General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stuck door.

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2015, 06:22 PM

Stuck door.

I have a passenger door that is stuck. I can't get it open. The linkage seems to move. The lock mechanism works. I can actually get my big hand into the door and pull on the rod attached to the latch mech, but no luck.

Any ideas or tricks on how to get this door open??
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Penetrating oil or similar in the lock mechanism from the inside - it's probably gummed up with hard grease, and the sear is pulling back, but the latch isn't releasing.

It's also possible that the spring is broken (a bigger PIA).

- Eric
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Or the door lock has a lot of pressure on it, you may try having some on the outside lift up on the door or push in while fiddling with it.
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:57 AM

As a last resort, hold the button in, and have someone lay on the seat and kick it. Only try this once. If it does not work on the first try, it won't work at all.
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:18 AM

Thanks for all the input.

The first thing I used was penetrating oil. No luck there.

I am going to try kicking the door. Then I guess I am going to remove the hinges, see if I can pull the door forward enough to cut the latch catch.

Wish me luck
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:05 AM

what year? if it has a striker bolt,it will have a head on it that will keep it from moving forward very far,maybe 14"loosen the hinges and try to move the door up while holding the button in
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
what year? if it has a striker bolt,it will have a head on it that will keep it from moving forward very far,maybe 14"loosen the hinges and try to move the door up while holding the button in
Yeah, Your right.
Let me try your idea and see what happens.
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:36 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Pull the door panel on the working side and get a look at how it releases. Then you'll know what to do on the other side. Finesse is the word. Brute force will/could damage something you dont want bent.
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Majored in rear tire demo

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
Yeah, Your right.
Let me try your idea and see what happens.

Why not? Following this track you could end up with the first 442 with suicide doors!
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2Olds4U
Why not? Following this track you could end up with the first 442 with suicide doors!
Yes, this is my concern.

I have already destroyed a door panel trying to get it off of a closed door.
I have oiled everything I can reach with penetrating oil.
And historically speaking, this scenario has never worked out well for me.
It's a tuff scenario to be in.
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:52 AM

Since you have already destroyed the door panel, I would just remove the front seat for easier access, pull off the rest of the door panel and take a look at the innards of the door to see what is stuck.
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:11 AM

I have taken a lot of doors apart so I am familiar with the inner workings of the door. I have been inside of the door. I was able to grab the rod attached to the latch release. I am not weak and I was able to move the rod what appears to be it's full movement to no avail. Right now I am trying to find a long rod that is both strong enough and thin enough to use as a push rod so that I can push the mech through a small opening in the top.
I've seen this twice before. Once on a mid seventies Corvette and once on a 69 Nova.
I am betting that in the end I will be required to cut the door to gain access to the striker which I will then cut. Here's hoping it won't come to that.

But I do appreciate everyone's input. It's opening my eyes to other concepts which I will try before taking a saw to the door.
Thanks
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:17 AM

JAWS OF LIFE is another option, Just kidding. Good luck
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:25 AM

I actually used the Jaws of Life on two occasions.
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:00 AM

I had a similar situation on a convertible Beetle that had been sitting for years. It took a lot of farting around but eventually it opened for me. Activating the rod and mechanism from inside the door wasn't doing a thing, neither was frustrated brute force.

I suspect it was the constant spraying of WD40 everywhere, including between the door and the body where the striker plate lives but it took time for the oil to get where it needed to be.

Good luck
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:05 AM

Tom,
I've had doors stuck like that before. You might try using a 90 degree prybar between the rear part of the door & front of the quarter while holding in the outside button. Sometimes even though almost everything moves like it should, the actual release mechanism around the striker is seized up. Might have to pull/push on it with some force but I don't know if you're trying to save the door &/or the front part of that quarter but it's worth a shot.
Old June 11th, 2015, 10:04 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Just another thought... if you want to minimize damage? Can you get a good line of sight at the strike pin from inside the car with both the front and rear panels removed? If so You could sacrifice the strike pin with a sawzall? That's a readily available reproduced part. I cant remember what the access looks like from the quarter window side. So not sure if one could get tools in the back side to do anything???
If it were me I do the soaking down thing with PB Blaster or Castles Thrust or Kroil in a spray bottle and then have a helper and you push back n forth to work the frozen catch. WD40 isnt a good penetrant. Im under the assumption this door is on the car in your avatar? Or is it on a car you don't really care about?
Old June 11th, 2015, 01:19 PM
jfb

if the door panel is shot go behind the door handle and move the lever in manually. sometimes the spring inside the door handle gets weak or corroded possibly and the thin rod will not work properly then give the door a good shove, The lever behind it does the actual work. do not destroy the door parts if expense is a consideration and your hand will be ripped up afterwards everbody has it happen a few times. by the way if this releases the door keep the rod from the door handle and replace the handle spring etc with the factory sized rod,the aftermarket kits if needed have a cut to length rod usually if possible get a oem one.
Old June 11th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

How about this one?

If you've got the clearance, would it be possible for you to clamp a small pair of Vise-Grips on the rod to hols it in the "Release" position, and then use an air hammer against the case of the latch mechanism, to try to vibrate it into a position where it will release?

- Eric
Old June 11th, 2015, 03:04 PM

15 years back I had finished the red Buick GS convertible 4spd and this happened to me. The driver door stuck half open. I worked quite a few days then gave up. I put the top down, removed the seats and console, removed the door panel. Got in there with all kinds of tools including drills and die grinders, I cut the latch apart to get it to release! on this year there is a piece of plastic/nylon below where the latch bolt slides into the latch, it had split and had everything jammed. What a pain that was.
Good luck with yours. I have gotten some open by lots of penetrating oil and a lot of playing with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
65 GS 25.jpg (34.9 KB, 21 views)
65 GS 8.jpg (37.8 KB, 18 views)
65 GS 10.jpg (53.2 KB, 20 views)