General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

TAILGATERS! How do we deal with them?

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Registered Thread Killer

TAILGATERS! How do we deal with them?

We all have neat cars here. So why would some one want to ride your a** when your bumping the limit.

I don't think I handle it very well myself. I tend to slow down until they back off but we know this doesn't allways work. Pulling over is option 2. Option 3 is fun but you have to eventually slow down. If they want to race, and its not Aunt Edna's Buick, then ok. but C'mon Man, and get off the Cell Phone too!
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Some want to get a close up of your car, which is okay unless you need to brake hard in an emergency.
I have known many to do it without thinking and for no reason. I am paranoid when I ride with those who do that. Just bad habit I guess.
The rest who do it are usually a-holes who do it purposely.

I try to ignore it as it is so commonplace around here. Nothing less of a rear mounted shotgun or rocket launcher is too effective of ridding them...
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:18 AM
NOVICE car nut

usually I start by giving them the evil look in the rear view mirror ... if that dont work , then I slow down so they get in the other lane to go around me , and then I speed up.... actually truthfully , I try to avoid doing any of that and ignore them as much as I can , but does not always work..... I see alot of real bad drivers in comparison to 20 years ago it seems.
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Some want to get a close up of your car, which is okay unless you need to brake hard in an emergency.
I have known many to do it without thinking and for no reason. I am paranoid when I ride with those who do that. Just bad habit I guess.
The rest who do it are usually a-holes who do it purposely.

I try to ignore it as it is so commonplace around here. Nothing less of a rear mounted shotgun or rocket launcher is too effective of ridding them...
dont forget the drum filled with bleach or oil in the trunk , that at the push of a button can be released onto the ground , so the guy behind you careens out of control
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Cutlass Lover

I hate people who get right up on my bumper when I'm out in Teepo!! I tend to take it easy when I'm on the bumpy friggin roads around here, and I always crawl over RR tracks, lol. They just don't understand (or care) that these are old cars that something could break on at anytime, the steering, the brakes, it's totally different than the newer vehicles. Especially the young kids of the SUV generation! I do a lot of glaring in my rearview and side mirrors. I'd like to stop and ask them WTH their problem is!
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I live in what they call a "No-Fault State." This, put simply, means EVERYTHING is YOUR fault, as--regardless of the circumstances--YOUR insurance MUST pay to fix YOUR car, less a $500 "deductible" the offending driver's insurance has to kick in.

Add to this the fact that collision coverage--$500 deductible or no--costs more per year than most cars (let alone a 22-year-old Olds), so no matter how well or carefully you drive, ANYONE in ANYTHING can demolish your car, give you $500, and walk away.

I grew up in California where you WANTED someone to DARE to hit you, because the nature of the law there punished the BAD driver, not YOU.

[Of course, it's not like I spend any time in the fast lane. Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant. I just REALLY miss being in a state with reasonable insurance laws... ]
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM

I just go really slow, tailgaters are usually impatient enough to go around me. In Houston at least.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Registered Thread Killer

I live on the border of the UP and Wisconsin and try to stay out of michigan for just that reason.

Now Wisconsin stands on the verge of becoming the 49th state in the country to allow citizens to carry concealed guns, after the state Assembly voted to legalize that practice.(they pretty much carry them anyways)

I wonder how that may affect tailgating, as well as other irritants (IE; reckless drivers, sportbike hooligans, lane blockers...etc)
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:24 AM

I hate tailgaters the most, and I am not so nice in response (only if they give the look or say something though).

It happens quite a bit going over RR tracks. Even in the newer car I have now, I have to slow right down to a crawl (b/c it is lowered w/ Eibach Sportline coil springs) otherwise it is extreme pogo stick time.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by mfgusa
We all have neat cars here. So why would some one want to ride your a** when your bumping the limit.

I don't think I handle it very well myself. I tend to slow down until they back off but we know this doesn't allways work. Pulling over is option 2. Option 3 is fun but you have to eventually slow down. If they want to race, and its not Aunt Edna's Buick, then ok. but C'mon Man, and get off the Cell Phone too!
Most states and Canadian Provinces have 'distracted driving' laws in effect or coming into effect which makes it illegal to use cell phones, etc while driving. Of course the problem is that it's ridiculously hard to enforce. Still you could take down their license, car id, location and time then phone it into your local enforcement when it's safe to do that. I hear your pain about idiots who think they know how to drive. You have to know your triggers and have effective coping skills to avoid 'losing it' while driving.

