Grilles

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Taking off the Grilles

Guys, I am trying to take off the Grilles so that I can have them painted. There were four bolts across the top that I took off and two behind the grille. I figured this would do the trick, but it's still bolted on some how. I need directions on how to take off the grille of a 71 Cutlass Supreme. Thx.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Captain of my ship

Question Stone shields?

Not sure about the 71 cutlass but on my 69-98 I had to unbolt the stoneshields from the grills.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Attach points - Grille

Originally Posted by Southern_Hospitality
Guys, I am trying to take off the Grilles so that I can have them painted. There were four bolts across the top that I took off and two behind the grille. I figured this would do the trick, but it's still bolted on some how. I need directions on how to take off the grille of a 71 Cutlass Supreme. Thx.
They are very much like the 72 grilles, except they're metal instead of plastic. You got the 4 screws on the top, that's a start. If you get under the car with a flashlight, you should be able to see that the grills attach to tabs onto the stone shield. So that means that you're going to have to take the stone shield (middle plastic part that holds the grills) off so you can unbolt ALL the bolts that hold it in place. Take your time and don't bust anything. I scanned this pic from the 72 assembly manual. If it doesn't come through clear enough, send me a PM with your home email and I will send a larger pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Front grill attach points.jpg (42.0 KB, 22 views)