General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Speedo reset????

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2013, 07:31 PM

Speedo reset????

I do not remember seeing this discussed before. I am knee deep in the restoration of my 72 vert. I am thinking it would be good to start the clock all over again at 0 since this is a frame off. I remember back in the day it was illegal to tamper or alter the odometer on a car. Can you reset the odometer? How do you do it? I think the mileage on the car is acurate at 83000 mi showing but who knows. It could be 180 or 280. I just think it would be neat
to set the clock at 0 and start all over
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, you can reset the speedo. It involves taking the speedometer apart which is surprisingly easy. I took one apart at the boneyard this summer to see how it works. Not that complicated, just very tedious and work carefully. It took me about 20 minutes to take apart and put back together, but I wasn't striving for perfection. If you have the patience, it's very do-able.

You can send it out also for a complete rebuild. Bob's Speedometers does these restos which also includes putting new numbers on the odometer wheels. It will come back looking like new. Not cheap though.

Bob's Speedometer
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:44 PM
Administrator

It's been done a lot with people in similar situations. In most states these cars are mileage exempt meaning it does not matter. You can take the odometer apart and realign the digits or get a drill in the cable and let it run for a while.
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's only illegal if you claim the new mileage is the true mileage.

If you check the little box on the transfer documents that says "Odometer does not reflect true mileage" it's fine.

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
.....or get a drill in the cable and let it run for a while.
Yikes, Eric (the other Eric that is ) if you tried that it would put a LOT of wear on the speedo and would take a heck of a lot longer than a little while... besides, taking it apart is a necessary evil of the hobby. What I would do if this is an issue for learning is buy a couple of speedos cheap from 2blu442, jensenracing77 or oldspackrat and practice on them. I have one from a 1970 with a speedminder option that I have to take apart to restore so that's what peaked my curiosity at the boneyard this year. Not sure if I kept one of them or not, I have to check my inventory. That would make a cool thread topic though....

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It's only illegal if you claim the new mileage is the true mileage. If you check the little box on the transfer documents that says "Odometer does not reflect true mileage" it's fine.
Ah, the "Other' other Eric ... Good point. I didn't consider that the car would ever be sold though....and I know Steve wouldn't do something underhanded like that.
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:36 PM

Ah, the "Other' other Eric ... Good point. I didn't consider that the car would ever be sold though....and I know Steve wouldn't do something underhanded like that.[/QUOTE]

Good points by all. The only thing that I will ever point out on this car is that I "Did it my Way". It is not going to be original or correct but it will be very nice.. And Fun!
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:26 PM

I have set multiple replacement mechanical odo's to reflect actual mileage on the originals.
Disassy is pretty easy. One key thing is to try not to handle the numbered wheels much as the numbering can come off easily. In the 80's, I think some parts were intentionally painted in special paint that would come off easily if the odo was tampered with. Lines appeared between the numbers or something...

Depending on your state, you might be required to put a small decal in the doorjamb that stated the original mileage before the odo was replaced (reset to 0 in your case.)
Just check with your states laws first.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:53 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
My father put it this way.
Ronny he said...Unlawful is Bending or Breaking the Law.
Illegal is a sick Bird.
There is a You tube video that can guide you.
It pertains to a Re Setting Classic Mustang Odometer .
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

It is NOT illegal (nor unlawful) to reset your odometer to zero, as it is also not illegal (not unlawful) to replace your speedo with a brand new one that is also set to zero. The illegal (AND unlawful) part is the intent to commit fraud. Read the actual text of the applicable laws, not hearsay. As Allan noted, it is also very easy to disassemble the speedo and reset the odo drum. I typically do this when I completely rebuild a car. Here in VA, the title has a section where you certify if the mileage is correct or not. Falsify this and you are breaking the law. Be truthful and there is no issue whatsoever.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Sampson
The only thing that I will ever point out on this car is that I "Did it my Way"!
A classic 'Sinatra-Mobile'..
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sampson
Good points by all. The only thing that I will ever point out on this car is that I "Did it my Way". It is not going to be original or correct but it will be very nice.. And Fun!
I smell a plan here!

Originally Posted by Allan R
A classic 'Sinatra-Mobile'..
I prefer the Elvis version
Old July 30th, 2014, 05:53 AM
JC

How to Reset a Classic Mustang Odometer:

Last edited by JCMC64; June 19th, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:30 AM
JC

ttt
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:30 AM

True story, In 1975 a guy I know asked me to reset the millage on his 72 Cutlass, was showing 31000, he wanted it to read 75000 for resale, I did as he asked and noticed 6 months later he's is still driving the same car, I asked why he hadn't sold the car (HIS WORDS) It's only got 75000 miles on it , He drove the car another 3-4 years after that.
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by joesw31
As with the "VIN Tampering" laws, this is only illegal when done with the intent to defraud. Obviously it is perfectly legal to replace the speedo (and odometer) for maintenance reasons. Every state in the US has a place on the title form where you either certify that the mileage on the odometer is correct or that it is not correct. Checking the latter box proves no intent to defraud. Problem solved.
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by joesw31
I posted the link for reference, where, one can make there own determination of what is legal.
Yes, I appreciate the link.
Old June 19th, 2015, 03:30 PM

Started this thread when the body was still off the frame. Reset the odo back to 000000.0. It now reads 2590.2 miles of pure fun.
Old June 19th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Well done!