I guess the best solution would be never to drive, but that's not practical. Just drive defensively - for yourself, your loved ones, and the idiot who's tailgating you. Above all else DONT lose your cool. Soon as you do that you become just another one of the idiots out there playing an often dangerous and deadly 'game'.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Some want to get a close up of your car, which is okay unless you need to brake hard in an emergency............
If they won't get off your tail, open up a LOT of room in front of you and MAINTAIN it so if you have a good sightline in front. That minimizes the need for panic braking.

One problem I've run into is the idiot who wants to 'draft' the back of the car to get better fuel economy. They don't stick around long if you keep slowing down. Problem with slowing down a lot is that other drivers get 'road rage' and may vent it on you. In some places you can actually be pulled over and ticketed for driving too slow and creating traffic backlogs.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM

I think I am going to add 0% tint to my rear windows... that might help me out I have a rear cam for backing up anyway.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldzy
I think I am going to add 0% tint to my rear windows... that might help me out I have a rear cam for backing up anyway.
Can you do that in ONT? Not legal out here in AB.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Sure... for the back window that is. Sides have to be 'visible' to an officer (which is at their discretion), but typically that means 35% for the side drivers/pass. doors. I also have a 5% front window brow which greatly helps with the sunlight.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Do you remember back in the 80s, there were the little men attached to a squeeze bulb that when you squeeze it, he pulls his pants down and he moons you?

What happened to those? I think they were meant for this as they sold them in the auto parts stores when I was a kid.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
dont forget the drum filled with bleach or oil in the trunk , that at the push of a button can be released onto the ground , so the guy behind you careens out of control

I like the Raygun thats sends idiots back to where the started!! If we all had one, some of those people would never make it to where ever they are going!!!!
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Before cell phones and intersection cameras, very few people used to do it.

Now that everyone has a camera phone that dials the police in their hand, you can't beat the crap out of them and take their wallet like the good ol' days.
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM

this is my favorite solution for tailgaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqJVGaYArk
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
this is my favorite solution for tailgaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqJVGaYArk
Good one!
Old August 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM

On my recent long haul trip I had a few riding my a@* so I put on my parking lights as if to denote hitting my brakes..it worked a few times. RR crossings were a real pain, especially when they cross on a county hiway...a real scare for the person behind me when I slow down to a crawl.
The best was someone who went on to pass me and I punched it!! he was so blown away that my 394 had that much pep
Old August 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM

I also use the taillights trick. Went to a party and had to drive down a gravel road for about 1/2 mile. No one on it except this pick up coming at me at about 60 mph, rocks flying everywhere! I fugured even if I stopped I was going to get a hail of stones.

So I decided to take a bullet for my baby if I had to. I put my lights on (it was still light outside) and crossed over to his side of the road. He starting flashing his lights but I kept coming (at idle speed). He slowed down and was about 50 feet from me when I crossed back into my lane. He looked at me like I was crazy but passed me at about 5 mph. Once past, he took off again and about 30 seconds later I was off the road. Not a tailgater, but another way to control another driver.
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM

Lead follow or get the hell out of the way . The left lane is for passing otherwise move over and white knuckle in the slow lane ladies . The two second following rule is not very much space they may have more room than
you think. They may either want to get a closer look or your slow.
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:27 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I apply enough pressure on the brake pedal to activate the brake lights,they usually back off.
If the person dosen't back off and wants to keep riding my tail I just pull over and let them pass. Anytime I drive my Olds,I am in no hurry...just joy riding anyway.
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:16 AM

If someone is tailgating you, you're probably going to slow! If you're going anything less than 10 - 15 over the speed limit, you are a rolling road block. Step on it, or get out of the way.
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:46 AM
My co-pilot for 30 years

