General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Steam coming from top of radiator?

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2013, 11:54 PM

Steam coming from top of radiator?

After getting my suspension problems sorted, I went for a drive around the block, a little more than a mile or so. When I returned home, I popped the hood and noticed what appeared to be steam coming from the top passenger side of the radiator. There were no visible leaks that I could see, and no temp lights on the gauge. The car seemed to drive perfectly. As far as how much steam was coming out, about the same as a tea kettle at mid temp (sorry, that's the only thing I could think to compare it to). There was no burning smell of any kind. Any ideas? Thanks! Also the I checked the rad after the engine cooled off, coolant is full and reservoir jug is near add mark.
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:58 PM

Small radiator leak?
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:00 AM

Didn't happen to run through any puddles on the way home, did ya? A radiator under city driving can get above 212f without any trouble. The radiator cap holds the system under pressure, which increases the boiling point of the fluid inside, and the prestone also increases the boiling point. A splash of water could sit in a ledge at the bottom of a flange quite happily until the temp got up enough to vaporize it. What was the temperature out?
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:31 AM

Is your radiator cap on the same side as where the steam is? If so, I would check the cap and the overflow line for any leaks.
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Lower hose loose, pin hole in radiator, water pump leak, or as others have stated you possibly ran through a puddle.
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Conditions were dry outside, no puddles.
The radiator cap is on the steam side.
Should I use a radiator pressure gauge?
Old December 10th, 2013, 11:06 AM

You say you didn't smell anything ... steaming prestone stinks, you can't miss it. Check the level cold, fire it up and let it warm up. If you see it again, you've something to look for.
Old December 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Kjr442

You have been given some good things to look for, and check. I think you have the beginning of a leak, not even a pin hole, but just enough to get the radiator damp.
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:47 PM

How old is the radiator itself? How old is the radiator cap? Make sure the radiator isn't filled to top and drained hose is not plugged up going into drain reservoir. You will find new leaks with to much pressure.
Old December 10th, 2013, 07:42 PM

I'm not sure how old the radiator and cap are. The whole set up, including the hoses all look in great shape. I'll take a closer look tomorrow and do a pressure test on it. I bought the car a year ago from the original owner so I can always give him a call.
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:19 AM

I did a pressure test. The needle never moved and I found no leaks. I cranked the engine up and let it idle for 5 minutes, no steam or anything that resembled such. When I turned the ignition off, the engine rumbled and sputtered for a few seconds. I've seen older cars do this in the past, but this is the first time mine has done so. I'm not sure what causes that.
Old December 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM

It's hard to replicate a leak like you originally wrote of..as long as you checked and have no leaks I really wouldn't worry about it much. However I would recommend having a mechanical temp gauge in the car if you don't already, as a just in case of overheating you have a chance to save the engine..also sputtering that can be numerous amount of answers..question is what have you not done to the engine+amount of mileage= to what work you need to do..
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Okay, so I learned a term. "Deiseling" or engine run on. That is what my car did. BTW I have 75,000 miles. I'm going to do the Seafoam treatment for the dieseling but that's a whole other forum topic. Thanks as always for everyone's input. It is always appreciated.