General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

silver overspray on taillight lenses

Old November 4th, 2009, 09:01 PM

silver overspray on taillight lenses

I just picked up a new set (resto parts) of tail lights for a 72 Cutlass Supreme, and all the red lenses on the inside are caked with silver paint. I could only get a bit of it off. Is this normal? How did yours look? tx
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Try some paint thinner should take it off.
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Past Administrator

I think there was a thread about this about a year ago. Seems someone purchased a set and had the same problem and found a way to clean them up. I encourage a thorough search on this site as I am quite sure I remember reading it.
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Oldsdruid

Send them back, tell the supplier they are unacceptable as is, and ask for another set. Shouldn't be any paint on inside of those lenses.

If the replacement set is the same way, tell the supplier they have a problem with the manufacturing process and they should get it corrected. For the money they ask for this stuff, it ought to come thru at least as good as an NOS piece. The factory could get sloppy with masking at times, but ...
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM

I let the supplier know. Just waiting on a response. Below are a few pics of what they look like...

Old November 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Oldsdruid

That is not acceptable in any way, shape form or fashion. That's just plumb sloppy careless work right there. Doesn't look like they masked anything and it would have been simple to do.

I'd return them and back-charge the shipping. There is no valid excuse for shipping out product like that.
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:04 PM
GM Enthusiast

That is not acceptable in any way, shape form or fashion. That's just plumb sloppy careless work right there. Doesn't look like they masked anything and it would have been simple to do.

I'd return them and back-charge the shipping. There is no valid excuse for shipping out product like that.
x2

But if you cannot return them..... I have had luck removing overspray with paint thinner as well. Also a clay bar with car detailer is another option for removing overspray.
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:36 AM

Be real careful using paint thinner. paint thinner likes to do bad things to plastic. I have had great luck using Blue Magic all metal polishing creme on plastic lens. I purchased a used lens a couple months ago, had someoverspray and fine scratches on it. used it and it looked like brand new in a matter of a couple minutes. It also works great to remove the yellowing of the plastic lens on the newer cars.
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:25 AM

If you use paint thinner put some on a rag and use the rag to whip the lens. Also you'll want to wear rubber gloves.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Id try soaking them in some hot water and simple green.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Goo Gone will take it off without any damage to the plastic. Sray it on, let it set and wipe paint off. Good for any overspray. Will not take off underlayer of paint unless you scrub like a maniac
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Supplier?

Originally Posted by oldzy
I just picked up a new set (resto parts) of tail lights for a 72 Cutlass Supreme, and all the red lenses on the inside are caked with silver paint. I could only get a bit of it off. Is this normal? How did yours look? tx
Who did you buy these from? I've restored the lenses on my 72 last year using Maguires plastic finish to polish out scratches, then repain ( a very time consuming job ). I also found some NOS lenses that I couldn't resist buying for a most excellent price. Even the NOS lenses have some (very small amount of overspray, but on the outside not the inside). Ummm, this wouldn't be from BAP by any chance would it? If it is, good luck getting an exchange.

If you're at all interested, there's a set of these on evilbay (all four lenses - NOS GM) on this link: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
There's 2 days to go, but you can see what I mean about even GM overspray.

Here are pics of my 72 lenses. The ones on the left I restored myself. The ones on the right are NOS. I like my work better than GM's. What do you think?

IMG_0841.jpg?t=1257617741
I took the time to carefully mask the outline of each lens. It really came out nice. This takes a LOT of time.
IMG_0840.jpg?t=1257617916
Upper lense shows "significant but acceptable" GM overspray. Lower lens isn't as bad. Even GM standards are ??? at times. But when you're bulk manufacturing, lots gets by "quality" control. The missing trunk deck reveal molding is all polished and ready to be installed, just not in the pic right now.
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Thx for the info, pics, etc.

The tail lights are from Fusick. I am still waiting on a reply.

In re to the ebay link, yep... already bid on that one a while ago. I see even those NOS ones need a silver paint touch up also from the pics they put up.
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thx for the info, pics, etc.

The tail lights are from Fusick. I am still waiting on a reply.