Been trying to respond for a day or 2. This retail gig is hell on my surfing quality.
The thing here in Nebraska is that you are usually the person behind the other. We are definitely a challenged set of drivers here...beware if ever passing through. The key is patience, you are already in your sweet ride so concentrate on that and/or the day you bought it..etc. I could start a thread involving left lane etiquette/courtesy but that is a horse of another color. Defuse the situation, I used to be the hot head and would let it escalate to monumental heights. Relax, enjoy the ride.
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:58 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Now Wisconsin stands on the verge of becoming the 49th state in the country to allow citizens to carry concealed guns, after the state Assembly voted to legalize that practice.(they pretty much carry them anyways)

I wonder how that may affect tailgating, as well as other irritants (IE; reckless drivers, sportbike hooligans, lane blockers...etc)
It wont. I live in Arizona where open carry has always been legal. You needed a permit to carry concealed, but since the "Constitutional Carry" law passed you don't need one to carry concealed anymore. I have a permit from before the law change and must say that the class contains some very interesting information regarding the state laws. People should take it just to educate themselves of the law. Anyway... straying off topic here, but the point is people still behave like a**holes. There is no solution.

Originally Posted by Joel
If someone is tailgating you, you're probably going to slow! If you're going anything less than 10 - 15 over the speed limit, you are a rolling road block. Step on it, or get out of the way.
You're joking, right? I don't know where you live but with the amount of law enforcement in this state that would be extremely stupid. I push between 5 - 10mph over here, but no more than that except in short bursts here and there (when driving the Olds ).

Last edited by AZ455; August 30th, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Registered Thread Killer

Yeah, I'm no putt a**, but I do try to perform some type of driver etiquette. One that would best represent our small numbers. Besides, everybody around here knows who I am in my Cutlass.

Cruising in light traffic where the other drivers have options should not require a heightened awareness that rush hour would. Seeing that long line of cars in front of you is no reason to lock bumpers with the one immediately ahead of you. He's not going anywhere fast either.

Then again, if the options are few, then its time to go with the flow.

Even many semi drivers appear to have lost that professionalism that I use to expected from them in the past.

Do we have a tailgater in our midst?
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:41 AM

saw a bumper sticker the other day

" if your gonna ride my *** at least pull my hair!"

2 young girls in the car.
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:17 AM
NOVICE car nut

I live on the border of the UP and Wisconsin and try to stay out of michigan for just that reason.

I better get my handgun shinned up
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
delete

Best bet is to avoid the issue. if you car is geared up & you only want to go 55 or 60 accept the fact that the de facto speed limit is higher than that and stay in the right hand lane.
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:44 AM
72 Olds CS

when someone tail gates me for no apparent reason (ie im already going the speed limit in an area known to be frequented by speedtraps or typically driving faster than the SL) I just slow slightly on downhills and speed up slightly up hills and usually when they catch up to me again Ill let off the gas (no brake work) I try to run a rhythym as they accelerate I slightly decel and when they decel I accel...I never give any indication that they are too close or bothering me. typically if its a cellphone jocky they quickly tire of that, if its a physics challenged meathead they just dont get it anyways

Im only talking about a single travel lane if Im on a highway Im in the correct lane for my speed

if Im going slower than normal for a reason I pull over to let them pass if its safe to do so
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
I also use the taillights trick. Went to a party and had to drive down a gravel road for about 1/2 mile. No one on it except this pick up coming at me at about 60 mph, rocks flying everywhere! I fugured even if I stopped I was going to get a hail of stones.

So I decided to take a bullet for my baby if I had to. I put my lights on (it was still light outside) and crossed over to his side of the road. He starting flashing his lights but I kept coming (at idle speed). He slowed down and was about 50 feet from me when I crossed back into my lane. He looked at me like I was crazy but passed me at about 5 mph. Once past, he took off again and about 30 seconds later I was off the road. Not a tailgater, but another way to control another driver.
Alberta drivers are some of the worst in Canada WE don't use laws, we just use ingenuity. Quick thinking there Ken. Next time I'm flyin down a gravel road in my pickup I'll be watching for ya ..... Insurance is cheaper for us old guys doin a beer run!!!
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM

For those of you who like to tap your brakes to "punish" tailgaters, please don't actually slow down and risk getting hit. If you play games like that the cop is as likely to ticket you (for obstruction or careless driving) as the guy behind you. I don't think a cop is going to be too sympathetic to you when you say, "He was following too close, so I thought I'd teach him a lesson." Besides, you don't want to mess up your car.

