General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Shipping odd size parts

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Shipping odd size parts

Does anyone have any suggestions for shipping odd sized parts? I recently sold some door panels on this site. The smallest box I could make them fit in is 48"x 35" x 6". It weighs 25#. The initial quote from UPS was $104.00. Took it to USPS and they were at 116.00. Somebody suggested Fastenal and their quote was $125.00. So I decided Motor freight would have to be cheaper. Took them to Yellow Freight lines and they quoted me $199.00. This is crazy.......
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:02 PM

Try greyhound bus line. I bought a fender for an olds 98, so it was pretty large and it was well under 100 bucks.
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Steve, I know exactly how you feel. Imagine what kind of nightmare I go through importing stuff from the USA to here! It would be almost cheaper to drive down and pick it up on a bundle order.

BTW, anything that's as large as a door panel is automatically in the category of 'Oversize' and that's where they get the best gouge for your buck. The unfortunate part is the buyer is the one who's stuck with the shipping bill and should know it's pricey to ship even before committing to buy. Usually I ask folks if they want a shipping cost before they commit. If it's too pricey, I let them walk away with no hard feelings.

Sucks to buy stuff and pay more for shipping than the part most times now.
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Steve, I know exactly how you feel. Imagine what kind of nightmare I go through importing stuff from the USA to here! It would be almost cheaper to drive down and pick it up on a bundle order.

BTW, anything that's as large as a door panel is automatically in the category of 'Oversize' and that's where they get the best gouge for your buck. The unfortunate part is the buyer is the one who's stuck with the shipping bill and should know it's pricey to ship even before committing to buy. Usually I ask folks if they want a shipping cost before they commit. If it's too pricey, I let them walk away with no hard feelings.

Sucks to buy stuff and pay more for shipping than the part most times now.
Allan the bad part is I was cleaning out the garage and getting rid of stuff I did not reuse on my car. Stuff that could be cleaned up and reused for a driver but not high dollar stuff. More or less in my mind trying to help out another enthusiast vs throwing something away. After all the trips to the different shippers and packaging etc along with the headache I wish I had just thrown them in the trash! I am going to try Greyhound tomorrow
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:28 PM

Bicycle and TV boxes are great for door panels. They are expensive to ship FEDEX is actually not too bad as they all go. But, it is pricey no matter who does it. Has anyone asked Fastenal they ship weird stuff for decent prices.
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:41 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by DLaz70OLDS98
Try greyhound bus line. I bought a fender for an olds 98, so it was pretty large and it was well under 100 bucks.
X2 I bought two 65 cutlass fenders and both wrapped togeather was under 100 bucks and shipping was like three days

Edit you can call grey hound or check on line if you know weight and size of box and you need the name and zip code of the closes grey hound to the person receiving the parts as they will need to pick them up

Last edited by oldstata; August 1st, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:20 PM

sign up for a fedex acct..the discount is huge..if you really start to sell a bunch they will find you...

you can print the labels off the net etc..

i personally would never sell anything like that..the shipping just flat kills the deal..if i do, i have it boxed, sized weighed etc before i even offer it..when the guy asks about it, i get a zip run the quote...make sure they understand its oversized..and they make the decision..taking the money then asking for more is a bad...very bad...i learned the hard way..i'm pickey what i sell on forums...stuff like that goes local on craigslist...as pick up only...

older i get the pickier i am about big packages..i hate them

and...if i do something like those...i talk to the buyer...and make them understand..i will ship greyhound freight collect...that way they are confident they pay actual costs plus a 5 buck service charge...prob 80 to 90 bux to ship everything is 75 to 80 bux over there for some reason..and i have never not completed a deal when i offer the freight collet grey hound it always happens

BIG deal on greyhound..you can only ship collect from business to business...you have to be a little pushy but they give in..so it has to be from one business to another..so if i sell to Dave...his business becomes Daves restorations....never had a prob