General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Survivor status

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM

Survivor status

I don't know if its been brought up before but what constitutes survivor status? This is a term I had never heard of until recently and some of the cars I see it attached to are one step above the junk yard. Is it a title you want to label your car with?

I have a 1940 oldsmobile Series 60, everything is still original except the paint job which was redone in early 70's at that point they leaded a few holes in the trunk, the first owner also put in a heater assembly from another 1940's (Haven't pinned it down yet) Oldsmobile. Would this be considered a survivor?

On the same note...the front end needs some serious work to tighten the steering up. If I replace essential components does that still qualify for survivor status?

The engine has two bolts broken off in it that I would also like to get drilled out and maybe clean the engine up while I am in there. The engine has a blue/green paint on it, but I am not certain if that is the original motor paint color.(but I think it is)

If it is still a survivor, how far can I go before I loose that status?
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kattosha
I don't know if its been brought up before but what constitutes survivor status? This is a term I had never heard of until recently and some of the cars I see it attached to are one step above the junk yard. Is it a title you want to label your car with?

I have a 1940 oldsmobile Series 60, everything is still original except the paint job which was redone in early 70's at that point they leaded a few holes in the trunk, the first owner also put in a heater assembly from another 1940's (Haven't pinned it down yet) Oldsmobile. Would this be considered a survivor?

On the same note...the front end needs some serious work to tighten the steering up. If I replace essential components does that still qualify for survivor status?

The engine has two bolts broken off in it that I would also like to get drilled out and maybe clean the engine up while I am in there. The engine has a blue/green paint on it, but I am not certain if that is the original motor paint color.(but I think it is)

If it is still a survivor, how far can I go before I loose that status?
From everything that I have read about "survivors", they usually have all the original parts and have not been repainted, however, small paint repair is OK if it isn't very noticeable. They ask you to point out what has been repaired, and then make the determination. Once you start doing a lot of cosmetic work beyond cleaning, it is no longer a survivor. This site might give you a better prospective than what I have outlined. http://www.survivorcollectorcar.com/
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:25 AM

I think what junkman says is right.

I've always assumed "survivor" = "original unrestored." So a survivor could be anything from a nearly junkyard-quality parts car to a pristine beauty, so long as the only things that have been done have been routine maintenance (oil and other fluid changes) and replacing wear parts (brake shoes, belts, hoses, tires, etc. as needed over time).

I think that if your car has been repainted, it doesn't fall into this category any more. Not that there is any kind of regulatory organization that decides these things or maintains a strict definition of the terms. I just think that the general opinion on it would be that it's no longer a survivor.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think what junkman says is right.

I've always assumed "survivor" = "original unrestored." So a survivor could be anything from a nearly junkyard-quality parts car to a pristine beauty, so long as the only things that have been done have been routine maintenance (oil and other fluid changes) and replacing wear parts (brake shoes, belts, hoses, tires, etc. as needed over time).

I think that if your car has been repainted, it doesn't fall into this category any more. Not that there is any kind of regulatory organization that decides these things or maintains a strict definition of the terms. I just think that the general opinion on it would be that it's no longer a survivor.
I am in agreement here. No repairs for cosmetic improvements. I think repainting of small areas is okay for the past repair of collision damage. As for repainting the whole car, it would not be a survivor. The condition it is in would be a result of it's care over the years.

Personally I find these to be more interesting than the show cars. I get to see exactly the way they came off the assy line and can almost feel transported back in time... Those in very good condition captivate me.

My old Ford is a good example of a survivor. Nothing was replaced out of cosmetics - except for some collision damage back in the early 80's. Being a daily driver with 156k miles, it still looks presentable. I need to show that thing some time...