In re to the ebay link, yep... already bid on that one a while ago. I see even those NOS ones need a silver paint touch up also from the pics they put up.
Fusicks?? Holy Hanna. Well one thing I'm sure of is that if you sent those pics to them and asked what gives, they'll treat you right. I've never had anything but good products from them. I'd bet money that they'll ship you new ones, and make sure they're good before they send them out, at no extra charge to you. I'd also be surprised if they didn't apologize for what happened. Keep us up to speed ok?
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Smile

Nice job on the side you refurbished Allan.
I've got a set of NOS lenses that look similar to those ones on ebay, at least the ones with open boxes.
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Yes, they look really good. How about the housings though Allan? Did you clean them up also, or get repros? What about the black bolts? My originals are faded.
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, they look really good. How about the housings though Allan? Did you clean them up also, or get repros? What about the black bolts? My originals are faded.
The housings were in perfect shape. The seals were intact and no water leakage. Interior white color and sockets were like new so I didn't touch them. The gravel guards on the inside of the bumper are an easy media blast and recoat. On the side that is exposed to the rocks and crud, I sprayed them with 3M rubberized undercoating for extra protection. The bolts are originals and have not been touched except by the screwdriver I used to take them out with. I've read lots of times where guys do nut and bolt resto's using black oxide finishing.
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Cameo White
Nice job on the side you refurbished Allan.
I've got a set of NOS lenses that look similar to those ones on ebay, at least the ones with open boxes.
I was tempted to buy them and clean them up. They went for a measly $100.00 for the set of 4. Someone got a good deal that should be easy to clean up. The repros from Fusicks are around 39.00 each if I remember right. Maybe I'll buy some driver lenses and fixem for fun to trade at swap meets. Could be a conversation starter?? If that doesn't work, I'll find some Hooter's girls to stand around my table. Then we could play the Jimmy Kendall game "Guess what's in my pocket?"
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Damn. No reply from Fusicks yet after 4 days. Will give them a few more days to respond.
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

Allan R - Are you for hire?? Beautiful tail lights, beautiful engine, beautiful rotors and gold calipers, beautiful car! I gotta lot of Cutlass Envy goin on here!
No more pics.... I can't take it!!!
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Received my replacements from Fusick. They look pretty good. I still have to cover the shipping costs to send the originals back. I also received no apologies at all. Oh well.

Last edited by oldzy; November 18th, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Return to sender? Ya, COD!!

Received my replacements from Fusick. They look pretty good. I still have to cover the shipping costs to send the originals back. I also received no apologies at all... oh well.

You're kidding right? I assume the lower one is the replacement. The top one looks like one of the oversprayed ones that got cleaned up a bit.

NO, NO, NO, and NO! I would not pay to send them back. Send them collect if they want them returned. No way you should have to pay 2x for a mistake on their part. I'm really surprised and disappointed that you didn't hear an apology from them.
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Allan R - Are you for hire?? Beautiful tail lights, beautiful engine, beautiful rotors and gold calipers, beautiful car! I gotta lot of Cutlass Envy goin on here!
No more pics.... I can't take it!!!
For hire? Hmmmmm that's what the Mrs. asked me 18 years ago. Silly me, I didn't understand and said yes. Been an interesting road and lots of great journeys. Used to be built for speed and endurance, now its for comfort and ummm never mind.

Oh!! You mean to work on cars?? Yeah, I guess so. I need to dedicate some time to work on mine too. I have a serious case of garage envy going on with that barn the prettiest one calls home now.

No more pics? Are u nuts? CO lives for pics!

2008_0314MILLER0033.jpg?t=1258608856

This paint job still looks amazing now as it did when it was first done 23 years ago. BC/CC (Sandy, that means base coat with a clear coat finish)

2008_0314MILLER0013.jpg?t=1258608564
Hard to see, but the tires still have the little rubber tips from molding. OMG these tires are 23 years old. These SS111s were bought new and have only been on this car. Total mileage: around 600 miles

Y71Thermometerjog.jpg?t=1258609011

This is a NOS Y71 Thermometer. Yikes! $289.00 + shipping. Looks great though.
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

You're killing me here, bud!! What a beauty you have!!!
The tail light lenses I got for my birthday from Fusicks also have that overspray on the lenses - I went out and looked after reading Oldzy's first thread - though not as bad as the lenses he received. So I will need to clean them some. I have some Meguiars plastix lens cleaner stuff. It works on the lights of the Intrigue, so I thought I would try it.

Now I want Oldsmobile mud flaps too!!! Where'd you get those??

Every time I see your car, I want something!!!
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Captain of my ship

making a list

Get yourself a clipboard and some paper. Write it all down and hang it in the shed somewhere by the car. If you get any of the list cross it off. The list will never be done
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

True..... how true! I am going to be looking for those mud flaps now, though!
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Captain of my ship

Better find them soon cause now that they don't make Olds they don't seem to be making new ones at least at the auto parts places around here. i saw a couple last month but did not get them. They were in the clearance bin.
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Oldsdruid

I always wondered who was paying those ridiculous prices for those things!

List price in 1974 $10.83 plus .3 hr installation time. And nobody bought them.

That's why there's so many NOS ones now!
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You're killing me here, bud!! What a beauty you have!!! ...............
Now I want Oldsmobile mud flaps too!!! Where'd you get those??

