General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Starfire switch plate nomenclature

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2021, 02:30 PM

Starfire switch plate nomenclature

Under the dash pad lip on my 62 Starfire convertible there are 3 switches. The switch plates are labeled....courtesy lamp....top....and the right plate is blank. I think that it should have ....antenna....on it. There was a switch in it when I removed the dash, but no electric antenna.
My question is, should the switch plate be labeled antenna and where can I get it done if so.
Thanks for your replys
Old July 6th, 2021, 09:28 PM

If the wire lengths don’t inform you which order to put the switches in, I’d suggest you hit the ‘net for interior photos of cars from ‘62. If you can find it, some ‘62 Olds or similar year sales materials may also have a photo which shows what order the switches went in from left to right. I’ll bet GM had a standard for which switch in which position.

I believe my ‘66 convertible has the TOP switch on the left and ANTENNA switch on the right. My hardtop Starfire has REAR DEFROST on the left and ANTENNA on the right. Just to confirm it, rear defrost wasn’t an option on convertibles in my year, and probably ever — convertibles had no rear package tray to mount the fan in.

Given that these are option switches & customers could choose whatever they wanted, I suspect that there’s a fair amount of variety of “which switch went where” from the factory. Let alone after restorations.

If all that fails, set it up how you want to use it.

Cheers
Chris