General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Source for "horn/steering wheel spring" ????

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Source for "horn/steering wheel spring" ????

Hi Guys,

I have a 72 442 convertible with the sport steering wheel. I took the wheel off and the little spring that is under the horn button popped out and landed on the floor of the car. I don't know the proper name for it.

I have spent hours searching for the dam thing, and cannot find it anywhere. I guess the car ate it!!!!

Anyway, I have not been able to find a source for a replacement spring. Does anyone know where I could find one of these????

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old October 6th, 2012, 02:28 PM

I think any of the repro companies sell them, and they are usually on ebay, just the button and spring.
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Any GM dealer, part #474102. This is one source, you can get them here also, http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm , their shipping is kinda high.
Go to ebay and search "474102 horn contact"
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

I don't know what these parts cost from GM, but every Camaro repro parts vendor sells a kit with the spring, eyelet, and plastic retainer. I bought a complete kit at Spring Carlisle for about $5.
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:16 PM

I bought the horn spring, button and retainer at the parts place for 10 bucks. Kinda high I thought.
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:19 AM

They are still available and I bought a handful from my parts counter at work. You'd be surprised what you can still get from GM.
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:23 AM

If that does not work, ACE Hardware carries a wide assortment of springs, all sizes and tensions. Just would not use them for the special carburetor throttle springs
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Billy

I recently ordered a #474102 and just got it the other day. I haven't had time to install it yet, however, I am confused as to the instruction sheet that says "cut to 3/4 inches"? Does it mean the spring and the plunger? Where does the plastic collar go...I am replacing the deluxe wheel with a sport wheel on a '71 Cutlass. The spring and plunger seemed to still be in place on the hub from the original setup. Yet once the sport wheel is attached and the horn cap and assembly is screwed down, you have constant horn activation and no spring action to lift the horn cap away from making contact with the tabs? Confused???
Old October 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigrig12
I recently ordered a #474102 and just got it the other day. I haven't had time to install it yet, however, I am confused as to the instruction sheet that says "cut to 3/4 inches"? Does it mean the spring and the plunger? Where does the plastic collar go...I am replacing the deluxe wheel with a sport wheel on a '71 Cutlass. The spring and plunger seemed to still be in place on the hub from the original setup. Yet once the sport wheel is attached and the horn cap and assembly is screwed down, you have constant horn activation and no spring action to lift the horn cap away from making contact with the tabs? Confused???
They are talking of the plunger.
But.
I have no idea what car the part # we use to get these parts was. So therefore the instructions are for some unknown application. I say ignore them and do what you can see and feel needs to be done. If the plunger is too long and the parts will not fit together without cutting it then do so. Trial and error is the norm here.
The continuous horn is the result of something touching where it shouldn't. The whole idea here is to extend the ground circut from the turn signal cancelling cam up to the horn contact which attaches to the sport wheel with three screws. If you have constant horn then you have something going to ground before it is intended. If the spring or plunger touches any metal before it touches the horn contact it is the cause of the constant horn. If it doesn't touch anything and the horn doesn't blow until you put the horn contact in place it could be a defective horn contact. The contact is made of at least 2 pieces with an insulator between and held in place by three plastic rivets. If the insulator is gone or if the contact is bent and top touches bottom it is the problem. Hope you can decipher my explanation and figure the problem.
If you can't figure it out I suggest posting GOOD pictures of all the parts you are using and explaining how you are using them and maybe then someone can see the problem for you. Mike

Last edited by 66luvr; October 8th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.