General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Spare Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Spare Power Steering Pump

Just got a spare power steering pump just to keep on the side from a salvage yard. Trouble is, when the part arrived, it looks different that the one I have in the car.

I have a '72 and it looks kind of 'A' shaped. This matches the chassic manual picture. The pump I recieved is round and has an long filler neck which is oval shaped. I am assuming this is from an earlier model.

Does anyone know if the round model was used on '72 models?

If its not stock, I really don't want it and will return it.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Looks like it may be late 60's up to 70. Bummer.
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM

It still might be a compatible pump but with a different reservoir? If it still has the pully, does it look similar? Next compare the fittings on the back of the pump, if they're close it could be a match. FYI NAPA sells the pump only for $45 and pump with reservoir for another $25. 2 bolts and a fitting hold the reservoir to the pump. I just replaced mine last week.
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:32 AM

Actually Napa is where I got a look at all the pumps and realized pump was pre '72. Unfortunately the reason I bought the spare was for the resevoir. Mine has some dents etc. was hoping to have a nicer pump to fiddle with down the road. Does have the right pulley however.

The yard I use gives great prices, but sometimes they fail on the application.

Win some you lose some.
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:35 AM

I have seen many yards fail in that way. They often get the function part right, but not in the looks dept. Sure you can rig up that late 60's pump to your car, but you want one that LOOKS correct for the year.
I saw one guy at one yard have a guy pull a parking light for his pickup. They even looked at the truck when it was there. The light he had was amber but the one they pulled was clear! When questioned, the grimey worker said "It fits, don't it? We pulled it you buy it!"
I would have hauled my butt out of there.
Their prices stunk to high heaven, too.
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:42 AM

"It fits, don't it? We pulled it you buy it!"
I despise the salvage yards that don't let people pull their own parts. I guess insurance is hard to deal with in today's world. I rarely do business with salvage yards like that.
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by johnspd22
Just got a spare power steering pump just to keep on the side from a salvage yard. Trouble is, when the part arrived, it looks different that the one I have in the car.

I have a '72 and it looks kind of 'A' shaped. This matches the chassic manual picture. The pump I recieved is round and has an long filler neck which is oval shaped. I am assuming this is from an earlier model.

Does anyone know if the round model was used on '72 models?

If its not stock, I really don't want it and will return it.

Thanks in advance for any info.
The only difference is the stamped steel reservoir, the rest of the pump is the same. The two pumps should interchange, but if not, you can simply swap the reservoirs.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:41 PM

i have the pump you are talking about on my 1972 cutlass(oval tube). Mine is a 350 without factory air (not sure what belongs on it). i am currently looking for a replacement pulley for it right now as my pulley is bent and dented. im not sure if the pump is theone that belongs on the car. The pulley has KG stamped on it any ideas cause i cant find one that fits any where?

Last edited by highlander; February 16th, 2010 at 05:57 PM.