General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

shipping a car question?

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM

shipping a car question?

i bought a 72 cutlass in NC. who would you have ship this to Indiana. has anyone had experience with this? i was also thinking of flying out and driving it home.
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Is that the Scott 442 Cutlass? I would fly out and drive her home.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Is that the Scott 442 Cutlass? I would fly out and drive her home.
yes it is. i would love to but am tired of driving. i took the family to St Louis and then we went to the nationals and now looking at a 12 hour drive from NC. if i drive i will want to take a detour through the Smokey Mt. i may do it. we went to the flight 93 sight in PA while at the nationals and also am nervous after that.
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Captain of my ship

chances

Well your chances of being in a plane crash is much lower than being in a car crash of course you are considering flying out to drive it home. That would probably save you a lot of money.There are companies you can find online that will ship car professionaly or you may find a local guy do it cheaper but I would definately want someone with lots of insurance if they shipped the car , just in case. If it was me I would go out and drive it back , but I like driving.
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM

I have used Hillbilly Auto Transport twice and was very pleased both times. I got a nice discount the 2nd time ($600 from Chicago to Miami) Maybe a referral from me will get you a discount
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i bought a 72 cutlass in NC. who would you have ship this to Indiana. has anyone had experience with this? i was also thinking of flying out and driving it home.
Looks like a nice car Eric, glad to see an Olds guy bought it! Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the Nats....I was there with my '65 Vista. A guy was asking me questions about the roof glass and needed one. He needs the driver's side. If the '70 side glass is the same as the '67, and yours is in good shape, I think I might have it sold for you. I have the guys info. When you get a chance, and you can verify the 2 years are the same, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him!
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Moment Member

LSX Transport has never done me wrong. I've done 2 or 3 cars through them. $1000 from New York to Chicago, $500 from Detroit to Chicago. Covered or enclosed. Enclosed is more expensive. I would go enclosed, you never know when a rock may fly up or something. They itemize all dings and dents before they ship on a sheet displaying a car's silouette so when you take delivery you don't have any problems. Good guys.
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Intercity auto transport moved a couple cars for me. Was not the cheapest around but they have nice equipment and are a ligitimate operation.
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM

looks like i will be flying out.
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Looks like a nice car Eric, glad to see an Olds guy bought it! Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the Nats....I was there with my '65 Vista. A guy was asking me questions about the roof glass and needed one. He needs the driver's side. If the '70 side glass is the same as the '67, and yours is in good shape, I think I might have it sold for you. I have the guys info. When you get a chance, and you can verify the 2 years are the same, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him!
the driver side top glass is not broke but the tint is not good and has had moisture in between the glass. i was going to look some of you guys up on Friday but with the rain and my wife getting homesick for the kids, we decided to go home. all i heard is I'm cold, i miss the kids, my legs hurt,....... so next time i will be there by myself. or the kids will be with us and stay in the host hotel.
Old July 19th, 2009, 05:17 PM

I flew out to SC to pick up my 72 and drove her back to dallas, tx...

Maybe pay the seller to have a mechanic check it out, change oil, check brake parts, and fix any other minor issues.

I toured the coast, and also detoured through the Smokies and Blue Ridge PKwy so I made it a small vacation. The memories from that trip were priceless...

I encourage you to drive her home!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; July 19th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Captain of my ship

X2

You just have to make sure she will have no problems on the trip.Other than the motor check out the front suspension and brakes , don't want to break anything on the drive. I love driving these old cars on trips and though yours is a long trip it will get you familiar with your "new" car along the way. Here's hoping you have an uneventfull trip
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM

was talking to the guys at work today. i think one of them may go with me. the rest want us to brake down. after talking about it we looked back at stuff that happened in our past and the most fun memories are when something unexpected happen. not that i want something to happen but figure in the event that something does i will just try to remember this fact.
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Last time I went thru the Smokies my 81 POS Chevy truck's timing chain gears puked. Luckily a guy with a flatbed picked me up and brought me 40 miles west of Nashville to a spot near my mothers house for $100. He only wanted me to cover his extra fuel for the tow. Damn, that was over 20 years ago. I love Tennessee!
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM

turns out that i will have 2 friends go with me and we will take a truck and trailer. going to be a long weekend.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:22 AM
Captain of my ship

great

seems like it turned out ok for you after all. The truck and trailer is a good idea cause then you make sure it gets home , plus 3 drivers means you can nap along the way. as long as its not when you are driving