General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stainless steel replacement tank?

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:03 AM

Stainless steel replacement tank?

Hiya Fellas believe it or not I am moving closer to putting the motor in and getting my project running so I can drop it off at the body shop for paint, I need to replace the fuel tank, so I looked on line "most tanks seem to be 17 gallons? but some are also advertised as 20 gallon which I believe is the stock size, I hate rust, so was thinking stainless, My questions are as follows:
1. Any problems using a stainless tank?
2. Do you paint the tank or just put it in?
3. Any recommendations on brand, I don't have fuel injection etc
4. is a tank from a 69 chevelle the same ( seen reasonable proced tank at ss396.com)
5. Understand about the sending unit, with 2 fittings fuel and return, any recommendations to brand or rock auto?
6. Best place to get the isolation pad?

Thank you gents..

Eddie
Old June 22nd, 2016, 11:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Eddie,
The tank in your car has survived this long and is just rusty on the outside? Not being mean my friend, but why would you be spending unnecessary coin on stainless when a plain steel tank will do the job just as well.

1. No problems using stainless unless you want to burn a hole in your wallet
2. No painting on the tank. All the tanks come with a rust inhibitor coating on the outside. Don't clean that off. Just install the sender and strap it up.
3. Spectra Premium GM34C. They package it to survive a hurricane.
4. Likely
5. Your choice. I got mine from ILT and am happy with it.
6. Yes, Patton Glade on this site - goes by 70Post. I bought one of his tank pads and it's spot on. Pricing is really good. Here's a link to his thread - Gas Tank Pads--- Restoration Item

BTW, Brian passed along your message. Thank you sir! Hope you're doing well too.

Last edited by Allan R; June 22nd, 2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: #
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Eddie,
BTW, Brian passed along your message. Thank you sir! Hope you're doing well too.

Hi Allan, really good to hear from you my friend, I did send you an email via the site but not sure it made it, LOL, I will be seeing Brian Tomorrow!! as for the money that is the trouble the stainless isn't that much more! like 20-30 bucks

Yes I am doing well thank you on another tear, grabbed a new radiator, will finish the top of the cowl area with stripping and such then install the motor , then the tranny etc, looking at a centerforce or similar stock type clutch, yadayada I need the vehicle mobile so I can drop off at the body shop for spraying, I am not going to do it in the garage LOL...
Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:30 PM

Went in like any other tank. Bought off of eBay.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Eddie, I hear you scored big time with the Cutlass parts! I know Brian was really hoping you'd take them all because he's been trying to unload all that stuff for awhile. From the sounds of it you guys had a good time and nice lunch. Did you make up your mind on the tank? I get that SS is only 30 bucks more, but really, who needs a shiny tank? The regular steel one looks pretty good too BTW.

Mine is a GM34R
Here's how it was packaged from Spectra Premium (box is heavy duty under the tank) It comes with a new rubber o ring and seal, but I kept my old one just in case. They were ringers so that's a confidence booster.

After installation (you can see the tank isolation pad tucked down a bit)

Now it just needs to have the exhaust done up with the trumpet flares and it looks probably like new

Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
4. is a tank from a 69 chevelle the same ( seen reasonable proced tank at ss396.com)
I don't know if it can be made to work or not, but they have different part numbers. The Chevelle is 3940133. The Olds is 404078 and is also used on the '68 F-85 (not station wagon) and the 1968-69 Buick Special (not station wagon).
Old June 24th, 2016, 05:21 AM

Thank you Ozzie! Allan I am still in a state of shock ! I drove my ford excursion down to Maryland and Brian filled it up, so much stuff lol yeah I took it all lol we really need to consider buying those extra lots down there it was beautiful ! It was indeed a good lunch and a real pleasure meeting Brian after all this time face to face , my issue with the spectra is its listed as 17.9 gallons ? i believe factory was 20 as the stainless steel one is listed at? I really hate rust I changed fuel, brake lines to stainless and even my e cables are stainless , I will think a little more as I empty my truck today but I would either go stainless or paint the tank before install. Thank you for pad tip I contacted don and will be sending him an envelope today 😄👍🏻🍺
Old June 24th, 2016, 05:25 AM

Your car is looking great by the way Allan, I also look forward to meeting you one day as well! 👌
Old June 24th, 2016, 07:23 AM

Spectra tank size was discussed a while back but I cannot find the thread. As usual, I think Joe set us all straight and the tanks are very close to the original capacity regardless of the 17 gallon data listed on many sites selling them. Spectra comes from Canada, so my hunch is the 17 is really imperial gallons which converts to a bit over 20 US gallons.

Maybe like all the header companies saying they will not fit a Supreme
Old June 24th, 2016, 10:13 AM

I'll confirm what Dane just said....the Spectra Premium brand tanks are the SAME DIMENSIONS as the originals...thus the same volume as originals. Pay no attention to their "17.9 gallon" figure.

As far as sourcing...did you look at RockAuto.com? You need to look at the TOTAL price (ie tank + SHIPPING). Some vendors really hammer it on the ship cost and I've typically found RockAuto to have the most reasonable ship rates on gas tanks.

No need to paint the Spectra Premium tank if you get it.....it uses some sort of coated/plated metal sheet and will look great for years. Painting them sort of ruins the original "look" IMO. You could periodically spray it with something like Boeshield if you were concerned but I would do anything but paint it if you are looking for an original appearance.

Last edited by 70Post; June 24th, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Your car is looking great by the way Allan, I also look forward to meeting you one day as well! 👌
Thanks Eddie. Same for me. I hear you're quite the giant of a man though!

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Spectra comes from Canada, so my hunch is the 17 is really imperial gallons which converts to a bit over 20 US gallons.
This was my first thought too! FYI I compared the OEM tank to the new GM34R that I bought and the dimensions were identical. Only difference is that the old tank has a part number stamped into the metal, and the side lateral line on the middle edge. That doesn't affect capacity though. I'm guessing it's not allowed to be an EXACT replica or they'd have to pay GM a licensing fee.