Every time I see your car, I want something!!!
Thanks Sandy. Every time I look at it, I keep thinking about something else I want too!! Girl, you are contagious. Only thing is, girls make lists. Guys are impulse buyers. We want it, we go git it! C'mon now, you know ya wwaannnnnnnt it! That's what plastic is for

About the mudflaps...dag nab it! They're 23 years old too. Bought them from an Olds dealer when I got my car back from the body shop. Shoulda stocked up I guess. I found some different ones at a local parts store and put them on my 98. When I get home, I'll take a pic if it's not too dark and post it for ya. I think you can still get them. They're not GM, but they do say Oldsmobile. Just a different style (letters are silver - you will like that cause they're shiiiiiiiny! Ow! ok my bad).

Did you find the stuff you were looking for on that Fusicks 43C catalogue?
Oh oh, the boss is coming. Gotta go!!! He's a Dodge guy and doesn't understand wasting time on the "puter".
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Captain of my ship

I used to see them at Canadian Tire but there are none now but last month I saw some at a different canadian Tire store marked as a clearance Item.
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Allan R
Thanks Sandy. Every time I look at it, I keep thinking about something else I want too!! Girl, you are contagious. Only thing is, girls make lists. Guys are impulse buyers. We want it, we go git it! C'mon now, you know ya wwaannnnnnnt it! That's what plastic is for

About the mudflaps...dag nab it! They're 23 years old too. Bought them from an Olds dealer when I got my car back from the body shop. Shoulda stocked up I guess. I found some different ones at a local parts store and put them on my 98. When I get home, I'll take a pic if it's not too dark and post it for ya. I think you can still get them. They're not GM, but they do say Oldsmobile. Just a different style (letters are silver - you will like that cause they're shiiiiiiiny! Ow! ok my bad).

Did you find the stuff you were looking for on that Fusicks 43C catalogue?
Oh oh, the boss is coming. Gotta go!!! He's a Dodge guy and doesn't understand wasting time on the "puter".

I do make lists... only because I suffer from CRS! (can't remember shi*) I'm afraid my plastic is getting thin! But where there's a will, there's a way!! I'm very will-ful! I'm avaliable for adoption too!!

I haven't had time to do a search for mudflaps yet today. I do like shiny!! It makes me happy! Silver and Gold.... Gold and Silver

Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from Cutlass Envy!!

Yes I did download the new Fusicks catalog... Thanks for letting me know. There's lots of stuff in there! I like stuff!!
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Captain of my ship

Yeah girls do like that shiny stuff gold, silver, diamonds guys like shiny too chrome shiny paint etc.
I can see you now sittin by the computer looking through the catalog , writing down #'s You can always make a list ...it's just harder to get things crossed off that list
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Cutlass Lover

I hate to let you down, but I don't care much for jewelry!!! The prettiest one would look good with a few diamonds, though!!! Maybe around the valve covers...hmmm.... I do like chrome... shiny pretty chrome..... my favorite color is chrome!! And I do like wax.... and mirror finishes.... and beautiful gold engines.... and boosters.... and calipers.... and anything that says Oldsmobile in silver letters!!!

I'm not your ordinary girl, I reckon!
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I hate to let you down, but I don't care much for jewelry!!! The prettiest one would look good with a few diamonds, though!!! Maybe around the valve covers...hmmm.... I do like chrome... shiny pretty chrome..... my favorite color is chrome!! And I do like wax.... and mirror finishes.... and beautiful gold engines.... and boosters.... and calipers.... and anything that says Oldsmobile in silver letters!!!

Nope, probably not. HEY!! Gottanidea!!! Over the winter make yourself a racing suit out of Gold and Silver cloth and iron on lots of chrome patches with Olds logos.

mmmmmmmm goooolllddd, mmmmmmmm siiiillllllvvvver, mmmmmmmm shiiiiiiiiiny! mmmmmmm beeeeerrrrr! I'd drive down just to see it in person. Course, then I'd wanna touch too! and that might not go over well.

Say what? NOOO.... I was talking about your car. My Mrs. would kill me if I touched something gold, silver and shiny that wasn't a car. What were ya thinkin????
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Cutlass Lover

Old November 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Registered

Want to come over and detail my kitchen Sandy?
The fixtures are chrome and the floor needs waxing.
You can polish the mirrors in the baths too since you like their finish.
I'll even get a mop and paint Oldsmoble in silver letters on it for you.

signed: His evil twinness,
Redgoat

Ha! Bluevista didn't sign out again.

He won't give me his password.

The understatement of the century.
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Cutlass Lover

Goat.... Red Goat..... Kiss my..... grits!!!!! Get off of Bluevistas computer, or he'll kick your a$$, and I'll laugh!!!!!

Your last comment I will take as a compliment..... ordinary = borrrrrrrrring! Eeewwwww....