General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Steering wheel componets expert please SOS!

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Steering wheel componets expert please SOS!

Okay need some help finding this part. I opened 7 steering colums off multiple 69 olds Cutlass's, and this parts was broken in 6. I finally got one in the 7th one by playing the operation game. This part is very fragile. I would like to find a new one if possible.It is right before the key lock cylinder inside the steering wheel and goes down inside the colume.The part is clear plastic and very fragile with a flat spring on the rear and 2 metal tabs inside poking out on top that signal the horn and the key buzzer. I can put the old one I have in now but would sure like to find a new one. Some are calling this part a ignition warning buzzer part. Year one use to sell them but not anymore. Thanks for any help Guys.

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; September 19th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:41 PM

Is this what you are looking for:

http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?CatC...192&yearrange=
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If that's the part, leave the darn thing out! It makes the annoying key warning buzzer buzz. Good riddance I say - it's the first thing I disconnect when I get a new car.

- Eric
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:19 AM

It is very similar to what is pictured,but slightly different.The plastic is clear,and the contact tabs are angled the same direction.I am pretty sure I have some of these.
As far as the buzzer sound goes,I have always unplugged the connection at the relay,which is on the fender for 69-71,and on the firewall for 72.
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
... I have always unplugged the connection at the relay....
Yeah - it's a bit of a tradition with me.
Whenever I buy a GM car, I give the seller the money, shake his hand, open the hood, and yank the pink wire .

- Eric
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM

But then how do you know when you left your keys in the ignition
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:31 AM

"As far as the buzzer sound goes,I have always unplugged the connection at the relay...." That has always been my work around solution on my drivers. I am trying to get my W31 to be 100% functioning as intended, and I am running into a annoying issue with the key buzzer. The buzzer goes off when I open the drivers door with no key in the ignition. The passenger door only turns on the interior lights as it should. The lights and buzzer turn on the drivers door. I have replaced the door jamb switch but that does not change anything. I have it disconnected now but that leaves me with no interior lights when I open the door. Any thoughts on where to look next?
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
But then how do you know when you left your keys in the ignition
Easy: I can see them through the closed window of the locked door .

Originally Posted by tomsw31
The buzzer goes off when I open the drivers door with no key in the ignition... I have replaced the door jamb switch but that does not change anything. Any thoughts on where to look next?
Yup.

It's the tiny leaf switch in the steering column that the end of the key presses against when it's in the lock. The leaves tend to get bent up easily.
Pull the wheel, check the switch, and re-bend if necessary.
If worse comes to worst, you can always by one from OPGI at the link above.

- Eric
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Easy: I can see them through the closed window of the locked door .

Yup.

It's the tiny leaf switch in the steering column that the end of the key presses against when it's in the lock. The leaves tend to get bent up easily.
Pull the wheel, check the switch, and re-bend if necessary.
If worse comes to worst, you can always by one from OPGI at the link above.

- Eric
Thank you, I will give that a try.
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the Help, ah64pilot. That looks like the part but a bit smaller in Length than mine. The Metal Tabs are def a bit longer as well. Mine also has a flat spring on the backside. The add says for Tilt at the top and then at the Bottom for non-Tilt. I'll buzz them tommorow to get the details. I called them earlier in the week and they said they didn't make one. With the part number Im sure that will help.

For all of those who who are wandering what I want a Key buzzer noise for, I don't. Take a look and you can see in the picture there is 2 Metal Tabs. The other one works with the Horn componets. Also mine broke in the colume, leaving the Key locked and stuck in the cylinder. This part I need also works with your Key cylinder as well. A tab in the cylinder goes in and out of it. Also FYI this part is not on all sterring wheels, just the ones with the high end sterring wheels. GM Sport Wheels and the Olds 442 Steering Wheel.

Once again Thanks everyone. Just got my car back from the paint shop and its Under my name on the board. click on the picture for bigger image.After waiting almost 2 years its good to have it back. I 'll post some better pics later. Love this car with the Cragers on it.

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; September 21st, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
Take a look and you can see in the picture there is 2 Metal Tabs. The other one works with the Horn componets. Also mine broke in the colume, leaving the Key locked and stuck in the cylinder. This part I need also works with your Key cylinder as well. A tab in the cylinder goes in and out of it. Also FYI this part is not on all sterring wheels, just the ones with the high end sterring wheels. GM Sport Wheels and the Olds 442 Steering Wheel.
Then I'm not sure if you're being steered to the right part.

Is this for a regular column, a tilt column, or a tilt/tele column?
Is the column original to the car?
Is it a column-shift car or a floor-shift car?

Look at these pictures and tables and tell us which number part you're talking about.
The first is for non-Tilt, the second is for Tilt.

Non-Tilt:

Tilt:

- Eric
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM

MDchanic , Hi and Thanks for posting those two graphics.Mine is the Non Tilt and factory to the Car. I did swap the GM Sport Steering wheel (69 edition) for the Olds Sport wheel (1970 Edition). The parts I need are in the NON-TILT Graphic-- #32 and the flat spring #31. Like I said I have them now but the clear plastic part is very fragile and original. This part is white in the OPG Picture and looks to be a bit more sturdy. The part that OPG has is almost exact but may be as I stated a bit different in Length. It is also list the part as Ignition Warning Buzzer Switch w/tilt (w/o telescopic) and then at the bottom states for non tilt applications 69 and up steering colums.So I don't know if it works for both or not. It says two different things for one part and one part number. There closed today so I'll call them Monday. Once again thanks for taking the time to help me out on this.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So it looks like you are looking for GM Part Numbers 7804419 and 7804414:

I can't say where you might find them, but whatever you get has to interchange with these.
You might wish to try your local GM dealer's parts department - you'd be surprised at what might still be in the warehouse sometimes.

This thread has some discussion of these same parts, including substituting the newer PN 7830375.

- Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by MDchanic; September 22nd, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:18 AM

okay for those those that are following this thread. This part from OPG will not work. As I suspected its to short and made for a Tilt Column only. There (OPG's) catalog is a mis- print where it stated for non-Tilt.

If anyone has a idea where the correct part could be found that would be great. Thanks everyone.