General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Strangers taking pics of my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:55 PM

Strangers taking pics of my car!!!

Well I drove my car to work today...beautiful day here in southern Alberta!!
While I was at work A lady from the office said there was a couple taking pics of my car.....I hope it was to admire the car!!!
However...I did leave a little quick at a stop sign after lunch......Dam this olds 455 power.....Hope the pics are not to report me......
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I always get people taking pics of my car at the local auto parts it's kinda nice. the only downside is you always get someone who wants to talk for an hour lol.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM

X2
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

People come into my yard to take pictures of my car.

It's kinda weird, but they're always friendly.

The vicious dog keeps them from getting too close
(wish I had a video of her running out her lead, getting pulled up short, and doing an involuntary back flip... I wonder whether there are chiropractors for dogs...).

- Eric
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM

hahaha!!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM

Scooter123: I think they took the pictures to pretend that it's their car for sale. You might want to park it in the garage for a couple of weeks!

BTW... I hired them!

Last edited by Jaybird; April 23rd, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM

It sits in the garage every night next to me 70 lb pit bull.....which has no leash
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM

Best i had so far was a 10 year old kid jumping out of his parents car and asking if he could pump my gas.

I couldn't help but laugh when he was looking for the fuel door
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM

Back when the NTOC was in its infancy, there was a member that would take pics of the cars, but only from the rear. He was getting license numbers and calling the tax office to get addresses of the owners and stealing parts at night until he got caught. He moved somewhere up north to keep us from catching him.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by edzolz
Back when the NTOC was in its infancy, there was a member that would take pics of the cars, but only from the rear. He was getting license numbers and calling the tax office to get addresses of the owners and stealing parts at night until he got caught. He moved somewhere up north to keep us from catching him.
This goes on a lot. The 1966 plate I had on my Cutlass was bought at a swap meet and never registered. My real plates were under the seat in case I ever got pulled over but I never was.
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
People come into my yard to take pictures of my car. The vicious dog keeps them from getting too close Eric
I trust your Mrs. doesn't know you're talking about her this way....

Originally Posted by edzolz
That's a heck of a way to invade privacy. He should have met Rogers Pitbull or Erics wife.... That would have put a stop to that crap!
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM
1970 442

I think you have to be careful nowadays. My friend has a 1968 Cutlass convertible, Cragars, failry loud and a bit lumpy at idle, pretty nice car he drives on weekends. He was getting gas one day (it's a low compression 1975 engine under the hood), and while he was pumping, an older teenage guy asked if he could take a couple pics. Naturally my friend said yes. He even stepped back from the car so the guy could take some pics with his smartphone. About a week later, someone on facebook notified my friend that his car was shown in some youtube video about how 'old people' are driving these smelly old cars and are killing the planet. It was some 'green' website that the video was posted on, and it had pics of his car at the gas station, along with about 10 other classic cars. What was even more disturbing was that there were hundreds of supporters for some 'death to polluting old cars' campaign through this guys facebook account, and there were even some comments about 'keying these mf'ers' at some car shows or cruise nights. He said the website was for Prius and other hybrid owners.

Don't know what the world is coming to, and I don't know how to stop someone from taking a pic of your car, or knowing what their intentions are.
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You can't stop someone from photographing you or your car when in public view.

Period.

If the car were a copyrighted artwork, to which you had the rights, you might be able to stop them from publishing it, but I say might, because the copyright would be to the 3-D artwork itself, and may not apply to 2-D images of it.

- Eric
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:51 AM

I was harrassed by a prius owner. I actually posted about it . Funny stuff those people are idiots.
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Administrator

I work at a car dealer, people take pic's of mine all the time! It's a great conversation peice.
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:47 AM

I plan on a extra 20 minutes at the grocery store for pictures and stories of I had one just like it back in the day. No biggie......Tedd
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Don't get me wrong I love talking cars. But sometimes you get one who just has a lot of free time lol. My car stays at my dads shop for the winter and they do media blasting and when I'm there working on it it never fails I get a customer who wants to see the engine and talk about it. It's fun . It's nice that someone can appreciated my work from time to time. It's funny to me sometimes I see customers at cruisenights and even the drag strip who say hey that's the car that was a redi strip co. Right ? Which at that point they say how they last seen it etc.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:36 PM
new waver

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I was harrassed by a prius owner. I actually posted about it . Funny stuff those people are idiots.
I know, us and our big old polluting cars. Shame on us. Oh and my favorite is the "death stare"
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I dunno, everyone just smiles and waves when I drive around - especially the girls .

- Eric
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:53 AM

Most every stop light I'm getting a thumbs up or a "1956, right?" or some such positive comment. I even had a prius owner tell me he really liked my car (he was much older, not the militant hipster type)

I only wish I had a dollar for every time somebody said "I used to have one just like that." I'd be able to get my car into showroom condition by now.
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM

I didn't get many pictures, but I did get lots of offers.

I'd come home from work and my dad would give me a handful of cards and notes from people that would stop by offering to buy the car.
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM

I take pictures of people's cars. It's a free country.
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:11 PM

I have to add to this now a new expericence. The other day i went to the local auto parts store and i got a fuel filter for my truck. the parts counter guy said "yeah you drive that big diesel dodge right " i said yeah . Then i got a trans filter for my cutlass and the guys say's "yeah you got that muscle car in the garage i seen you working on it i live right down the street" While his parts guy ran back to get me the part we talked for a bit . After all was said and done i got 20 percent discount and i wasn't even driving my car .
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Nice!!!!
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM

I was once stopped by a Cook County cop who was going the other way.
Turned out, he'd never seen a '86 Grand Prix 2+2, wanted to look it over and snap some pictures for a friend.
I hadn't been speeding, [radar detector] but he mentioned the car never recorded anything on radar, and wondered if it was the 'eggcrate' grille'??
That [no recording] happened more than once, and I loved the look on their faces!
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I hadn't been speeding, [radar detector] but he mentioned the car never recorded anything on radar, and wondered if it was the 'eggcrate' grille'??That [no recording] happened more than once, and I loved the look on their faces!
Shoulda told them back in the day Oldsmobile was experimenting with 'Stealth' technology on the front of the car to motivate sales volumes .....