General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Sway Bar Bracket Bolt Pulled Out-Ideas Wanted

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Sway Bar Bracket Bolt Pulled Out-Ideas Wanted

Had a sway bar bracket bolt pull out of the frame yesterday @ the track, actually it probably pulled out driving there & I didn't realize it.. Threads catch but won't hold bolt tight. and it pulls out about 1 thread each time it gets stressed cornering. In the past I have corrected this by simply putting a nut inside the rail & tightening the bolt - on the right side. My rear bolt on the driver side is where the problem lies, the complication is access because of the tubes that reinforce the frame for the steering box mounting bolts. I have a big Hotchkiss bar on there so I can only guess it puts additional stress on a very small thread engagement area.

I figure this can't be rare so I'm hoping you can offer some ideas on best way to go about fixing it. I have 3-4 ideas but not overly impressed w/ any of them.
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bccan
...I have a big Hotchkiss bar on there ...
Ding! Ding! Ding!

The better large sway bar kits include nut-serts for the frame holes exactly for this reason.
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:25 PM

This one had no inserts mentioned or supplied IIRC. I thought of installing a thread insert, just didn't want to enlarge the hole in the frame, at least not as a first line of repair. It is definitely the quickest, easiest way out if I can find one w/ a decent shoulder & decent purchase on the expanded area. I have lotsa metric ones that are configured nicely but don't recall seeing similar style SAE. Probably are out there, I just haven't searched them out yet. Still hoping for a magic bullet I haven't thought of.

One complication to this is the size of the bracket does not allow use of a hex bolt (or nut) due to lack of side clearance. IIRC kit didn't even use washers under allen head bolts & had to grind a large flat into washers to fit them. I am big on washers & lube w/ nearly all fasteners, not so much in my personal life, though.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Problem fixed w/ 10mm bolt - in between 3/8 & 7/16. More discussion below just in case other people run into this & seek guidance.

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71479