General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tail/Front Turn Lights

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2014, 03:00 AM

Tail/Front Turn Lights

I need t remove the wires from the tail and front turn lights to clean/replace them. I have seen the threads here by TripDeuces, RetroRanger, and Greg Rogers. I have tried using WD40 in the sockets but they are not sliding out of the housings. Are the sleeves covering the wires pushed in the sockets? How are they removed? Is there something else I need to do the release the wires from the housings? I have broken one of the plastic blub contacts and don't want to destroy anymore trying to get them out.
Old November 10th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Freddy B
I need t remove the wires from the tail and front turn lights to clean/replace them. I have seen the threads here by TripDeuces, RetroRanger, and Greg Rogers. I have tried using WD40 in the sockets but they are not sliding out of the housings. Are the sleeves covering the wires pushed in the sockets? How are they removed? Is there something else I need to do the release the wires from the housings? I have broken one of the plastic blub contacts and don't want to destroy anymore trying to get them out.
What year/model? In many cases the sockets are swaged into the housings and are not removable.
Old November 10th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Hey Joe the car is a 71 cutlass. I am trying to remove the wires from the socket to clean the springs. I also need to replace the wires for one of the lights because it was missing from the housing. I figured out that I couldn't remove the whole socket after I broke the contacts inside. Thanks for the reply
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:29 AM

I don't think you can remove the wires without cutting them. to get the springs out on the front housings, there is a swage indentation in the sides of the copper socket. Not sure if it is possible to rotate the plastic flat piece that carries the contacts enough to get them free. The back ones on my 72 cutlass came out real fast when I cut the wires! springs and parts everywhere!