General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Speedminder Speedo - Help needed

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Speedminder Speedo - Help needed

I just lucked out and managed to get a speedminder speedo for a reasonable price. It would do for just a driver, but I want to restore it for my 72, and that means taking it apart, refreshing the paint highlights, cleaning the odometer face and resetting the mileage to what's on my car now. The circuit board says it was built in 1970. the buzzer relay seems to be ok. Need to know how to dis assemble. Ill take pics of the progress in case anything goes wrong.

Does Anyone have the service manual for 1970 that shows how to rebuild or repair this unit. I cant find it in my 72 manual. If you have the info and can scan it, PM me and Ill send you my home email. Thx in advance.
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Cutlass Lover

Hey Allan R..... Where have you been??? I was just thinking we haven't heard much from you lately.... at least not since your Curling season!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Hey Allan R..... Where have you been??? I was just thinking we haven't heard much from you lately.... at least not since your Curling season!!
Hi Sandy,
I've been keeping myself occupied..... Thanks for your thoughts. I did go to a curling bonspiel in Calgary 2 weeks ago. Found out that if you jump in front of a C Train at night, they take it pretty serious....something about messing up the schedules Also challenged a Bus Driver to keep up with a cop on the Deerfoot Trail SB. Told him that if he could beat the cop to Tim Hortons, I would buy coffee for everyone on the bus. Well at least I thought it was funny. Hmm, they don't got a sense of humor down there. They took that way to seriously too. I think I'm banned from riding on Calgary Transit

The Hotel I was staying at was just 5 minutes from a pick n pull. I tried really hard to get Friday off so I could spend the day in the wreckers. No such luck, we ended up winning a playoff berth in spite of our "efforts". Maybe another time.

I may be on / off over the next while. I'm dealing with some health issues that I am finding rather un nerving and very unexpected.

Sooo, anyway that's what's up.

Hope someone out there has the info I'm looking for. I'd hate to just start taking the speedminder apart on my own but I will if need be. I just hate finding extra part lying around in the part tray after I'm done, and I don't know where they go. Worse: the rebuild still works without the missing parts!! (not sure for how long).
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:44 PM

I hate to hear that about you having health issues. Sounds pretty serious.

I looked in my 70 service manual it didn't have anything about it. With the speedo it doesn't go into a lot of detail. Mine is a reprint so it could have been left out. I don't know. Wish I could help.

On a side note I went to two junk yards today about couple hours away from me and found 5 72 Cutlasses, not in the best of shape. Only one could even be made back into a decent car without too much work.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:09 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well it's nice to hear from you! I don't like the sounds of your health issues - un expected is never good. I hope everything works out in your favor, and I will keep you in my thoughts! You take care of yourself!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM

Is the high beam indicator red or blue?
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:22 AM

Get better fast!! The cruisin season is nigh...The speedo issue is a specialty deal that the dealers would send out to repair at a speedo shop, so check out what you have in the vicinity and report back..me and the Easter Bunny will be awaiting a reply...Richard...
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by svnt442
Is the high beam indicator red or blue?
Its blue. If I remember right, 1970 was the year they changed from red to Blue?? Anyway, a 68 or 69 speedo cluster would just not work in a 70=72 since the appearance and mounting tabs are all different.

I remember the 60's when the high beam was red. I really liked it when they changed to the blue. I think it shows up better.

Do you have any experiences with taking speedos apart that would be good starting info? (my Dad used to say: "Just leave the darn thing alone, it's not broken yet") Loved my Dad, just didn't always agree with him.
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Get better fast!! The cruisin season is nigh...The speedo issue is a specialty deal that the dealers would send out to repair at a speedo shop, so check out what you have in the vicinity and report back..me and the Easter Bunny will be awaiting a reply...Richard...
Thx Richard,
I kind of wanted to do this on my own. Got kind of inspired by all the work Rob is putting into Lady; and also don't have a ton of extra cash to fork out. I'm thinking that I might just pop this speedo into the 72 in the next couple of weeks and see how it runs. If the electronics are good, the only thing I really want to do is reset the mileage, clean and restore the face + gage needles. Last part is super easy to do. I have a replacement lens for this already.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Its blue. If I remember right, 1970 was the year they changed from red to Blue?? Anyway, a 68 or 69 speedo cluster would just not work in a 70=72 since the appearance and mounting tabs are all different.

I remember the 60's when the high beam was red. I really liked it when they changed to the blue. I think it shows up better.

Do you have any experiences with taking speedos apart that would be good starting info? (my Dad used to say: "Just leave the darn thing alone, it's not broken yet") Loved my Dad, just didn't always agree with him.
1970 was the last year for red. They went to Blue in 1971.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by svnt442
1970 was the last year for red. They went to Blue in 1971.
You got me concerned too, you take care of yourself Allan R., Allan H. says so. Us older Allans with an an "A" instead of an "E" are unique and have to stick together.

Since that's for a '71 (like mine) and would be totally inappropriate for your car when you hit the brights (unlike mine would) I could take it off your hands.
Actually my next thing will be will be a power bench seat. My wife has arthritis and has trouble with the manual one, has a lot of pride and insists on adjusting it herself.
With two people you have to train together for months then be in perfect sychronization when you move it or it goes caddywumpus.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Since that's for a '71 (like mine) and would be totally inappropriate for your car when you hit the brights (unlike mine would) I could take it off your hands.
Actually my next thing will be will be a power bench seat. My wife has arthritis and has trouble with the manual one, has a lot of pride and insists on adjusting it herself.
With two people you have to train together for months then be in perfect sychronization when you move it or it goes caddywumpus.
Allan H,
You'd really be willing to take it off my hands? After all the trouble of tracking it down for the last 3 years? You are a real sport. I'll get on the shipment right away. You still in Rattlesnake Junction?

Power seat? Yessir, I know what you mean. I have a complete power seat setup ready to go into my car. I chose the 4 way seat instead of the 6 way. In restropect I think I made the wrong choice. I also have to get the upholstery custom made. I got the power seat for A65 (CS) with the folding armrest because I've grown fond of a console in the middle of the seat. Only problem is the the A65 upholstery pattern doesn't match the Cutlass S interior. I also just might take the power assemblies and remount them to my existing seat since it is like brand new and has no rust on it anywhere. I think it's due for new foam though.

My wife won't participate in the 2 person shuffle. She just hops out and waits till it's done. I always need the seat further back, and she likes it further forward. We flipped a coin to settle the issue. "If it stays in the air, you can keep the seat anywhere you want" is all I told her. You should been there to watch her trying to keep that quarter airborne! It was soooo good, I compromised and split the difference with seat position. Then she gets to sit right close and be my armrest for as long as we are out driving. Just like the good ol days....except for the trip to the gas station (It would be about $3.50 / gallon US) Once those 3:42 gears go in, I think I'll need to plan my longer trips better, or carry a couple of jerry cans.

Nice chatting with you again Allan H. The welcome mat is always out.