General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Shipping the W25 hood

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Olds fanatic

Shipping the W25 hood

I have a 1970 W25 Ram Air hood for sale and I have a potential buyer who is out of state. I only advertised the hood locally because I did not want to have to worry about crating/packing it for shipping.

I really don't want to build a crate for it and it would make me nervous shipping it anyway. It's in North Texas and would be looking to ship it to California.

But...if I must

Have you guys had any success with this? I know the mfg like Thorton ship these all the time.

I'm also thinking that the packing and shipping costs might just make the cost of the hood too much anyway.

Thoughts?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Crating it is the only way. I wouldn't want to risk it either, so I would specifically state pick up only.
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Hi Kevin, The hood that Thornton had shipped to me came in a very large heavy duty double wall cardboard box with styrofoam inserts, it may have also had wood re-enforcements as well. It came all the way down here and arrived in perfect condition. I did not pay for the shipping because it had been a replacement I'd recieved for letting a fellow NTOC'r use my previously acquired (at Nationals) Thornton hood for an urgent project. I am surprised that nobody local within driving distance is showing interest in your hood. I will presume that you have made it known to the three Texas clubs, and other local advertising resources. Personally, I'd be very reluctant to ship it, especially not having the prefabbed box. Your trouble, time, and liability is not accounted for. It would also depend on how long have you had it in the market. Regardless, good luck
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Old School Olds

Well now guys, let's wait a minute...How much?
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by kpl70sx
I have a 1970 W25 Ram Air hood for sale and I have a potential buyer who is out of state. I only advertised the hood locally because I did not want to have to worry about crating/packing it for shipping.

I really don't want to build a crate for it and it would make me nervous shipping it anyway. It's in North Texas and would be looking to ship it to California.

But...if I must

Have you guys had any success with this? I know the mfg like Thorton ship these all the time.

I'm also thinking that the packing and shipping costs might just make the cost of the hood too much anyway.

Thoughts?
You might want to check with Eric (jensenracing77). He had to ship one of those hoods from IN to TX a while back. Maybe he could tell you how he solved his dilemna.
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Well now guys, let's wait a minute...How much?
Thanks for the responses. I don't think I'm going to ship it. I had it wrapped up good and put it in a uhaul trailer that I pulled from California to Texas when I moved here a few years back. That worked really well.

I've got two guys interested in it locally...one seems willing to negotiate a price, the other seems willing to wait me out.

It's currently only listed on Craigslist and has been up for less than a week.

Here's the ad if you're interested:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/3214448201.html
Old August 25th, 2012, 06:57 AM

Kevin, You need to edit your Craigslist posting to enter keywords "Oldsmobile, and Olds", I think that this would help your traffic, and interest. If I did not already have a spare, I'd snag it...
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:03 AM
The Rocket Astronomer

" I've got two guys interested in it locally...one seems willing to negotiate a price, the other seems willing to wait me out. "

i'm not either guy but i can put in my local bid. 2k and will drive up from south texas for local pick-up. like to help a local out
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Kevin - I looked at the CL ad. You might want to revisit the price on there. It showed up on my puter as $1.00 I'm sure you want more than that
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by lunaboy
" I've got two guys interested in it locally...one seems willing to negotiate a price, the other seems willing to wait me out. "

i'm not either guy but i can put in my local bid. 2k and will drive up from south texas for local pick-up. like to help a local out
Hey thanks for the interest and the offer. But I'm really not willing to come down that much yet. Thanks again.
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Arrrggggg

Nice hood, I need one myself but def more than I would ever pay. I'm too cheap! LOL

Texas must pull some good prices for Olds stuff. And here I thought Eric's damn near "mint" OAI hood for 1800 was extremely expensive. LOL
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by lunaboy

Not trying to jack the posters thread just seen this and figured I would help a member out, my apologies in advance.

Luna,
If your seriously looking to buy one grab the one from Eric, Jensenracing for 1850. I've personally seen it and it's the nicest I have seen for sale in a long time.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/3218673248.html
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by Creativeindy
Not trying to jack the posters thread
...and yet you did.

Originally Posted by Creativeindy
just seen this and figured I would help a member out, my apologies in advance
...seems like you could have accomplished that with a PM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:08 PM

PM sent