Regardless of whether you actually slow down or just scare him with the tail lights, please consider this:
You have no control over how the guy behind you will react. He might panic and cause an accident, taking out a perfectly innocent bystander. Do NOT do a "brake check" if there are any other cars behind him, alongside of him, or in the oncoming lanes.
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by BlackGold
................Regardless of whether you actually slow down or just scare him with the tail lights, please consider this:
You have no control over how the guy behind you will react. He might panic and cause an accident, taking out a perfectly innocent bystander. Do NOT do a "brake check" if there are any other cars behind him, alongside of him, or in the oncoming lanes.
That is an excellent point. In the big picture we all want to stay safe. Only thing we can control is ourselves.
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM

when tailgated i aim for the holes in the road then at the last moment i steer gently around it,the tailgater don't see the hole and drops into it.there was one big hole on the route to work,i was tailgated, i thought his head light were going to fall out when he hit that hole at 80 kph.
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
For those of you who like to tap your brakes to "punish" tailgaters, please don't actually slow down and risk getting hit. If you play games like that the cop is as likely to ticket you (for obstruction or careless driving) as the guy behind you. I don't think a cop is going to be too sympathetic to you when you say, "He was following too close, so I thought I'd teach him a lesson." Besides, you don't want to mess up your car.

Regardless of whether you actually slow down or just scare him with the tail lights, please consider this:
very good points the other thing is that you dont know what is going on in his or her life at that moment It seems when I get pinched or cut off Im then the next one to doo it my lack of attention or blind spot is bigger than I remember .

Last edited by firefrost gold; August 30th, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Registered Thread Killer

It is for certain however that one tailgater can sure ruin an otherwise awesome cruise.
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:34 PM

I don't know anyone besides my wife and elderly people who drive the actual posted speed limit.
Chicago area traffic we all do 5-10mph over on regular roads, 10-20mph over on the highway.

As for people who ride my ***, I just hit the brakes.
If they want to hit my car, they will be paying for it.
If it's an illegal with no insurance, they are going in the trunk.
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
If it's an illegal with no insurance, they are going in the trunk.
What's left of it at that point.

About 12 years ago I was on my way home from work driving a 1988 Nissan 200SX and this guy in a Mustang GT was behind be on his phone not paying attention to the world at all. We got caught at a light and I was in front. I figured this was my chance to get away from this guy because he was paying soo much attention to his phone. Well the light went green and I got on it a bit (much more than normal) and he just hung about ½ a car length off my rear. I tapped my lights 3 times and he just stayed there. (I know, I know....what is coming up I shouldn't have done, but I did.) So at this point my hot headedness has taken over and I got on the brakes. All I see in the rear view mirror is the cell phone go FLYING across the car and he swerved all over the place to avoid hitting me.
Now I wouldn't do that today, but back then.....well.....he deserved it.

Another thing is the people out here have NO CONCEPT of driving etiquette. Let someone merge in....IN FRONT OF ME?!!?!?!? GOD FORBID!!!

And this isn't Europe people. When I'm doing 75 in the left lane in a 65 zone, don't expect me to move over just because you flash your high beams at me.
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Registered Thread Killer

I've logged a few K in Germany and that is precisley why the left lane must remain clear. I overtook a smv comming back from Amsterdam on a slow left sweeping turn. Probably doing 120. Took my sweet *** time getting over and nearly killed a guy on a sportbike comming up behind me!

Needless to say I learned some german phonetics that day.
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:45 AM

I look at it this way: This guy tailgating me wants me to do something for him. He wants me to speed up or something. He is "bullying" me. I don't take kindly to that. He's not my f-in boss. So I set the cruise control, sit back, find a good song, take a sip of my drink, and smile and nod as he finally gets pissed and passes me, letting him know, that I didn't fold. That he can't affect me. He's a nobody.

Quick Reply: TAILGATERS! How do we deal with them?