General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Should I buy this????

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Should I buy this????

Hey guys, im new to this forum and I need your input. I found a 1962 Cutlass F85 for sale locally here in Chicago. I have been buy and selling old cars my whole life but this one im not sure about because honestly, I have never seen one of these. Now keep in mind, I am only willing to buy this car to make some money on it. It is all original and has no rot on it. A little surface rust but thats it. The only rust hole is on the fuel door. It has no motor or trans. I did find a 215 and 2 speed trans on craigslist for $650. But it was pulled out of a 62 buick 20 years ago. The interior is only missing the arm rests and I think the exterior is only missing the center part of the rear bumper. The guy is at $1,000 firm. I dont know if i should buy it and leave it as a roller and just clean it up and try to make a quick few bucks. Should I try and buy that motor and trans and throw it in?

Let me know what you guys think.

Here are the pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sublime69; July 10th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Interior pics.
Attached Images
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O.

Hmmm, way I see it is that's a project car. You're a flipper. Don't see much $$$ to be made on your end. Prolly the seller is in the same boat. Guess it depends on what kind of margins you are looking for. Don't know how big the market is for those though. 62 Cutlass is a nice looking car when it's all cleaned up and running.

Vintage ad from rocket 100:

The interior looks good, and there's some of the parts in the trunk. Having an eng/trans to go with the car 'may' be a good idea.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:30 PM

That doesn't look like a quick flip to me. And if I was looking for a project I wouldn't wanna spend much on a car in that shape. I would steer clear...but that's me.
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Interesting that the van behind that car says A. DeNovi Services. Would that be the business of Steve DiNovi, former OCA president? I seem to recall he was in the HVAC business and from Tinley Park.
If it is, I'd think he would know pretty well what any Olds is worth.

BTW, while the Buick 215 would fit, it's not exactly the same as the original Olds 215.
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:31 AM

Let someone who appreciates the car buy it , not what i call a money maker.
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I could be wrong, but demand for those is not high, and it needs a lot.

I think the price s too high to make any money on.

Someone who loves it might pay that much, do a lot of work, and be happy, but I doubt you could come out ahead.

- Eric
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:18 AM

Eric is correct. The demand for these cars is nothing like it is for the later year Cutlasses.

According to the August issue of the Old Cars Price Guide, a car like this in #5 condition (non-running but restorable) is worth about $1400. But this car has no engine or transmission, so that would certainly lower its value. But if you can put that Buick engine and transmission in for the $650 you mention, and not counting the value of your labor, you'd have $1650 invested in the car if you bought it and did what you say.

A '62 Cutlass coupe in #4 condition (runs and drives but needs complete restoration) is worth about $2400. These are very average values, and with some pieces missing, the value would be lower.

Then you have to find a buyer.

One of the truest of truisms in the old car hobby is that you don't get in it to make money. You are very unlikely to be able to turn this car around and sell it for enough to cover your cost of buying and fixing it up. The numbers above suggest that you might recover a few hundred dollars if you could really buy it and get it running for something in the high teens and then sell it for something in the low $2000s, but those are big ifs.

If you're looking to make money, take the $1650 and put it in something safer, like pork bellies!