General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Start up Advise

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2010, 11:36 PM

Start up Advise

One of my mates parked his 75 Cutlass four years ago, running like new, due to serious illness. He has recovered and is about to start the Olds. I told him to hold off untill l checked if there was something important to due prior to start up. Would love some help, hate to cause damage to a fine running Olds. Andy
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:04 AM

New gas, change fuel filter, change oil. I would give it a tune up and check vacuum lines.

Before he drives it check the brake line, hoses, and fuel lines. Change transmission fluid and filter.
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Four years is not THAT long a time. If all he wants to do is see if it will start, make sure there actually is oil in the crankcase and that it's full enough and make sure there's actually gasoline in the tank. I would certainly inspect under the hood to make sure no animals have eaten through any wiring or hoses. You'll probably need a new battery unless the one that's in there has been kept charged or can be recharged.

The most important thing is to make sure the engine isn't seized, which it probably isn't. The first time you go to start it, just bump the starter quickly and let off to make sure the engine spins. If it does, pump the gas pedal a couple of times and crank away. The worst that can happen is that the car doesn't start, but I bet it does assuming no other immediate problems are found.

Now, if he actually wants to put it in gear and move it, then, yes, he needs to check the brakes first and make sure they hold. Step on the pedal and see if it's firm. Check the brake fluid reservoir and make sure it's topped off.

Assuming it starts and assuming the brakes work well enough to back it out into the driveway and maybe drive it around the block, THEN you can tend to all the things that 70 cutlass s suggests. Most importantly, change the oil. If the car runs, I would immediately put some fresh gas in the tank to dilute the old gas. But assuming it does run, it's probably not necessary to drain the old gas. Just fill it with new and run the gas through the engine to slowly burn up the old gas. Change the fuel filter at this point, too.

I have had two similar experiences to this. Last January I bought a '73 Custom Cruiser that had not been started since 2005. With a new battery, it did start and ran rough, but the roughness was certainly as much due to needing a tune up as to any other single reason. Since then I have done all the things suggested (except change the transmission fluid), including giving it a complete tune up, and it runs just fine now.

Back in the mid-90s, I helped a neighbor get started a '69 Cutlass that had been owned by his father that had been sitting in a garage for 10 years without being started or tended to in any way. We checked the oil and brakes and wiring. We poured new gas into the tank. We put in a new battery. We bumped the starter to make sure the engine wasn't seized, and it wasn't. We ended up spraying some starting fluid into the carburetor to get it to start, but it did start and run on its own. We backed it out of the garage, pumped up the tires, and went around the block.

He immediately sold the car, so I don't know where it ended up.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks a million, going through the check list and we will give it a go. Andy
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cecil Anderson
Thanks a million, going through the check list and we will give it a go. Andy
Let us know what happens.
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:59 AM

It wouldn't hurt to take out the plugs and spin the engine with the starter to build oil pressure. Then replace the plugs and start it.