My '86 would fall under that catagory as well. I bet she would do well in a show!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the link. That answered all of my questions. In the current state is would qualify for Survivor status, however if the front end requires as much work as I think it does, then I will loose any chance at that status. However as the show is almost in my backyard, I think I am goign to try and sign her up next year to see what she does.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:49 AM

From what I have been told, you are not penalized for doing safety related repairs, such as front suspension, brakes, tune ups, tire changes, or other functional items replacements, such as a burned out window motor. The primary concern is to keep original cars unrestored, and safely on the road.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Certifiable car addict...

The way I've always looked at it, is that "wear items" such as tires, brakes, bushings, bearings, ball-joints, tie-rod ends, etc are all commonly replaced parts and do not detract from that type of status.

Like others have said. Repaint, interior reconditioning, etc would be where I would draw the line as well. As close to new/original as possible, and still remains safe.

Or it could be a garage stored/barn find car that was exceptionally clean, straight, and non rusty, even if it didn't currently run.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM

-

just consider the term "survivor." It means the car has survived the decades and has the same paint, parts, etc as it did when built....obviously except for regular maintenance things (battery, wipers, tires) and minor repairs.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Certifiable car addict...

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
just consider the term "survivor." It means the car has survived the decades and has the same paint, parts, etc as it did when built....obviously except for regular maintenance things (battery, wipers, tires) and minor repairs.
X2
Much more concise than my post as well.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Oldsdruid

Kattosha, visit the AACA forums again and check out their HPOF (Historic Preservation of Features) class. I think that can explain what you need to know.

HPOF or unrestored to me means a presentable older car that may have a few fleabites appearance-wise, but is in good mechanical condition and can be operated and enjoyed.

I think front end work would come under safety and normal wear-and-tear items. I wouldn't hesitate to do that work.

Now, if you're talking that Bloomington Gold Corvette survivor class mess, they do things a lot different. At one time they were trying to trademark the term "Survivor". Don't know if they were successful- I would hope not. I do not intend to pay them a royalty every time I use the word.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Junkman
This site might give you a better prospective than what I have outlined. http://www.survivorcollectorcar.com/
Nice site... Looks like I have two survivors or more!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, its been a lot of help and hopefully I make good decisions regarding the maintenance and upkeep of my car without over restoring her. I crawled underneath after work and I definately need to do some front end work before something breaks. So that part will probably be modernized at least to a point. But overall she is still and will hopefully always be original.

From what I can tell Bloomington Gold has trademarked "Survivor" but that may only be because noone has bothered to challenge or fight it. I think their definition might be a little too tight (even though my car does seem to fit) but just as many peoples definitions may be a little too loose as well. I think I will just stick with Original as her label for now.

This will be an interesting journey for me, until now I have been a mechanic only because I buy cheap junkers that I needed to keep running. I have never done anything like tie rod ends but it is definately in the near future.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
My old Ford is a good example of a survivor. Nothing was replaced out of cosmetics - except for some collision damage back in the early 80's. Being a daily driver with 156k miles, it still looks presentable. I need to show that thing some time...
At least it wasn't rear-ended....
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Red Delta
At least it wasn't rear-ended....
On the contrary, it has. 3 times!
That was a carry over myth from the early 70's models.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Registered Abuser

On the contrary, it has. 3 times!
That was a carry over myth from the early 70's models.
I know. I was just making a poor attempt at humor.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Red Delta
I know. I was just making a poor attempt at humor.
Heard it way too many times.
At least it does not take off by itself full throttle on some sort of suicide mission...
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Registered Abuser

Heard it way too many times.
At least it does not take off by itself full throttle on some sort of suicide mission...
Well, I'm sure you would know enough about your vehicle, if, such an unlikely event should occur, you would be able to SHUT IT OFF!
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Rob - I heard you welded a 4 X 2 piece of diamond plate to the rear, that's how you survive! [haha]
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Rob - I heard you welded a 4 X 2 piece of diamond plate to the rear, that's how you survive! [haha]
That is about how the mid and late 70's bumpers are like... I am amazed at the abuse that those big extruded aluminum bumpers can endure. This was most of the fix of the initial problem. The earlier models practically had no bumpers...